Unable to sleep...any suggestions

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder in January after having pain and what I thought was either a pinched nerve or a pulled muscle for 2 months prior. After trying acupuncture and dealing with it myself, I finally sought out an orthopedic surgeon who did the diagnosis. He wrote a script for physical therapy which I started to do; however one of the aspects of the therapy included deep massage which was painful and I am not sure the person doing it knew anything about frozen shoulders. I decided to quit going to physical therapy and just do it on my own. One of the worst things is just not getting a good night's sleep. I can't lay on the shoulder and even laying on my good shoulder causes pain in my bad shoulder so I wind up propping myself up on 3 pillows and catching a couple of hours here and there. Does anyone have suggestions? Also, sometimes the pain is really bad with the pain traveling down my arm and into my hand. I have read with interest on this forum about overdoing the physical exercises and I think I am guilty of doing just that so going to really back off for a while to see if that helps. Anyway, any suggestions on sleep would be great.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kathie

I'm know the he'll you are going thru with frozen should, I got mine in spring of 2017. and yes, just to get a good night sleep was difficult. I ended up restoring to sleep aid for a bit just to enjoy 8 hours of sleep . I think I'm at the thawing stage now but there are days where my left shoulder will act up and I have difficulty sleeping.

if you are going through menapause it's one of the many symptoms we have to deal with.

post your message in the perimenapause group and they provide some helpful ideas🤗

• Posted

Thanks so much. I have resorted to sleeping aids occasionally as well but don't want to get into the habit. I also use multiple pillows and a heating pad, but besides my shoulder and arm pain, now my neck and back hurt sometimes just from the scrunched up position I wind up in!!! I believe I am still in that awful freezing stage...looking forward to when the pain subsides. This is one of the worst things I have ever had. By the way, am way past the menopause stage in my life. again, thanks so much for replying.

• Posted

Sleeping is really a problem, I could sleep a little by setting with my back against the arm of our couch with my good shoulder against the back of the couch. That seemed to take most of the pressure off the bad shoulder, some people sleep in a recliner. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi, I've done that as well. Helps for a little while. Guess I'm looking for a magic cure for the sleeping situation but will just have to be patient and wait this thing out. Thanks for the reply!

• Posted

hi kathi

i was diagnosed with frozen shoulder last july. i have went through all the painful sleeess nights until i eventually went to the dr. i was in so much pain he put me on maxitram another name for tramadol and zopiclone sleeping tablets. im still on them to this day and just waiting on an appointment for the procedure known as hydro dilatation to hopefully finally rid me of this frozen shoulder x

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply. One thing that really helps is hearing other people have the same issues. Good luck with the hydrodilation(spelling?). I've read that a lot of folks have had it done and it's something I may comsider.

• Posted

Kathi,

Nothing to really suggest from me other than just encouragement that it will get better. I was diagnosed with FS in December of 2017. I tried massage which felt good but got expensive really fast. I went to a few PT sessions before deciding nothing was really going to help and just making the best of it.

In December of '18 I went to Hawaii and was able to paddle into my first wave. Last week I played my first round of golf.

Do what you can to stay comfortable, keep your spirits up, and get tough. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks so much...so nice to hear from folks that there is light at the end of this tunnel. Great that you can start doing the things you love. PT for me was pain and torture so just dialed way back and will do things gently for a while to see if the pain decreases a bit. This is one crazy condition!

• Posted

hi

i was diagnosed with frozen shoulder in jan 2018 , im 49 and active and this came out the blue,

for me to the sleepless nights was the hardest thing and found the best way was to have my arm hanging out the bed down towards the floor . after great physiotherapy ( and it was no pain no gain ) and sticking to the workouts he give me im now pain free and almost have all my movement back , it was hard work but there is light at the end of the tunnel , good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I too, am active...used to swimming 50-60 laps a day so it's been hard not to continue. I found, tho, that after several weeks of rigorous PT both at a facility and at home, my pain was just unbearable so have decided to cut back. Thanks for the tip about hanging my arm over the side. Will definitely try that!

• Posted

Hi Kathi,

So sorry you are experiencing pain especially when you try to sleep. My injury finally drove me to a doctor. Here's what helped with the same situation of pain that prevented sleep and radiating pain down into my arm and elbow. An orthopedic surgeon recommended a steroid injection to help loosen up the scar tissue. I also took Tylenol and Ibuprufen for pain especially at bedtime. I used her recommended exercise. I'll call it 'wind up to throw the bowling ball (thumb forward, rotate your arm up and over and then scratch your sore shoulder in front...don't forget the last part as it really helps the pain to stop...not sure why). Follow this up with 15 minutes of applied ice (cloth between ice and shoulder). Determined to avoid surgery, I resolutely tried this excruciating exercise. I needed some extra leverage and frankly some courage. Standing in the shower I leaned against wet tile, my shoulder up against it and threw my arm up and over. I admit I couldn't do it at first. I kept trying and only once or twice daily while in the shower. I had to move away from the shower wall at the beginning because my shoulder was too 'rusty' and painful to stand against the wall during the upward rotation. Each day it got easier until at the end of two weeks I was able to perform this operation outside of the shower, reach the drive-up atm, etc. The ortho said it takes 4 weeks. I was very persistent! I had to sleep with pillows and fell asleep with an ice bag against my shoulder until I felt better. My orthopedic surgeon was happy to see me for the 4 week follow-up, all better. Don't give up on feeling better. It worked for me, but I suggest you ask your ortho about the exercise before you try it as it may not be right for you. If you cannot do the exercise my ortho suggested, maybe a different physical therapist can help you with exercises and do the massage. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi, Christine...not sure I could do that exercise but will slowly try it out. I have been taking tylenol at night which seems to help a bit. I took your advice and put pillows all around my shoulder and it did help...so thanks so much for the tip. Patience seems to be the key here, and I am guilty of not having so much when it comes to me!

• Posted

Hi Kathy

I to have exactly the same as you and its hell sleeping at night. A week ago i got 6 hours which i have'nt had for 3 months as its normally one hour sleep and then up for a hour all though the night. I bought the Ponang rocking chair from ikea . when you lie flat your arm hasnt got the gravity it needs and your shoulder joint squeezes up and causes the pain. I alternate thoughout the night from bed to chair and when im in the chair my arm dangles down the side. The rocking is comforting . I also listen to my Spotify playlist through headphones as well. That might seem strange but it gives me something to focus on when the pain is wrenching my shoulder down through my arm into my hand. My husband in the morning massages my arm too which really helps. A friend said use lots of ice not heat and also she said try the camomile "Teapig" company teabags. Im exhausted most days but im going to fight this as much as i can and i know that it will go eventually. I pushed really hard to get the hydrodilation procedure which im having next week. The more people i tell the more people i find who have had this dreadful thing and the more advise i get. I do hope you get thought this as quickly as possible.

• Posted

My husband has started gently massaging my shoulder as well and it does help some. I also listen to music at night...meditation type stuff...and it helps if I really concentrate on it, not allowing any thoughts to interrupt me. I never even heard of a frozen shoulder and hoping i never have another one! Reading some of the posts about people having it happen to both shoulders sometimes simultaneously freaks me out. Positive thinking, right? Anyway, thanks for the sleeping tips. It's nice to hear about others' experiences in dealing with this.

• Posted

Hi Kathi, sleeping for me was a no no. I am six weeks post op and had to go back and have a cortisone injection last Friday. I had P.T. twice weekly which involved deep tissue massage but my surgeon advised me to cut it back to once a week. I do my own exercises at home and i find the one using a rope and pully good for getting a little more movement.

I am sorry that i did not ask my GP for sleeping tablets which i could take the odd night just to give me a break from the sleepless nights.

I am not sleeping great even after all that i have had done but my surgeon said i need to give it six months after the operation.

I'm sorry to say but i have found nothing to help the lack of sleep.

Try to keep the arm and shoulder moving. I feel you pain.

• Posted

Hoping you and I both get some sleep one of these days. Moving my arm more gently than before as I think I was really overdoing it with the exercises. Just looking forward to when this ends and trying to stay positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.