Unable to sleep...any suggestions

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder in January after having pain and what I thought was either a pinched nerve or a pulled muscle for 2 months prior. After trying acupuncture and dealing with it myself, I finally sought out an orthopedic surgeon who did the diagnosis. He wrote a script for physical therapy which I started to do; however one of the aspects of the therapy included deep massage which was painful and I am not sure the person doing it knew anything about frozen shoulders. I decided to quit going to physical therapy and just do it on my own. One of the worst things is just not getting a good night's sleep. I can't lay on the shoulder and even laying on my good shoulder causes pain in my bad shoulder so I wind up propping myself up on 3 pillows and catching a couple of hours here and there. Does anyone have suggestions? Also, sometimes the pain is really bad with the pain traveling down my arm and into my hand. I have read with interest on this forum about overdoing the physical exercises and I think I am guilty of doing just that so going to really back off for a while to see if that helps. Anyway, any suggestions on sleep would be great.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had 3 cortisone before surgery and 2 after surgery. Cortisone works great for a lot of people, (not everyone) it gave me some pain relief but it is not the cure. It has been 1 year since surgery and I still am not pain free so it does take a long time.

• Posted

Wow...you really have gone through a lot. I had a cortisone shot but never worked much if at all. Patience, I guess, is the key here.

• Posted

I had frozen shoulder a few years ago and was due to go in for surgery 3 days prior to holidays. Luckily I was advised of an alternative treatment - laser heat therapy which cured it! I had 4 sessions of laser heat and followed up with rubbing magnesium oil into the shoulder twice a day - leave it on for 15 mins then wipe off. The only exercise I did was to stand against a wall and walk my fingers up and down 10 times increasing to 30 times over a period of time.

• Posted

Interesting...never had laser heat mentioned before. The magnesium oil sounds interesting, tho. I will do some research on it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Posted

A FRIEND OF MINE WHO LIVES IN SPAIN ADVISED ME ABOUT LASER HEAT THERAPY IT IS GREATBEST THING WAS MY HUSBAND ALSO AVAILED OF THIS TO CURE A LEG ULCER HE HAD FOR EASILY 10 years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.