Uncomfortable feeling Under Left Lower Ribs and varying bowel movements

Posted , 173 users are following.

To try cut a long story as short as I can I have basically had an uncomfortable feeling under my lower left ribs and some irregular bowel movements for the last 3 months that don't seem to show any signs of disappearing. Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?

With regards to the feeling in the ribs at no point has it been massively painful to the point where I have needed to take any pain killers or anything like that. It just feels more uncomfortable than anything else rather than painful as if there is something under my ribs that should be there. The lower left ribs feel bruised to touch but again not that painful.

I play football and go to the gym and have been able to continue both without any trouble or issues.

With regards to my bowels they have just been a bit all over the place since it started really. At first I kind of felt constipated and was having bowel movements but size and quantity wise there wasn't as much coming out as normal or as expected and had a feeling of not fully emptying.

In the last month that has changed slightly in that I have had a couple of what I would call regular sized and quantity movements but they seem to happen every 3 or 4 days and in between the movements are the fairly small quantities mentioned and usually very irregular shapes and sizes although the feeling of not emptying seems to have gone or reduced.

I have been to see my GP 3 or four times since this started. First couple of times they had a feel around and couldn't feel anything untoward and suggested it was just a bit of constipation so suggest some over the counter laxitives and then when that didnt work prescribed some Laxido sachets which again didnt do anything really.

I have now had a blood test and an chest xray that I am awaiting the results of and have an ultrasound booked in but that isn't for another 3 weeks.

In the meantime I just really suffering a bit mentally not knowing what this is and obviously worrying this could be something serious. Just keep searching and searching online and must have diagnosed myself with about 25 different things which I know is silly but can't help it. I am someone that never usually gets ill so this is very out of the ordinary for me.

I am only 32 and lead a pretty active lifestyle, eat well, don't smoke and don't drink too much, weight and BMI is all in the decent range - all things which my GP keeps telling me means that it being something serious is unlikely but at the same time it doesn't show any sign of easing up.

Not had any diarrhea at all in the 3 months although stools have been pretty soft the whole time even when not much is coming out. Not had any blood in my stools that I have been able to notice.

Its just so frustrating as for 3 months whilst I have been able to go to work etc I just feel like I am constantly at about 70%. I feel ok physically but not great and mentally I just feel shot to pieces.

Obviously I need to wait for my results and take from there but just seems such a drawn out affair to try and convince GP that something just doesn't feel right and just wondered if anyone had suffered anything similar to this?

8 likes, 434 replies

434 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I started acupuncture which has helped me a lot - I have also cut out all gluten, dairy, sugars and carbonated beverages. I do feel better but not 100%

The acupuncturist said to stay on this diet for 6 months to a year to let the stomach heal

• Edited

hi. I just read your description of your discomfort on the left side. I have had the exact same thing for at least a year and if I had to describe it it would sound exactly like you. I am wondering what you have found out   And if you are feeling better. I have had an ultrasound and a CT scan and neither have shown anything wrong. I am a 62-year-old healthy female. I just feel like I am afraid to  bend or stretch because I don't know what is in there. I hope you have found some answers. I am at the point of tears. 

• Posted

Hey everyone,

I have been gluten free for about 2 and a half months now... my side pain and constipation has significantly decreased. There are many gluten free products out there which helps so much. I also try to avoid beer and stick to wine. Carbonation definitely makes the pain worse too so I try to avoid that. The brain fog is still a battle though. I can't seem to get this to completely go away - I have moments throughout the day where I feel normal but then the fog returns.

• Edited

HI all, posted earlier about change in colour of stools, then found this article which relates exactly to my symptoms One question the pain I have under ribs is a burning/stabbing pain, which sometimes goes across middle by ribs and then into right side, this come and goes and I have lots of gas etc.  Is that the type of pain you are all feeling or is it more of an ache?  I convinced myself I had pancreatic cancer and googled non stop, stupid I know, anyway when to see GP last Wednesday and for the first time felt listened too. She mentioned that although I have IBS and Diverticar this all comes under a syndrome called FAPS, functional abdominal pain syndrome, which probably covers most of our complaints. Google it as it may help.
  • Edited

I had similar symptoms but got relief after I stopped wearing a bra for few days. My bra was pressing on diaphragm muscles and then causing pressure on other organs.
  • Posted

I'm having the same symptoms, but the pain is much worse and the bowl movements are regular.

I'm only 16 and I'm very worried, I have a lot of health issues already and this pain is effecting my life, I have to take breaks very often from work because of the pain.

• Posted

Hello Becca,

I hope you get better soon. The good thing is that you have regular bowel movements and like you said you're only 16, therefore, it is unlikely to be anything drastic.

I do recommend seeing your GP for the pain.

What kind of pain is it?

• Posted

I similarly problem at my left side of the stomach burning sensation as something like needle I sometime feel hurt aches at the chest I did an ultrasound and blood test for the stomach everything come good but still yet the stomach still disturb and I light and as if I am going to faint sometime...I don't know what to do anymore...not long 2 months ago I did all body MRI scan doctor only said I have disc shift at my waist back... but this stomach issue that sometime act as if I want to faint that give me concern someone should advise me what to do please

• Posted

This may be a long shot but I have been having the same symptoms along with a feeling like there's an expanding bubble under my ribs. I got checked for almost everything abdomen related and they even did a HIDA scan for my gallbladder (no gallstones were found on ultrasound) turns out, my gallbladder is not working and it's referred pain!  I know the gallbladder is on the right and I couldn't even beleive it until I saw the results that my gallbladder was only functioning at 8%. I still don't understand why the pain is in my left side but it is and my diagnosis is biliary dsykinesia. Hope that helps

• Posted

Hello, I’ve also had similar symptoms listen in this thread.

I just turned 21 years old, I’m underweight at 90 pounds (40 kg), not active whatsoever. I have depression, severe anxiety, ocd, gastritis, and gerd.

I’ve had an uncomfortable pain directly under my last rib on the left for about three weeks.

Back story: In January 1, 2017, I awoke due to pain in my abdomen and vomited acid 8 times which I believed was due to me starting birth control pills for the first time. (I later went off the pills but the symptoms remained). Since that day, every day I’ve had symptoms such as stomachaches, swelling, bloating, belching, nausea, etc. One major change was my stools. Each bowel is soft and a light brown or olive green color but no fowel odor. I go every 2 days, most times in the morning. After my many visits to hospitals and clinics one doctor suggested it was IBS and recommended the Fodmaps diet. While the diet relieved me of my abdominal pains I still had swelling on the center of my abdomen as well as a feeling of water gushing in my intestines. The diet also helped with the flare ups but the color and consistency of my stools still occur.

During January I also had chest pains which the doctor explained could be swelling on my sternum that happened for unknown reasons. Symptoms from this was extremely painful chest pain (not heartburn), pain when pressing on the sternum, dizziness, and blurred vision. EKG was normal. Never got treated for this since the pain went away after 2 weeks or so.

I should also add that since September 2016, I have had blood in my urine during each urine test they’ve done (which they said was normal but as you’ll read next it wasn’t!!) I’ve had an ultra sound, on March 24, on my abdomen and up to my chest. They found cysts on my kidneys and was confirmed with a ct scan without contrast. Numerous blood tests were normal. It will take a month for my other blood and urine tests, specifically to check the cysts of my kidneys, to be evaluated by another doctor (who specialized in this stuff I guess) for further treatment.

I also had ovarian cysts in September 2016, so I know it definitely cannot be reoccurring cysts due to the different symptoms.

I mention these because some of you have written of these problems as well so I don’t know if it might be related to the rib discomfort?

Anyway, I started feeling a discomfort under my left rib around April 20 which gradually increases and decreases randomly throughout the day, every day now. It started out of nowhereI wasn’t doing anything; I woke up with it. I stopped doing yoga as I feel it might get worse or something. Sleeping on my left side does not feel better nor worse. Sometimes when I press on my ribs it hurts, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s hard to describe what it is but it definitely feels like something is there which others have said. Don’t know if my anxiety is acting up because I find no relief from this or if I now have a rapid heartbeat or the feeling of my heart pounding very hard. When I pull on the skin around my left lower ribs it feels weird compared to the right side. I cannot concentrate on anything longer than a few minutes and I easily get tired even if I do nothing all day.

Google has lead me to believe that it might be pancreatitis but I’m really hoping its IBS or nothing serious. Don’t know if I will ever get a diagnosis for this but for now I’m going to follow the Fodmaps diet (which includes being gluten-free) more strictly to see if this relieves these symptoms. I will also eat more foods that have vitamin d and b12 while I am at it. My doctor recommended Kefir yogurt or probiotics if what I’m feeling are symptoms of having more bad bacteria in my system than good bacteria.

I’m just going crazy at this point from illness after illness. It would be very appreciated if you all kept us updated as will I. 

• Posted

Does it happen everytime after you eat or drink anything?

• Posted

Does it happen everytime after you eat or drink anything?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.