Undecided THR

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi to All,

I am new to the Forum and welcome your comments.

I am 68 y.o. and expecting to have a THR next March/April. I am not in pain, just discomfort. I am aware of the hip and it seems to catch at different times, walking is o/k, but not fast.

I am undecided in regard to the operation because I am unaware of what level of mobility may be regained or restricted after the op.I intend to raise this with the surgeon later in the year.

At this time I can ride my motorcycle for about two hours before I need to have a stretch and straighten the leg, full recovery soon follows. I have decided to return to surfboard riding and continuing a flexibility program for this old body. 

Being made aware of the movement that I have now, my concern is how much will this improve or be restricted.Everywhere I read there is great emphasis in relation to the position of the hip in relation to the knee and twisting the leg inwards and outward.

Because of these activities I am really concerned about the hip popping out.

Is there a time when after a THR, the hip can be regarded as safe and secure and the activities can be continued without the thought of post op problems.

Or do I bite the bullet and delay the operation until I am in pain, and still face the same activity problems.

Thank you for reading and sorry to be long winded.

Regards

John

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kohn. I am 68 and lime you I was not in pain but discomfort. Or so I thiught. 6 months later it was the best thing I could do. The onlynrestriction is to not torque my body. Otherwise doing very well. I vote yes!

• Posted

Just a few more info helps to give a fact perspective with hip replacement decisions.

https://patient.info/blogs/sarah-says/2017/06/hip-replacements-essential-facts-and-common-causes

Many here have had more than one hip replacement. It the best alternative to continue life with a small blip with rehab. 

Its always a personl decision and for me living pain free and continue life with a better quality of life was so worth the surgery.  Osteoarthritis only gets worse as time goes by. It's always better to have THR done before serious complications loss of muscle necrosis, and more and study the best outcome on hip surgery to understand how this can help you . Many are on utube to see the different approaches and to consider if your a candidate for them.

bite the bullet is always a option I hope to encourage you to have THR and move on with life. It's easier if it's done early in the disease process before complications can be a issue.mthis is what is important to discuss with your surgeon. When your ready then you will do it as eventually in the long run it the best option available. 

Keep eps us posted what you decide. I have had both hips done and one revision. Many here will help,chime in sharing their experience. 

• Posted

dear john, 

it is really a personal decision - were you diagnosed with ortho-arthiritis ? 

great that you don't have any pains yet and of course question the need for hip replacement surgery ..

there might be a chance that you won't be able to get back to all the activities you did before surgery - mostly in order to preserve the hardware and also, as I am sure you can imagine , contact sports or risks of falling etc. are not wise to continue ... riding your motorcycle I am not sure - 

it is up to you, darling --- when do you have to make the decision?

enjoy life

big warmhug

renee

• Posted

Dear John

I would guess that you could spin it out for a time as I had to do as at the time I was considered too young.

I could not sleep due to the discomfort and was advised to see a good chiropractor. After just the initial visit I was able to sleep at night. He worked with me to strengthen my hip supporting muscles and to ensure that my back was good and true.

As a result I was able to continue an active and physically demanding life for about four more years and then at fifty-five was allowed to have the surgery

The only thing that I did not do after the super quick recovery was to continue with hang gliding as one needs to run at the take off and when landing usually.

I continued to farm on a very steep hillside, did lots of heavy building and roofing work plus other stuff. I've always been naturally fit with a BMI of 22. That hip lasted me twenty years and I'm now getting back to normality having had a hip revision.

Hope this might help you.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

John, I am so pleased to see your question as I'm in the same position. I read about other people being in constant pain, not able to sleep, etc. Like you, I get a catch in my hip that is momentarily painful. It can happen when I'm walking, or if I turn over in bed. Some days are more uncomfortable than others. My range of motion is really restricted. I will be talking to the surgeon on Monday and I think I will be going ahead at this point to get one hip done. I plan to get the anterior method which, from what I understand,  has less chance of dislocation.

• Posted

Dear Anne68156

Thank you for your reply. I wish to contact you in regard to your thoughts on the anterior method of operation. My surgeon is very anti this method and has indicated he has had to rectify other anterior operations. I was not aware of the less chance of dislocation as you stated.

I did Google both op procedures and the posterior method appeared to have far more benefits EXCePT for requiring a longer rehab period.

As always the choice is with the individual, just be conscious of the alternatives and be guided by THR surgeon.

I will go ahead with the op but really would like some feed back in regard to actual limitations after the op.

Regards

John

• Posted

Hi John,

I have spoken with three physical therapists who have seen people after THR. They all told me that people who had the anterior method bounced back really quickly from the surgery. The six weeks of not being able to bend over is so restrictive. And my daughter (one of the PTs) said that she has seen dislocations with the posterior method.  

• Posted

hi anne, 

I am sure the PT's, including your daughter, are very knowledgable and have worked with many patients who had hip replacement surgery ; however they are not medically trained orthodpedic doctors -

I am sure that they have been taught NEVER to make statements like the ones they told you but turn to their doctor for further information ...

As I understand it:

the anterior approach is reletavily "new" and

• Technically challenging.

• Impaired visualization due to working between muscle planes. 

• Special surgical table utilized for manipulation of the leg during surgery.

• Intraoperative xrays needed for implant positioning.

Most important is to find a very experienced surgeon in this type of approach — and also, not everyone is a candidate ...

please keep us posted on how you are doing, okay and the outcome of your meeting with surgeon...

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

My doctor indicated that hip dislocation is more likely with the posterior method than with the anterior method. And he does both. My appointment is now scheduled for August 22, five weeks away!
    • Posted

Are most of the people on this site living in the U.K.?  Because in the United States ( I live in California) most top orthopedic surgeons use the anterior approach.  It is considered much better for active, athletic people.  But they usually won't do the surgery on overweight people.  My advice is to find an accomplished surgeon who has a lot of experience with the anterior method.  

• Posted

I think so, Stacey ... I live in Holland now and here the preferred method is still the posterior approach - but that is changing - perhaps a matter of expense (the special table) and training - 

I lived in Los Angeles for 34 years and know that the anterior approach is more used than the posterior - My friend had 2 THR surgeries in Orange County with great success - 

How are you doing otherwise?

• Posted

Stacey, I'm in Georgia and the anterior method is popular. But a lot of surgeons still do the posterior. The ortho doctor I have been seeing for years for hip injections only does posterior. So I switched to a fellow surgeon who does both. The original doctor kept telling me that after six weeks both methods yield the same results. That may be, but I'm opting for a better first six weeks!

• Posted

I am doing good.  I have had two PT sessions and am getting better every day.  Today was the first day since surgery (7 weeks) that I DIDN'T  wake up stiff and sore.  Hallelujah!!  I am walking about 2.5 miles every day and doing my little exercises twice a day.  I am still icing and elevating a lot because my left leg is still swollen about an inch.  But today I am going to start back in the pool.  My goal is 50 laps(25 meter pool).  I am pretty sure my endurance will be down quite a bit since before surgery so I may just use the kick board for a few laps.

Biggest problem is finding a decent bathing suit that will cover my scar.  Today I am just going to wear my compression shorts and a tankini top.  

• Posted

Yes  first six weeks are much better w anterior method.  No 90 degree rule, I could drive after two weeks, and I was off of the walker and using a cane after 8 days.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.