Undecided THR

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi to All,

I am new to the Forum and welcome your comments.

I am 68 y.o. and expecting to have a THR next March/April. I am not in pain, just discomfort. I am aware of the hip and it seems to catch at different times, walking is o/k, but not fast.

I am undecided in regard to the operation because I am unaware of what level of mobility may be regained or restricted after the op.I intend to raise this with the surgeon later in the year.

At this time I can ride my motorcycle for about two hours before I need to have a stretch and straighten the leg, full recovery soon follows. I have decided to return to surfboard riding and continuing a flexibility program for this old body. 

Being made aware of the movement that I have now, my concern is how much will this improve or be restricted.Everywhere I read there is great emphasis in relation to the position of the hip in relation to the knee and twisting the leg inwards and outward.

Because of these activities I am really concerned about the hip popping out.

Is there a time when after a THR, the hip can be regarded as safe and secure and the activities can be continued without the thought of post op problems.

Or do I bite the bullet and delay the operation until I am in pain, and still face the same activity problems.

Thank you for reading and sorry to be long winded.

Regards

John

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi to All,

Well after giving things a lot of thought, I am about 70/30 against having the operation  at this time.

As mentioned before I am not ( fortunately) in pain, just discomfort, limply and experience an adventure when putting my socks on. 

At this time I am enjoying riding the motorbike ( with short term hip pain after two hours in the saddle ), about to pursue my childhood misspent youth at surfboard riding, and have enrolled in an exercise/ pilates type program.

Currently the near future is just offering too much fun for this old bugger and I can not be confident just how much hip flexibility I may loose. It is just the silly things, I swim a lot and am sure that at some stage I will break into a Breaststroke and undo all the rehabilitation.

Mind you, should I wake tomorrow and be in pain I am sure my attitude will change significantly. I realise that I am in a very fortunate position with my hip, compared to others on the forum, in regard to pain and discomfort.

Fingers and toes crossed, OH NO, wrong turn of phrase on this Forum.

Regards

John

• Posted

John, I kicked the can down the road for a long time until I finally arrived at the point where I knew I needed surgery. I now have an appointment for August 22. And now, of course, my hips are not as painful! But I know this is just temporary and I will continue to have days when it is really painful to get up from a chair, nights when I wake up in pain and I cannot get back to sleep, and times when walking is stiff and awkward. My range of motion is very limited and I could not put socks on my feet if you paid me. No doubt you will eventually reach this point but meantime go ahead and have fun!

• Posted

Hi John, you'll know when you need it doing, I waited years after my initial diagnosis, because I hoped that if I waited long enough I may not need a revision.. Eventually I was limping a lot, sleeping badly, and finding it really hard to put on my shoes and socks. I was taking a lot of pain meds.

Was referred to orthopedics, saw my consultant who got out his diary and booked me in. (All on the lovely NHS.)

My op was a year ago, had minimally invasive posterior, little scar, and a good recovery.

I'm loads better than I was pre op, and I've resumed everything I did before; cycling, swimming (unstylish breaststroke), skiing... The only thing I'm not meant to be doing is running.

So when you feel ready for the op, don't worry because a lot of us are lucky, and have a really good recovery.

I wish you all the best, Judith

• Posted

Judith, I waited as long as I could because I was sure that scientists would come our with something other than total hip replacement. Some type of synthetic cushioning that could simply be injected into the joint which would stay there. A cure!
    • Posted

Dear Judith12644,

very encouraging comments. You give me more hope in regard to maintaining your previous activities. I assume the skiing is snow skiing, that makes me feel so much more confident. My attitude, at this time, still has not changed, but I do giggle when I try and put my left sock on.

Last summer I went bodyboarding, finally managed to get the left flipper on, but when I left the water rolled around like a beached whale trying to get the flipper off. A little kid thought that I had given the beach crowd enough enjoyment and removed the flipper. Not a bit embarrassed, just happy to get the damn thing off.

Best Wishes and fast recovery to All

John

• Posted

Hi John, I'm leaving the body boarding to you! Yes it's snow skiing. (I think water skiing was something else that my surgeon wasn't keen on. Also sky diving...! But he was fine about most other things.)

All the best, Judith

• Posted

It would, Judith. But my doctor told me that there isn't much research going in to other forms of hip treatment because hip replacement works so well! That's sad because hip replacement is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.