Underactive thyroid and menstruation

Posted , 28 users are following.

I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid about 7 years ago after visiting the doctor because of my periods becoming very irregular. I had a blood pressure test and my BP was very high. After blood tests they told me I had underactive thyroid. Since then I've been on Levothyroxine. I started on 50mg and I'm now on 112.5mg per day. My periods have still not returned 7 years later and each time I see the doctor they just send me for another blood test. They told me last time that one blood test was consistent with people who were going through the menopause but I have absolutely no other symptoms. Has anybody else had a similar problem with menstruation and thyroid? I'm 41 and despite my latest thyroid blood test showing no change, I'm feeling more and more tired.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had my last period two years ago at the age of 44. Seven months later i was diagnosed as being Hypothyroid.

Quite a few years before that i kept having trouble with Hypo's (low blood sugar) and was told to eat more often. I had test for thyroid and diabetes both normal.

About six years ago i started to get Perimenopause symptons. These included things like headaches, loss of memory, heavy periods, missing periods, weight gain, hypoglyceima, tiredness, irritabilty, unable to concentrate, dizziness etc.

A lot of these symptons also seem to relate to underactive thyroid. I am not sure now whether i actually went through the menopause or that my thyroid caused my periods to stop.

Over the years i have had a few tests both for diabetes (becuase of the hypos) and thyroid and they have been normal but when asking for the actual readings of my thyroid tests i see that they have been slowly heading towards hypothyroidism.

I have been on levothyroxine for 18 months now. I did ask for a test to be taken to see if it was the change why my periods had stopped and was told that my reading was 65 and that meant that i had gone through the change. (ithink she said it would be about 45 if it was not the menopause).

I am currently taking 75mg of levothyroxine. I also see from my last few blood test that although they are in the normal range they are again creeping up.

• Posted

i am 17 years of age, nearly 18 now. i have been ill for 3 years, but much much worse for the last year. no one would diagnose me with hypothyroidism, yet i had the majority of the symtoms. it took all those years to finally be diagnosed last december. in that time i gained loads of weight which has ruined my self confidence, and i cant excercise efficiently (like more extreme than walking) and many other things.

but like you my periods just stopped.

before this my periods were normal, and i had one every month lasting about a week.

then around feb last year they just stopped. i thought i was justing going through a phase because im a teenager, but they didn't return. i soon told my doctor and they accused me of being pregnant *rolls eyes*.

completely untrue.

but yeah. my periods just compltely stopped., didnt even slow down/reduce. just stopped. and iam now taking 200mg of levothyroxin and they stil havent returned. like yourself. yet i somehow do not believe i am going through the menapause like you 'apparantly' are. :P

hope i helped. xxx

• Posted

Hiya there. I am currently thirteen and was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid when I was in my early twelves. It took the doctors about 5months to diagnose me and then an additional 3 months to give me the correct dosage of levothyroxine. I am now 8 months later finally on the road to recovery but have a question to ask. Before I was diagnosed I had already started getting vaginal discharge it's now been almost over a year since I had starting getting this and wondered if anyone knows how long approximately it will be until I start my period properly. I know that you don't know me so this could be hard. But I was just wondering if having a thyroid disorder puts aback your period for a couple of months? Please message me if you think you know the answer for I am longing to know. Thank you all very much if you read this. if you have any questions for me I would love to hear them and answer them the best I can. Thanks ever so much lucy. Xxx
    • Posted

Hello, i just turned 18 and i have had hypothyroidism since i was 7. I gained alot of weight as well and it has had an affect on me to i was made fun of quite a bit in elementary, but i am better now. I too havent had a period in about ten months and thought the worst but it will get better keep strong. 😃
    • Posted

I am in a similar situation. Was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in my teens around 15. I got my first cycle at 13 and it stopped within a year. I went to see the doctor but was told it might take some time to settle in. I am almost 20 and have not had any cycle without birth control. I was on alese? For a while. This gave me extremely long, heavy periods with clots, no sleep and every side effect. The cycles varied on length from 8 to 11 days. Before that I hd 1 cycle with provera. Now I switched birth control pills to one that would make the cycles lighter and gve me a cycle. Now what happened was that today I got a cycle without being on birth control pills. I am on the thyroid medication and have lost some weight months ago. I have sensitivity, no sleep, dizziness, nausea and some clots. Why is this happening when I have been off birth control after briefly using it (and not even every month)? What should I do?
  • Posted

Before I was diagnosed my periods were horrendously heavy and prolonged being on for 10 days or even more was normal now after taking the thyroxine for 2 years my periods have returned to normal they have gone much lighter and Im on for 4 or 5 days so I guess my thyroid caused all my monthly problems but after reading these posts it can go one way or the other it either goes like mine or stops
  • Posted

This could answer a question for me also.

Historically my periods were very light and lasted maybe 2 days. Then a couple of years ago they went to opposite way - very heavy and painful.

I assumed i was menopausal (bit early, I am only 42) but now I think it is possible I have a thyroid problem. I am going for tests so hopefully I will find out.

lelly xx

• Posted

Well just had my 4th normal period in a row thats 4 months now, I know it must of been my thyroid causing the problem, It makes me wonder how many women are walking round with a problem with heavy periods and wouldnt think to get the thyroid tested. x
  • Posted

My menstrual cycle became very irregular around 2 years ago with gaps ranging from 2 weeks to 3 months, much heavier and longer, along with an increase in PMS (I have been a joy to spend time with!) Having been backwards and forwards to the doctor insisting that I am perimenopausal, I have just been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and 3 days ago started a course of Levothyroxine and low and behold, my period has started for the first time in 4 months (and it's horrendous - what joy)! Just hope my body and mind are restored to their former glory (ahem!) soon and that some energy and postivity is restored to my life and wish the same for all my fellow sufferers.
  • Posted

hi lou I am convinced my thyroid was causing my period problems its such a relief to have normal ones again ! take care :wink:
  • Posted

3 years ago I started having either heavy periods or missing them altogether. I also felt extremely tired and depressed.Due to my age, ( I was 54 at the time) I thought that it the beginning of the menopause, however following blood tests- it was discovered that I had hypothyroidism, and lo and behold,my periods also returned with a vengeance I might add. The combination of Thyroxine supplements and iron tablets ( for the accompanying severe anaemia) made me feel like a new woman. The down side of this is that my periods really didn't know when to stop, and over time they have become heavier and lasting longer, despite several attempts by my GP to get them slow down, nothing worked. I have recently had an endometrial ablation in the hope that THIS IS IT. I think that without the Thyroxine though, I would not have been able to cope with what was to come.
  • Posted

I too was diagnosed with Under active thyriod 5 years ago, and my periods have also stopped.

I have been tested and all of my results came back normal.

I am currently taking 125mg of Thyroxine a day, i occasionally feel tired and my joints are stiff and i also suffer with swollen ankles.

On odd mornings my face swells up, my main problem is that i would like to start a family but we have had 3 failed IVF attempts.

Has anyone else suffered any similar problems, and if so had anyone managed to have a baby?

[color=blue:36336ca88c][/color:36336ca88c][size=18:36336ca88c][/size:36336ca88c][b:36336ca88c][size=12:36336ca88c][/size:36336ca88c][/b:36336ca88c]

• Posted

hi Queenie,

How are you now, you have pragnant yet,

I have same problem,

I have thyroid, waiting for doctor now, horrible long waiting here.

And I just have the missed period, that make me worried. And I also want to have baby, that my second worry. sad

I feel so headache now.

Like to hear from how your case.

• Posted

The headaches were driving me nuts but I found that taking a probiotic of coagulans helped a lot with these and also with any reflux I got.
    • Posted

hi Queenie75,

i saw saw your response when looking up this issue online. I have the exact same problem. My thyroid levels are now "optimal" on euthyrox (synthroid) but my period has stopped...and I also get the swollen ankle thing. 

Did is this problem resolve for you eventually? My husband and I are also trying to conceive so it's a big concern.

would love to hear about your progress if there has been some

regards,

alex 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.