Underactive thyroid and menstruation

Posted , 28 users are following.

I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid about 7 years ago after visiting the doctor because of my periods becoming very irregular. I had a blood pressure test and my BP was very high. After blood tests they told me I had underactive thyroid. Since then I've been on Levothyroxine. I started on 50mg and I'm now on 112.5mg per day. My periods have still not returned 7 years later and each time I see the doctor they just send me for another blood test. They told me last time that one blood test was consistent with people who were going through the menopause but I have absolutely no other symptoms. Has anybody else had a similar problem with menstruation and thyroid? I'm 41 and despite my latest thyroid blood test showing no change, I'm feeling more and more tired.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've had problems with very heavy and prolonged periods for about 3 years now.I've become Anaemic several times because of this and was put on Ferrous Sulphate (Iron) and Tranexamic Acid to try and stop such a huge blood loss.I had been feeling very unwell during the past 3 years with no answers from blood tests so my GP has now put me on Levothyroxine although my TFT always comes back borderline.I've always had quite normal periods,nothing major,nothing painful but now they are so bad that I can't leave the house for the first two days.

I'm hoping that this is due to my thryoid and that the meds will help with period problems.

I'm new to all this. :?

• Posted

I only became aware that I had an underactive thyroid after my GP ran a series of blood tests as I was having a period that had lasted 3 months with only the odd day off in between. There were days when it was amazingly heavy (it was horrible travelling on public transport to work and praying that there wouldn't be any delays) and then it would be light for a week or two.

I've been taking Levothyroxine foor 5 years now and it seems to have helped. They were much more regular until about 6 months ago when I started to miss every other one and put that down to the menopause starting (I'm 48) but I've just found out that my thyroid level is slightly down so am upping my dose.

C

• Posted

I'm 18 and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 10 months ago now they've switched my dosage and I'm missing my period. Reading these post are making me depressed because it makes me think that I'll never have a period again sad. I don't know what to do any suggestions?
  • Posted

i am 20 and underactive thyroid .....and have irregular periods + dizziness...........any suggestions how to overcome?????
  • Posted

ive had underactive thyroid for the best part of 14 years and up until the past 2 years or so my periods were fine and regular..my last 4 cycles have been between 5 and 6 weeks apart and lasting for 2 weeks,,very heavy very painful and seriously getting on my nerves as i cant leave the house as way too heavy but dead on the 2 wk mark its gone literally without a trace
  • Posted

Hi, Hope someone can help me or offer me some advice..

I'm 22 years of age, when I was 15 my periods (started at the age of 12 and was regular) suddenly stopped.

A few months later I was diagnosed with Underactive Thyroid. My thyroid levels were checked regularly and I was tested for a whole number of other problems such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Cushings Disease, Diabetes, even tested to see if I went through an early menopause. All of which came back negative.

I am currently on 150mg of Levothyroxine but for the past 1-2 years my levels have all been normal. After nearly 7 years of not having periods and getting older I am worried about my fertility in the long run and what it could be doing to me inside by not having periods. When I was 17/18 I was put on provera, but reacted so badly to it, I felt suicidal, angry and was very aggressive. I have recently been tested again to see if I have gone through an early menopause and yet again it came back negative. This gave me hope as it means that hopefully one day I will be able to have children but at the same time I want to feel normal and have periods.

Has anyone being in the same position?

Is there any supplements I could take to try and improve the chances of me having periods? I've heard that Zinc or Black Cososh could help?? Anybody tried these and had any luck?

All my friends think I'm mad that I actually MISS having periods, but i hate not feeling womanly and just want some normality back into my life!

If anyone could offer me any help, as I feel completely and utterly lost sad

So fed up

Thanks, Anna

• Posted

I was kind of in the same boat where my period started then stopped was placed on levothyroxine. It started then stopped again. I was then placed on a progesterone pill and I take that once a month when my periods due and now it comes regularly. I would ask about that.
  • Posted

I have an under active thyroid and was diagnosed just after a diagnosis for ovarian cancer, I am taking 100mcg of Thyroxine daily, but with so many knock on health problems have done some research and found that there is a suggested link between under active thyroid and ovarian cancer. Worrying really as my thyroid has been up and down for years, now have found out I have CKD wonder if this is all related?
  • Posted

Hey guys need help sad im 15 and I have extremely irregular periods. Im always moody, my mood change almost like every second. Once, I didnt have period for 5 months. Im only 15 and ive never had any intercourse or even a boyfriend so I know im not pregnant at all. But its irregular. I have a feeling that I have thyroid baceause I have all the symptoms. And even worse, ive started sweating, like a LOT. Even if I apply u underam deodorant, im all sweating. Its very uncomfortable. And its humiliating that im not like everyone else who gas normal period cycles.
  • Posted

I had  unbelievably painful thyroid swelling  last year, very anxious, shaking all the time, dropped 2 dress sizes, blood tests NORMAL!!! Yeah, okay, as if.

I now have croaky voice, prolonged and heavy menstruation , extreme fatigue, high blood presssure. I am due to see doc tomorrow, who will suggest thyoid tests for underactive thyroid. I wonder if they will reveal anything untoward this time... I am still losing weight. Are the tests really reliable?

• Posted

I thought with underactive thyroid you find it hard to lose weight or put weight on.
    • Posted

It sounds like hyperthyroidism or hashimoto if anything. Hashimoto is just that the thyroid switch back and forth normal, low, and high.
  • Posted

I had the same problem a few years ago and I am only 19 now. After I started on 50mcgs of levothyroxine, it started for a little while then quit. I returned to the doctor and he said my progesterone levels were off. He started me on a progesterone pill that I take on day 21 and stop when my period starts or after 10 days. I take it on the 21 so my period will start on the 28 but it varies from person to person. I would ask your doctor to look into it and see if that doesn't help.
    • Posted

I haven't had a period in two months what to do no one can tell me what is wrong with me what do I do I go to a Obgyn on April 29
  • Posted

I haven't had a period in two months and no one can tell me why I have a appointment with a Obgyn on April 29 I don't know what to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.