Undiagnosed Abdominal Pain For 3 Weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am a 24 year old female who is on the overweight side and has been experiencing ongoing and unrelieved upper abdominal and chest pains for about three weeks. The pain extends across the entirety of my front underneath my rib cage, and the chest pain is exclusively behind my breast bone up into my throat at times. When I eat I fill incredibly quickly and uncomfortably, and occasionally feels like food gets stuck in my esophagus and works its way back up into my throat a little. The pains get worse at night when I go to bed, making it difficult to sleep. Nothing completely alleviates the pain, but walking does help. I noticed about a week and a half ago that I was constipated as well. My gastroenterologist believes this is just a severe case of heartburn and constipation that will relieve when I am able to go regularly again. I am taking nexium twice a day (have been for the last few months because of indicative heartburn issues), Xifaxan (I am almost done with my two week prescription), and other assorted medications to try and alleviate some occasional nausea. I would really like any advice on what could be wrong and if there's something else I could be doing to help. I have tried Omeperazole and Zantac as well, to no avail. Even strong anti nausea medications don't alleviate any pain or discomfort (no vomiting thank goodness). Thank you to all who read this, please feel free to ask other necessary questions.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Has gastritis and IBS been mentioned and have any tests been done? Does the pain move about and does it get worse or better with eating? Have you tried a food diary? Have you noticed if stress or anxiety trigger the symptoms? Have you had any recent bouts of stress?

• Posted

Neither have been explicitly spoken about. Several years back I was seeing a different gastroenterologist who conducted a colonoscopy and told me that I didn't have ulcerative colitis or diverticulitis, but that was all that was conclusively ruled out. I tend to feel worse after eating because I'm instantly full and bloated, but then when I try to go to bed it flares up horribly and keeps me up. Usually takes me several hours to exhaust myself to sleep for a few hours. The last couple of days I've noticed the pain a bit more on the upper right side like right below my rib cage. I've also ruled out lactose intolerance and celiac through testing.

• Posted

No, we have discussed that and abdominal x rays as a means of work up but he seems to be convinced this is just severe heartburn exacerbated by weight. I plan on calling him today to be a bit more insistent that I want at least an x ray or CT scan

• Posted

I think you are right that more tests are needed.to establish if there is an underlying cause for your heartburn. Sometimes pain under your ribcage can be caused by gastritis. See another doctor if you don't get help.

• Posted

Thanks. Spoke to my gastro today, basically said that an x ray would do no good because I've been constipated so he'll most likely only see stool. He said it would be more effective of a diagnostic tool if I had diarrhea. He just wants me to take more laxatives until I begin to go more regularly, and sort of implied that I follow up with a gyno because some gynocological issues can make it difficult to go. Not sure if I'm being written off or if I should just take all of this information for what it is.

• Posted

Do you have gynae issues? You could try laxatives or simply lots of fruit to see if that helps the constipation. However, the abdominal and chest pains sound like a gut problem to me.

• Posted

sorry for the late reply- i do have PCOS, but i have had that diagnosis for about 8 years now. the stomach issues started to resolve and now im uncomfortable and eating less again. unfortunately my current practice is closing and my second opinion appointment isnt until october

• Posted

Maybe ask for your second opinion to be brought forward via a cancellation appointment.

• Posted

hello, a very late update. i am still in pain, nauseous, and unable to find relief. i had an abdominal ultrasound that was found to be completely negative, which has lead to us scheduling an endoscopy. im perplexed as to what is causing so much pain that has not been found through the ultrasound. even prescription grade Zofran doesnt relieve the symptoms much. im at such a loss, but maybe the endoscopy will find something

• Posted

An endoscopy would show gastritis or h pylori if you have it. Both are treatable.

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/abdominal-pain-is-finally-gone--711421

1 lb. ginger root, put in a plastic bag and smashed the hell out it with a rolling pin.

Put the smashed pieces in a large stew pot, 3/4 filled with water.

Let boil for an hour, it should taste real spicy.

Filter the tea and drink, I drank a cup of the tea each time, not the whole pot, hope it helps.

• Posted

i appreciate that! i'll have to come across some ginger root

• Posted

My cousin was about your age when diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus. The other things that spring to mind are Hiatus Hernia and GERD (or GORD) which is Gastro esophagus Reflux Disease. I think you should ask for an endoscopy to rule these out, and push for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.