Undiagnosed Hyperthyrodism [PLEASE HELP]

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a guy, almost 25 and I believe that my endo simply dismissed me unfairly for my symptoms and I even have given and pointed out test results! I think, I might have had the issue for quite a while.

I have rapid resting pulse, sweating, very fast heart rate and exhaustion when walking. No energy and lost weight as well.

Lab results:

2017 June 

---------------------

TSH - 1.67 (0.27-4.20)

FT4 - 21.6 (12.00-22.00)

FT3 - 6.67 (3.10-6.80)

anti-TPO - 7.38 (0.00 - 34.00)

Tg - 14.61 (3.50-77.00)

T3 - 1.75 (0.89-2.44)

SHBG - 44.40 (18.3 - 54.1)

E2 - 19.49 (25.00 - 60.70) LOW

Prolactin - 273.80 (86.00 - 324.00)

Test - 28.39 (6.68 - 25.70) HIGH

DHEA-SO4 - 8.39 (4.34 - 12.20)

2017 December

---------------------

TSH - 1.67 (0.27-4.20)

FT4 - 22.6 (12.00-22.00) HIGH

I specifically pointed out FT3 and FT4 + presence of antibodies but endo in his report called me 'euthyroid". I think it is wrong. I bought some acetyl-l-carnitine to attempt some small doses and also thinking about getting on autoimmune protocol diet.

I feel like crap, please advise me....

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dark knight ... you’re very switched on .. and eager to be well ... so much so,  you challenge 

... and that’s great !

It’s sad that you are so young with this problem  but you are 

In a very good position  to become well quickly with 

Great advice on here ...

Many kind people will be able to help you ..

but I’m using a name right now for that person to notice and come in .. Linda187 

She is an ace at the numbers ... and also with Regular and Acetyl  

L Carnitine

Nobody knows YOUR body like YOU do ..  so stand your ground and  answer anyone , medical or not who challenges  your self diagnosis and gut feelings as to what is going wrong  at the moment with your health issues .

I have Greaves Disease   That is .... HYPERthyroidism   With Antibodies  ..

it runs in my family 

Particularly with women in the family  ... 

I was diagnosed eventually by my very reluctant and stubborn doctor who said  I was suffering from ..... anxiety  

I , however KNEW  I was very ill 

With  joint and muscle pain severe anxiety and profuse sweating 24/7  ...   heart racing and shortness of breath ,  hair loss ,  dry scaley skin ... and

more .. 

so much for anxiety  !

So just you hang in here and you will be delighted with the great advice you will get from very caring people .. 

And once you have all your numbers where you want them you will then learn how to KEEP THEM  THAT  WAY ...

Best of luck 

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

.....  I also think you should have your bloods tested for vitamins minerals and nutrients 

Muir May very well be deficient in

b12  ( Sublungual ) 

B Complex

B1

D3     ...  Plus K2 (mk7) 

Magnesium

Selenium 

Copper

Zinc

Iron

Vitamins C  and  E  

These are only a few of those that your body may be flatlining in, as , as your body is going at a hundred miles an hour with your condition ..   you are becoming depleted of these very vital ingredients ..

Google all of the above supplements to see how and why they relate to a dysfunctional overactive Thyroid Gland 🦋

Mx🌹

• Posted

What is "Test" 28.39 that is high?  When your Endo said you were "euthyroid" he meant that your thyroid test results are all within range for normal for your lab.  Endos especially go by normal TSH even if your other thyroid labs are not within range and your other thyroid tests are at the top of the range and one time was just slightly over the top of the range.  I wondered why they would be testing a guy for prolactin and E2 (test for Estradiol or estrogen)?  Can you tell us what symptoms you were having that he tested your Prolactin and E2 levels?  If you have a high prolactin level, one of the possible causes is a prolactinoma.  Prolactinomas are benign tumours of the pituitary gland that causes pressure on the gland if they are large enough and then cause an increase in estrogen production and also thyroid hormone levels.  Prolactinomas can be treated with medication to shrink them.  They are usually diagnosed with an MRI.  You might want to research this a little more and question your docs more about the possibility of your having this.

• Posted

Nooo, those are just tests I took to see if my efforts in the gym affect my male hormones.

What I care about is too high FT3 and FT4 and normal TSH. I have hyperthyroid symptoms and have some anti-TPOs in my blood. What does that mean? And why did my endo said I am euthyroid? I am feeling crap right now, my pulse is like 120 just by standing up, it is around 70-90 when laying on the ground and I feel some pain in my chest.

• Posted

Whilst you are in a state of Limbo ... it would be wise Dark Knight  ... to go easy at the Gym 

You must not overwork your body at a time of existing stress within the body and heart etc ..

Most unwise 

Also please don’t be tempted to 

Use any kinds of steroid help related to excercising as this would make things much worse for you  and your metabolism 

Mx 🌹

• Posted

Don't worry. No energy to go to the gym at all. Last time I went there was October and I swear I had to force myself to get there. I then quit it because my body simply refused to perform and now, there we go, probably thyroid issue.

• Posted

I agree with Madge.  You have enough symptoms to have something wrong with you even if they don't know the cause and they should keep looking and not just dismiss you.  Though your thyroid levels are mostly within range, they are at the high end but I think there is an endocrine problem, probably having to do with the pituitary gland and this should be further investigated.  

• Posted

I think, the emergency trip with high heart rate I had in July and a recent one as well, similar heart symptoms, and my high thyroid hormones. I think it is pointing to hyperthyrodism? Is there anything I can do to help it? Will acetyl-l-carnitine reduce thyroid hormone levels?
    • Posted

Regular L-carnitine blocks excessive thyroid hormone.  Acetyl-L-Carnitine has a little bit of Carnitine and a lot of Acetyl and the Regular L-Carnitine is just the opposite - it has a little bit of Acetyl and a lot of Carnitine.  Acetyl crosses the blood-brain barrier and carries any meds you are taking with it across the blood brain barrier.  For this reason, in Medicine, Acetyl is used a lot for neurological conditions.  While Carnitine blocks excessive thyroid hormone, it depends on what is causing the excessive thyroid hormone to be produced.  People with Hashimoto's thyroiditis do better taking Regular L-Carnitine because the antibodies are attacking the thyroid gland directly.  People with Graves have antibodies that attack the TSH receptors in the pituitary and some can benefit from Acetyl if they know how to use it judiciously because it has more side effects than the Regular.  So you might try taking the Regular L-carnitine.  I did this after I read a research article that showed the Regular L-Carnitine helps with hyperthyroidism, especially of unknown cause.  If you feel you would like to try this, I would start with 1,000 mg first to see how it affects you.  You can increase it from there if you feel it benefits you.  But if I were you, I would also like to know the cause - whether it is pituitary or adrenal.  Anti-TPO antibodies really measure the amount of inflammation you have and yours is within the normal range so I wouldn't worry about that one.  I think I would worry more about the cause.  

• Posted

Linda Sorry to butt in but... I am confused about the business of tpoa's. Should anyone have any at all? I am n the dark over this.

Thanks 

• Posted

The range for normal for anti-TPO in this person's lab was 0.00 to 0.34.  If your result falls within that range, it is considered normal.  Some people with TPO antibodies may not have thyroid disease. However, the presence of TPO antibodies may increase the risk of future thyroid disorders. If you have normal thyroid function with TPO antibodies, your doctor may recommend periodic checkups to watch for future thyroid problems.

• Posted

Another metabolic condition that causes thyroid problems is adrenal gland problems.  I would ask your doc about conditions like this that can cause elevated thyroid hormones.
    • Posted

I have high cortisol (blood) measured by the endo in the afternoon. I also was looking for diabetes related issues, testing antibodies against pancreas that came back negative but I have failed their OGTT. This is what actually scares me because while my blood glucose issues are non autoimmune so far, it seems like I have hyperthyrodism and it is usually caused by autoimmune issue. So, can the pancreas also suffer whule thyroid is being pummeled?
  • Posted

P.S.  The research article suggested a dose of Regular L-Carnitine from 3,000 to 4,000 mg a day.  I would start at 1,000 mg to see how you feel on it and increase it only if you feel okay at the starting dose.
    • Posted

I ordered Acetyl-l-carnitine before submitting this post and it arrived. Took 500 mg with a glass of water. I don't know if it is placebo but I think my anxiety diminished a little bit. Does carnitine actually lower the T3 and T4 levels? I think it would be a key for me, but need to do it carefully enough. What are the doses you used? I also have some magnesium glycinate and multis laying around, some zinc picolinate as well. I am sure vitamin D is low because I was a bit low in summer and now am in Britain and barely see much sunlight.

• Posted

Vitamin D is very important to thyroid functioning.  The other things you mentioned won't hurt you and might help as well, especially the Magnesium.  As far as the Carnitine, since your levels are not that much out of range, you won't need a high dosage.  Yes carnitine does lower T3 and T4 levels by blocking thyroid hormone just as the hyperthyroid meds do.  The dosages taken differ with thyroid test values.  So in my case I have Graves disease and while a low dose of antithyroid meds normalized my T3 and T4 to the middle of the range, my TSH was less than 0.001.  What this means is the meds blocked the excessive thyroid hormone but my Graves disease antibodies were still high, thereby affecting my TSH result as Graves is caused by antibodies attacking the TSH receptors in the pituitary causing it to tell the body to produce too much thyroid hormone.  In your case, you don't yet know the cause but you want to block the excessive thyroid hormones.  I think the Regular at a low dose of 500 mg would give you better results because it contains more carnitine.  In my case, I wanted to raise my TSH and the Regular only did that from less than 0.001 it went up to 0.12 and stayed there whereas the Acetyl seemed to lower my TSH attacking antibodies thereby raising my TSH much higher.  Your TSH level is good.  It's your T3 and T4 that are at top of range and you just want to lower them a bit.  But you still want to find out why your body is doing this.

• Posted

I am going to ask for tests. Endo is on Christmas holiday and I cannot do anything right now. Here is a thing though. I had anti-TPO in June present in blood. Surely, well below threshold but when I think about it, it should not be present at all. I think it is wise for me to get both carnitine forms. One to replenish muscles, another to lower TSH attacking antibodies (I am somewhat sure that persistent hyperthyrodism is caused by antibodies) but will find out, hopefully. I am very sad that my endo just ignored me on this one, it is very annoying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.