Undiagnosed Hyperthyrodism [PLEASE HELP]

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a guy, almost 25 and I believe that my endo simply dismissed me unfairly for my symptoms and I even have given and pointed out test results! I think, I might have had the issue for quite a while.

I have rapid resting pulse, sweating, very fast heart rate and exhaustion when walking. No energy and lost weight as well.

Lab results:

2017 June 

---------------------

TSH - 1.67 (0.27-4.20)

FT4 - 21.6 (12.00-22.00)

FT3 - 6.67 (3.10-6.80)

anti-TPO - 7.38 (0.00 - 34.00)

Tg - 14.61 (3.50-77.00)

T3 - 1.75 (0.89-2.44)

SHBG - 44.40 (18.3 - 54.1)

E2 - 19.49 (25.00 - 60.70) LOW

Prolactin - 273.80 (86.00 - 324.00)

Test - 28.39 (6.68 - 25.70) HIGH

DHEA-SO4 - 8.39 (4.34 - 12.20)

2017 December

---------------------

TSH - 1.67 (0.27-4.20)

FT4 - 22.6 (12.00-22.00) HIGH

I specifically pointed out FT3 and FT4 + presence of antibodies but endo in his report called me 'euthyroid". I think it is wrong. I bought some acetyl-l-carnitine to attempt some small doses and also thinking about getting on autoimmune protocol diet.

I feel like crap, please advise me....

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

In answer to your question "can the pancreas also suffer"  I think especially with the endocrine and metabolic system, you can get all kinds of results that are not easily diagnosed that contribute to hyperthyroidism.  Most endocrinologist's practices have a large proportion of diabetics as the largest category they treat and thyroid diseases would make up the remainder.  For adrenal causes, some might be knowledgeable enough but many are not because these diseases are not so prevalent.  I would try the Regular L-Carnitine for symptom control but I would pursue the cause and ask the doc about possible adrenal causes and pituitary causes.  Don't give up.  Keep asking.  

• Posted

The only things that stand out from your blood test in June are the elevated Testosterone level and the low Estradiol level. Some patients undergoing Testosterone supplementation report having palpitations and feeling nervous and agitated.

In males, most of the Testosterone is secreted by the testicles, whereas the adrenal glands normally produce only a fraction of this hormone. Disorders of the adrenal glands can also cause symptoms like palpitations, nervousness, weight loss, e.g. by producing an uncontrolled amount of Adrenaline. 

Granted, your FT4 level from December 2017 is borderline high. But your body seems to think that your Thyroxine level is ok, otherwise your TSH level would be suppressed. 

• Posted

I did not take any testosterone supplements. This is my natural state. It is in moderately high end according to conversion tools to mg/dl.

Why would my body think it is great to run so high on T3 and T4. Sounds like it is confused and I heard TSH does not mean much whereas FT3 and FT4 + antibodies are the main thing to consider.

• Posted

Hi again, I was only suggesting that a (moderately) high testosterone level might also cause symptoms and might be linked to some endocrine disorder that could be worth investigating.

Similar to your testosterone level, your current thyroid hormone level can also be described as your 'natural state', which according to your test results happens to be borderline high. 

TSH alone might not be indicative when adjusting the Thyroxine dose in hypothyroid patients without a functioning thyroid. In patients with a functioning thyroid, TSH is an important marker as it sets the thyroid hormone level (much like a thermostat regulates the temperature in a heating system). 

What antibody test are your referring to? 

I fully understand that you are not feeling well and are searching for answers. Would it be possible to get a second opinion from a different endocrinologist? I would also suggest that you keep a chart of your weight and heart rate (and if you can blood pressure). It sometimes helps to recognise a trend and to see if your situation gets better or worse over time. 

• Posted

Hi Dan, I only had anti-TPO tested on my own initiative some time ago.

Also, with regards to your surprise of high ft3 and ft3, while tsh is normal. This lady, Elaine Moore, talks about "Resistance to Thyroid Hormone" http://www.elaine-moore.com/Articles/Graves%E2%80%99DiseaseArticles/ResistancetoThyroidHormoneinGravesDisease/tabid/206/Default.aspx[/b]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.