Undiagnosed left sided abdominal pain for many years - help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had stomach pains ever since i was a child and i have repeatedly been diagnosed with IBS. i have stabbing pains in the left side of my abdomen that are so severe I cannot function when they occur. the pain is NOT stomach cramping, it is always in the same place and if i put a lot if pressure on the area it eases the pain temporarily. I have tried every single possible IBS medication over the years, I have had every possible test done, and I am not convinced I have IBS. nothing seems to trigger my pain, it can happen at any time during the day.

NOTE: I do not have periods, I eat a healthy vegetarian diet, I take vitamins and probiotics (only this last year). I am 25, female.

i have previously posted this same topic over a year ago - https://patient.info/forums/discuss/undiagnosed-left-sided-abdominal-pain-for-many-years-help--680667

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Can i ask what vitamins you take ? At your age of 25 without having a period ,were you given i diagnose for that ?

• Posted

i have the implant purely to stop my periods as they were irregular and so severe. I take vitamin B, vitamin C. I was taking alflorex (probiotic) which seemed to help for a while but it didnt last long and its quite expensive!

• Posted

Can you please have your vitamin D checked .

• Posted

I think you might he right about getting vitamin D checked. I also have multiple sclerosis, which i have read is possibly caused by vitamin D deficiency.

• Posted

Please do mb , a deficiency has many symptoms , and cause torture in your body . Keep us updated , best wishes to you

• Posted

You can get probiotics in foods such as yogurt , kefir , sour kraut , pickles , cottage cheese all other fermented foods .

• Posted

Oh wanted to mention vitamin D deficiency also causes IBS

• Posted

thank you for all of your advice! I think vitamin D test is probably the next step for me. If/when I get this done I will post an update, it night be helpful to others too!

• Posted

I have been posting symptoms of low vitamin D awhile , so many on thus forum have symptoms if this vital vitamin D ( pro hormone ) . A few p eople have had theirs checked and indeed their levels were low .. the symptoms are torturous .

• Posted

Since you have been repeatedly diagnosed with IBS, you have had all the tests and they have come back negative, accept your diagnosis because your doctor is the expert. Your symptoms sound very like it. IBS does not show on tests because it is functional and not a problem with a particular organ. Not having periods may be contributing to your symptoms and hormones can make IBS worse. Irritable bowel is diagnosed when all other causes have been ruled out. Some people have severe IBS and don't respond to treatments. You may have to ask for a different IBS medication. It is very common to doubt your IBS diagnosis, diagnosis acceptance can be very hard.

Have you tried a food diary to see if a food is causing you pain?, Have you had any recent stress? Looking at these things may help you to identify a pattern to your pain. IBS is has all sorts of triggers; food intolerance and stress are the main ones. I was unable to identify my triggers for my abdominal pain and was unaware that stress was causing it. My doctor identified stress was the cause and diagnosed IBS. A previous doctor suggested IBS, but I dismissed it because I had read a lot about IBS over diagnosis and my brother's IBS was different from mine. My pain could come at any point of the day too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.