Unilateral Oophorectomy Recovery and symptoms?

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi everyone! 

I just had a 7cm cyst removed which resulted in having that Fallopian tube and right ovary removed also on October 19. 

I know symptoms differ person to person, but I wanted to know what differences did everyone experience?

I have hot flashes, drenching my bed in sweat at night, also freezing cold if I’m to take my blanket off, not being able to sleep well. Now that majority of my physical pain has healed, my throat has been very sore.  Also, i was expected to get my period on the 23 which has not came. But I’ve been having the symptoms of my period also, the emotional instability and a weak stomach. 

If you have had any similiarities in your experience or a different experience, I’d love to hear your story! And any advice is greatly appreciated. 

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi! I had both ovaries, tubes and 2 cysts (10 and 2 cm's) removed. I'm 2 months post surgery and still sore - mainly when sitting. Sitting really bothers me vs standing or lying down. I think the internal stitches really take a while to settle and tend to pull when I sit. Driving is uncomfortable so I only do short trips. Cannot exercise yet - hoping once I hit the 3 month mark I will feel a big difference!

My throat bothered me too. On day 2 or 3 I started with an irritating cough and could feel it in my throat... after a few days it went away. 

I am 51 and was already in menopause but post surgery I also started getting wicked night sweats - ALL NIGHT! Brutal! I was just put on a hormone therapy and it's really helped, still get mild ones but nothing like before. 

• Posted

Hi Jackie 

8 weeks I was the same 

I just couldn’t get pass in seeing some improvement 

but hang in there you will 

I’m 3 months post op feel normal apart from one side from incision I feel bruised and tight 

so I’m seeing a chiropractor and having some replied as they think I have trauma from op as I was badly bruised 

rest up then stand then rest up then stand 

your body is still saying slow down I’m hurting and your correct laying out is faepr better with the healing less pressure if that area and stitches 

my swollen tummy stopped after 10 weeks yep that long time to heal 

hope the hrt kicks in and you start  to feel human again 

don’t be to hard on yourself it’s a good 3 months to get back to normal it’s big surgery having something removed which was always there 

us women never get a reward rushing back to normal so enjoy the rest Xxx

• Posted

Thank you! So glad to know there is a difference at 3 months - I will be counting down the days!! 
    • Posted

I had my cyst, ovary and tube removed on 16th October 2017. All is good now, although I do forget and if I do too much the scar pulls and I get nerve burning pain but it soon settles. I had hot flushes at about 3 weeks post op for about 3 weeks but nothing since. I’m 47 and didn’t have any symptoms,  thecyst was a finding on a back scan. Prior to surgery my periods were every 28 days. I had a normal period 2 weeks after surgery at the right time, but then since then went 45 days and 43 days. Both were really light and no pain, but then I never suffered with pain or my periods. My consultant isn’t sure if my body has just had a reset and this will be the new cycle or things may slowly adjust back, or this is starting the menopause although I don’t have any other symptoms. I do get tired easily but did have 3 large surgeries last year, have just had spinal steroid injections last week and am in the middle of having a tooth implant apart from the salpingo o opherectomy and. 2 major spinal ops, so think it will take Awhile for my body to recover. I am working full time but just crash early and need to be in bed by 10pm. I hope you continue to improve and start to feeel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you for ive been worried about my period not starting not really sure why since I'm 43 had my tubes tied 19 years ago I get back injections in my L5 every 3 to 6 months but since they removed a cyst and right tube and right ovary I've been wondering what my body doing my periods have always been 21 day cycles except for this one I what feels like period cramps but most of my pain has always been in my back and my sciatic nerve

• Posted

I had an ovarian torsion (right side) in 2016, emergency surgery via laparoscopic, I seemed to heel ok but now 2 years on, and since my operation, I get extremely painful periods, and it’s not menstrual cramps, this pain literally drops me to my knees, it starts 2-3 days before my period then last 2-3 days after I start, the pain peeks at its worst the first day of my period, surgeon/gyno said it’s just endometriosis and not to worry, but I know it’s not that, I have never had pain like this... I can’t find anyone that has similar problems to mine, the pain is in my hip, my leg and sometimes all the way to my foot, it hurts so bad I can’t even walk, it literally stops my life for 2-3 days when it’s at its worst, I’m taking 8 Advil a day plus up at night to take two more if the pain gets that bad, 

I can’t even wear tampons anymore cause the tampon feels like it’s hitting something and the pain is crippling. I’m half glad it’s just a week a month this happens but omg I used to be happy to have my period, now I have to prepare myself with pain meds and pray my period starts on my days off from work 

Anyone else suffering like this 

• Posted

Magglabb,

I was diagnosed with endometriosis about 4 years ago. After my first excision surgery, the pain increased from painful periods that were almost managed with ibuprofen to what you described. The pain started before my cycle and faded several days after. I am so sorry you're going through this and wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. It took me until this last year to connect with someone who had the pain level I had with endometriosis. I went from a very active and healthy woman at only 23 to facing disability at 26. I had another surgery last year to remove endometriosis. I never recovered from that surgery and was on heavy opiate medication daily. I couldn't sit down for more than 30 minutes without the blinding pain creeping in.

6 months after the 2nd surgery, it was disability or a last hoorah (hysterectomy with partial oopherectomy).

Although hysterectomy isn't considered a.cure for Endo, it was the right decision for my case. When my surgeon sent my uterus to pathology, no Endometriosis was found..

It was just covered in adhesions from the surgery (robotic and laparoscopic, mind you) just 6 months earlier.

I am now almost 1 year to my hysterectomy anniversary and have quality of life without addictive medications and constant failed attempts at relief.

This is my story. I have tried so many things that have worked wonders for other women I know! They just happened to not work for me. There are so many options for relief out there... Intentions, nerve ablation, very excision surgeries, physical therapy, hrt, lupron, supplements, etc! Modern medicine is so full of Hope and you're not alone.

If you ever need anyone to talk to, you have a friend in me.

• Posted

Just wondered how you are doing now? I found that I had my first period when due, then went to linger cycles for teh next 2 periods and have now been running to a period every 3 weeks. This last week i’ve been having really bad hot flushes from nowhere. My larger incision scar (vertical from the belly button down) still pulls, especially when i forget I had this surgery and overdo things. How are you feeling 5 months on? I’m just trying to work out if i’m now going through the menopause or if it’s the body still trying to regulate itself?
  • Posted

tessa37548

?1 tessa37548 Delicatepetal

11 minutes ago

i just recently had my unilateral salpingo oophorectomy done on July 20, 2018. i am currently 6 days post op, and i am still in a considerable amount of pain and now a new symptom showed up, stomach spasms and they hurt like h***. plus my stomach is cramping like crazy too, i started my period the very next day after surgery and it just ended today, but my period was also 11 days early.

I don't know if the spasms and cramps are symptoms of the surgery or not, but i do know that it hurts, and i am out of my hydrocodones that they gave me. they only lasted a few days and my ob/gyn won't prescribe me anything else for the pain either. they don't seem to be too worried about me honestly. my first follow up appointment isn't until August 29, 2018. why does she want me to wait so long for my first follow up?? That doesn't make any sense to me at all really for me to wait the whole 6 weeks before she will see me for the first time after surgery. I thought that she would see me next week and then again 4 weeks after that, but no.

Can someone please give me some advice on this please? I have called and talked to my ob/gyn several times and as I stated above, she doesn't seem too worried about my pain or discomfort and I have been with her for 10+ years now and this is the first time that she has operated on me and treated me like this. I don't know what to do about this now. please help, thank you all kindly.

By the way I am 36.

• Posted

Hi 

sorry to hear you are in pain 

you will have quiet a lot of pain 

regular pain meds will help 

the stomach cramp could you take something to stops craps like 

peppermint oil or peppermint tea bag 

it’s a big op and being pulled about inside 

it’s a lot of bruising to come out plus our bowel doesn’t like to be touched so 

have a look about anti crapping for IBs they will help with that 

get a good brand multi vitamin and rest and only do the minimum you are healing your body is adjusting 

my opwas November and middle of January I was still in pain and went to see a physio she said it’s all normal to feel like it it’s a major operation 

have a read up on seraptease google it it prevents scare tissue I took it in February it help my pain and swelling big time my physio couldn’t believe the difference in two weeks even my key hole scares had faded and a over hang swollen area was gone 

I did start having stomach massage to loosen the area as it was so not right it did help 

hang in and rest take care X

• Posted

I too had a 11cm cyst, right tube and ovary removed. I'm in my 40's and had my tubes tied 19 years ago and have always had regular cycle as to when it stared. After surgery I was told I could bleed and what to watch out for. I never bled my period should have started about 2 weeks after surgery at this point I'm a week late but every now and then I get those period pains and cramps. The hot flashes are crazy I told the doctor at my post op appointment and she joking told me she left me one ovary and that they would subside (I live in the desert so this may not help right now). I notice if I don't stop earring at the 1st thought that I'm full my stomach seems to blow up and will stay like that for a few days and then I can't really eat a meal vs just having snacks throughout the day like almonds, eggs, string cheese, jello nothing to heavy and not something big.

• Posted

hi ladies, i hope everyone is well on their way from recovery from such an event. 😃 havent checked this forum in over a year and just wanted to update incase it may be of reassurance for some; despite having my right ovary & tube & cyst removed, im now 6 months pregnant after ttc for a year after the surgery. physically after the surgery, i continue being on the hotter side (hot flashes during healing) but my period became regular after the surgery and the only early pregnancy symptom i had was a missing period (which isnt abnormal to women who have had cysts) just want you ladies to know my thoughts are with us that are affected by cysts and all of the problems we face with our uteruses. sending my best wishes to all ❤

• Posted

Just read this! Congratulations, Chelle! Wishing you much love and happiness as you prepare to welcome your child into the world! Thank you for updating us and sharing such a thoughtful message!

• Posted

Hi Chelle, I hope you are doing well and fully recovered!

I just wanted to share that I had a similar experience. On January 23, I had my right ovary and fallopian tube removed due to a 7cm cyst, which turned out to be a benign endometrioma. Also had my appendix removed since scar tissue had wrapped around both the ovary and appendix.

Like you, I started having hot flashes about a month after the surgery with night sweats and trouble sleeping. Had an early period two weeks post surgery, but have skipped two months since the hot flashes started, which is the longest I have missed a period.

I am 42, so I realize I am perimenopausal, but my FSH level was still fairly normal prior to the surgery, and the doctors told me I should still have periods, so the hot flashes came as a surprise.

Did you get your period back and did the doctors explain what happened? From this message board, it seems rather common.

Thank you for sharing! Reading your story gave me hope and made me feel not so crazy.

• Posted

did they remove your appendix at the same time due to complications? sorry to hear you went through that, i hope youll feel much better with recovery!! my periods eventually came back normally, it takes it some time to be regulated again. everybodys body moves at their own pace. either way, i hope you no longer have pain coming from your abdomen. my period has never been so regular, and sex is finally painless

• Posted

That's wonderful to hear your periods returned! I am very glad you are doing well, and this gives me hope! I did have my appendix taken out with the ovary. Am grateful to have healed well with minimal pain. The scars are quite small. But still waiting for Flo to come. Nightsweats and hot flashes are still present, but less intense, so this gives me hope, too. You are right--our bodies adjust differently, and heal at different rates. Thank you for sharing your story and for responding!

• Posted

Hi Chelle, just wanted to report that my period returned yesterday!! Labs indicated I was in menopause, but you were absolutely right. My body needed time to recover. Been working flaxseed and tofu into my diet too to boost estrogen. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement!

• Posted

Hi Christine. I wanted to ask because I'm almost a month post op and yea Ive not gotten my period yet. I had my left ovary removed with a 14 cm cyst. I had my period after the surgery but, no period thus far since then. I've been eating flax seeds and now you've inspired me

to go buy some soy and tofu. I'm curious is there something specific you did to finally get your period to come on? Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.