Unilateral Oophorectomy Recovery and symptoms?

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi everyone! 

I just had a 7cm cyst removed which resulted in having that Fallopian tube and right ovary removed also on October 19. 

I know symptoms differ person to person, but I wanted to know what differences did everyone experience?

I have hot flashes, drenching my bed in sweat at night, also freezing cold if I’m to take my blanket off, not being able to sleep well. Now that majority of my physical pain has healed, my throat has been very sore.  Also, i was expected to get my period on the 23 which has not came. But I’ve been having the symptoms of my period also, the emotional instability and a weak stomach. 

If you have had any similiarities in your experience or a different experience, I’d love to hear your story! And any advice is greatly appreciated. 

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks ladies 

it means a lot 

i have lost a stone ......and like us all can’t afford to loose any more 

I had a little tickle in my throat and started coughing o my lower stomach it doesn’t move how a stomach would very strange 

I suppose the dr has to tell  you that if you have adhesions it may be impossible to get at it 

i have had the CA125 blood test and told it’s clear 

but these symptoms with this type cyst are horrible 

i have never felt so rubbish no energy and very nauseous.

i would say it’s best for us all to do a daily diary for our follow up 

on our mood,sleep,pain etc 

take care ladies and thank you x

• Posted

That's great that your CA125 came back as normal. That was what spooked me the most, but also thankfully came back clear as did the biopsy after removal, I hope once it's removed you'll start to feel better. I will be keeping a diary of symptoms, so far mine are hot flushes and sleeping difficulty some times but don't think I've had any mood changes. First period came at the right time and was completely normal so will see what happens with the next one. Nausea is still a bit of an issue but am still taking painkillers partly for my internal healing and stomach pains but also for my back issues, so is hard to know what is related to what. I do have bad sciatica but have had Si joint and lumbar fusions and apparently this cyst was trapping a nerve so the surgery appears to have irritated it as well as nerves don't like being moved and messed with, hopefully this will calm down soon. Keep us posted as to how you get on, but am sure you'll be happier once the cyst has been removed.

• Posted

Ahhhh glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery! Week 2 is filled with much more relief, but I think there is relief in the fact itself you’ve had the surgery done and those particular symptoms prior to operation are no longer and the ones here now are temporary smile the trapped gas was horrible! Every time I sat up in bed my organs felt like they were gonna just fall out moving around like that lol. By week three most of the post op symptoms will have been gone and then you’re to watch your stitches to just make sure they’re healing correctly, which they will and your doctor will follow up with you on that. I know for me my surgery has only been a month but I’m looking forward to my cycle being regulated and hopefully the possibility of having babies smile keep us updated on your recovery,
    • Posted

Me too my first period was normal, I actually just got my second period and it was terrible. I no longer have pain in my right ovary, well because it’s not there lol but it’s all in my left so it’s just strange and new to me. But it was a lot more painful then a normal one, I didn’t want to leave the bed at all. My mood swings have been normal, I guess. I have been more moody but the same amount of moodiness you know lol I hope you’re feeling better love
    • Posted

Thanks to read I, not loosing the plot girls 

yes still feel heavy when stand up like my organs are made of rock and im burping and trumping but still gas on shoulders 

I feel human now feel like eating and food taste so much nicer as I hardly eaten the pass three weeks before op 

I sprinkle you with lots of baby dust and enjoy once you are healed you will be busy at Christmas 😉😘 

• Posted

Hope you all don't mind me joining in, but your discussion has been really useful, so thank you!

I'm scheduled for surgery next Tuesday (Merry Christmas to me!) as an MRI I had for a potential back (and hip and foot pain) discovered a 5cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary. I've had to choose between a laparoscopic oophamectomy, or a minilap if I want to keep the ovary. I was utterly convinced about having the oophamectomy due to the shorter recovery time (really need to focus on getting to the bottom of my other pains etc) but now I'm really torn!

Really don't want to lose an ovary -I'm 41 without kids, as I've not been in a position to consider starting a family until now. I know there's still a chance that I could get pregnant with just 1 ovary, but at my age I'm guessing 2 would be a better bet! Plus the thought of even a small increase in the chance of early menopause terrifies me. Also my mum's got dementia, and from what I know early menopause can increase your chance of developing it so that's also on my mind.

But I'm also worried about the longer recovery time needed for a minilap and I'm not sure how much more pain I can take right now.

Have any of you had the minilap? What was the recovery like if you did?

PS hope those who've had their surgery already are well on the road to recovery! Isn't it annoying that this kind of stuff is yet another 'joy' of being femal? As if periods aren't enough for us to contend with!

• Posted

It’s almost been two months since my surgery, as I only have one ovary left and I’ve been trying to conceive, more seriously now. And it’s still difficult as it was before my surgery also. But post op, definitely let your body heal. Dementia runs in my family also so it also frightens me too. The quicker you get your surgery over, the quicker you can begin to heal and move forward! Have a positive outlook, do research, I recently joined a forum on ovulationcalculator that really helps with tracking ovulation and all the good stuff. I hope you have a smooth surgery and quick recovery 😸

• Posted

Hi ......

firstly the waiting is the worst  part

Im 3 weeks post op yesterday it feels more like 10 weeks post op ....

firstly to put your mind at rest men get dementia don’t they and they  don’t have ovaries 

my Nan has Alzheimer’s too 

my research is hrt you need to keep your hormone levels up protect your bones and sanity lol..

but your brain needs lots of good fats 

so flax seed oil is good for your brain as well as your joints and for ovarie function .

The op go with an open mind think you will be pain free when you wake up and you will be healing 

I had my uterus removed fa good few yrs ago  I was so tired after my uterus removal but having an ovary removed has made me slow down I don’t have the energy 

I have rested and your body will tell you that you have over done it 

Monday I done my children’s pack ups by 10 am I was swollen time for sofa and then I prep tea then sofa then cooked tea 

I haven’t  lifted anything heavy .

My body won’t let me do what I want but it’s not a rush is it ?

I would invest in some dry shampoo as raising your arms when you take your shower is a nightmare dry shampoo to help you have clean hair plus you will feel lots better after a shower 

be organised get some ready meals in 

stock up on windeeze I’m still on them now as swelling still which is wind 

also peppermint tea to help with the trapped gas 

I felt terrible before my op all I could think of was the op 

my left side has healed lovely no issues no pain but my right side were they went in key hole I’m badly bruised and swollen 

we are all different .

i have been out to the supermarket today with a friend and that done me in sofa it was again .

good luck for Tuesday and keep us posted 

you will feel better as soon as you wake up your hip pain will be gone 

then you can heal over Christmas and new year it is for us all X

ps hope you are all ready for Christmas as this will help you with the healing 

as you won’t want to do much the first week .

• Posted

Thanks for all that advice, very, very helpful. Peppermint tea has gone straight on the shopping list!

One of the most annoying things about all this is its probably not going to have any effect on my pain. The cyst was found incidentally on a scan for my back, whilst they were trying to figure out why I've suddenly gone from being able to climb mountains (quite literally - I was up Skiddaw in january) to barely being able to walk round the shops now. They also found a herniated disc which is suspect number 1 (but stubbornly refusing to improve) but that'll have to wait for a few weeks!

• Posted

Our stories sound similar. I have spine and Si joint issues so also had an mri for my back and spine and a 7cm complex ovarian cyst was found. Thankfully it also turned out to be a teratoma so the biopsy post op confirmed it was benign. As there had been a potential risk for myself of ovarian cancer, the consultant went for a laparoscopic orocedure but then did also end up doing a larger vertical incision from the belly button downwards. This had to be large enough for the cyst to be removed intact. I’m just 8 weeks post  op and hadn’t had any gynaecological symptoms at all. I’m 47 and am in a different position as I have 3 “children”, now 20, 17 and 14, post op my first period wS fine, but the. Have only just got my next period. From week 3-5 I had hot flushes , initially every hour and then this has lessened. I went back to work 2 weeks ago (my consultant did want me to take until the New Year but I was keen to get back). In terms of my back pain and nerve pain both my oncologist/gynaecologist consultant and my ortgopaedic consultant this kid the pain has been irritated by being compressed by the cyst and then the nerves messed with to remove it. On the other hand I have had 8 spinal ops over the last 11 years,with 2 being this year too, so feel like my body has taken a bit of a beating. I csn’t Comment on fertility and don’t know yet whether this will trigger an earlier menopause but i’m Sure hurt will help when the time comes. Like others have said I csn’t Risk the effect to my bones of hormone levels drop. Good luck for next week, you’ll be fine but will need to rest and let others run around after you at Christmas.let us know how you get on, take care!

• Posted

I don’t know if they still do it, but back on the 90’s and early 2000’s Boots did something called persona. It was bought as a natural way to deal with contraception, but basically it was an electronic device and stick which included urine sticks and it would calculate your cycle. Each morning you’d check it and if I it lit as Amber you used a urine stick and it would then measure hormone levels and would be able to identify when you ovulate too. On other days it would show as green (no urine sample needed). The first month I took a while to get to know your cycle based on your hormone readings, but after that it got more and more precise. It was useful to identify ovulation or days to avoid or use alternative contraception. Temperature changes also indicate ovulation along with other changes, so is worth buying a good digital thermometer to use first thing in the morning to track these changes. It’s all information that helps. Good luck I hope things work out for you soon.
    • Posted

I I can sympathise. My heart sank when they found this as i’d Had 2 significant spinal ops this year and steroid injections so to go through a further surgery when I had no symptoms (other than my back issues) was not on my “to do “ list. I must admit my back and nerve pain is no better at all and has possibly been aggravated, but I had to view my cyst as a lucky find before it did turn into something nasty. You’ll be okay after this op, you will just need to rest and take your time and then deal with your back issues after. I know that isn’t easy as back pain is relentless, but you will get there, one day at a time. Hope it goes well.
    • Posted

Hi Cath92471 

just st thought I would pop in and find out how you are doing 

your a week post op today that’s if your op wasn’t cancelled 

Hope  you are comfortable and taking things easy 

dont rush as you will set yourself back 

hope the op went well and you are being looked after over the festive season x

• Posted

Hello! I'm a little late to the show but I hope everyone is recovering well. I've been trying to find some people who have gone through a similar experience as me and if they are experiencing FATIGUE at 3 mos. post op. My country is very considerate that allows women to have a 60-day paid leave for any surgeries that involve reproductive organs but now that I am back at work I am wondering if it's an effect of the operation or if I've just gotten used to doing nothing.

Background:

Surgery: Last Nov. 11 / Left Ovary with Fallopian Tube and Appendix (as a bonus)

Size: 29 cm x 18 cm Mucinous Cyst that took over my ovary (I posted a photo for kicks and giggles)

Please let me know!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.