Unofficial Poll- Symfony IOL

Posted , 15 users are following.

Members who have Symfony IOL-Would you make the same choice again?

Y or N

Can add main reasons for your vote. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had the symfony toric for a year. Still working on some issues. The toric part didn't work so I had an LRI. I now need a YAG in the right eye. My doctor has used these lenses alot and has many satisfied patients. I am completely satisfied with my daytime vision. I never use glasses unless I'm reading a pill bottle. I do have the nightime starbursts, halos and circles which is definitely a compromise. I drive at night and have gotten used to them. I could see for some people they would be too bothered with them to be happy. Because of this my husband just had the standard lens put in. I see him always looking for his glasses. I am happy that I don't have to do that so I would use them again. 

• Posted

Does your husband have any of the nighttime starbursts, halos, or circle issues that you have experienced?
    • Posted

I know everyone’s eyes are different, but a good friend had her surgeries In December and January and used the regular lens, but did one eye for distance and the other for close up and she has the halos, starbursts, etc. at night and is on her third pair of prescription glasses and is still having difficulty driving at night. Her experience makes me think it can happen with regular IOLs as well as Symfony lenses.
    • Posted

Yes indeed some night time artifacts like halos around some bright lights can happen with any type of IOL especially if you have relatively large pupil size in a darker environment. 

The diameter of most of the IOLs are around 6mm, so if your eye's pupil size gets much larger than that apparently light can sometimes reflect off the edge of the IOL and can cause a ring or partial ring/arc of light around some bright light sources.

I personally have seen that partial ring of light sometimes in dark environments when my right eye's pupil can get a little larger than the diameter of my toric monofocal IOL.  If I reduce the pupil size by staring for a few seconds at a flashlight the ring goes away.  Fortunately it doesn't happen too often for me while driving at night since there is usually enough background light from other car's headlights, etc to keep my pupil size from getting too large. 

Its really bad only for me for a few hours after a dilated eye exam when the eye doctor artificially dilates your eyes so the pupils are extra large - during that time I see full circles of lights around light sources even out in the daylight like driving home from the eye doctor exam that day and around the house until later that evening when the dilation drops wear off. 

My right eye pupil was measured by the eye doctor recently at a little over 7mm, so that is just larger than the 6mm of the IOL so thats when you can expect to start to see those type of halos or rings with any type of IOL. The pupil size usually gets smaller as you age, so this is a bigger issue for someone relatively younger say under the age of 50 if they get an artificial eye lens of any type.

• Posted

Yes.

Its been about 18 months since my surgery and despite the concentric circles, the improvements to my eyesight (I had moderately severe astigmatism and myopia) are remarkable. I'm so glad I found an experienced surgeon who took such care in eye measurements and lens selection. All the calculations resulted in two symfony toric lenses leaving me with close to 20/20 vision.

• Posted

My husband's bionic eyes are 2 years old now. wink One month after his 2nd eye surgery, he was 20/17. Now he is 20/15 or even better on some days. His eye surgeon is very experienced and skillful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.