Unsuccessful posterior repair?

Posted , 9 users are following.

i found this forum a great help and reassurance when i had my posterior repair a year ago. Initially the repair seemed to work and i have to admit, changed my life. A few weeks ago i started to feel different again and im now positive the repair has failed. im back to the same problems i had before - constant inability to poo, feeling like i have something in me, bloating and wind from not being able to the bathroom.. the list goes on.

my surgery was only a year ago. has anyone else experienced this? is it possible to have the op twice? is it even worth having again if its failed this time? i know i need to see my doc but im too anxious - the very thought of experiencing the pain and immobility again is daunting to say the very least.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was very interested to read this as I am having the same problems and am due to see a consultant. Just wondering if it is worth having the repair, or should I struggle on.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

It seems that there are a few of us experiencing post op problems.Again, I would say go back to your GP and talk it through with him/her . I was referred back to gynae so waiting for an appointment. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello, like you I'm finding this forum useful. I've been referred back to gynae having had a rectocele and cystocele repair at the end of Nov, last year. I feel it has been unsuccessful, so will be interesting to see what they have to say! You need to go back to yo u r GP and ask for a referral back to your consultant. It is understandable that you are anxious, so the sooner you do it the better! X

• Posted

Hello, like you I'm finding this forum useful. I've been referred back to gynae having had a rectocele and cystocele repair at the end of Nov, last year. I feel it has been unsuccessful, so will be interesting to see what they have to say! You need to go back to yo u r GP and ask for a referral back to your consultant. It is understandable that you are anxious, so the sooner you do it the better! X

• Posted

Hi Mandie. Definitely go back to your GP and ask to be referred to your uro gynae consultant. Prolapse repairs do fail sometimes for a number of reasons. What is your age Mandie? I've had three pelvic floor repairs since I was 40. I'm now 76 and I think the last one, two years ago has failed too. I'm assuming it's because of my age and I believe my muscles, (all over my body) not just pelvic ones are now too weak to support any more surgery. So try to get things sorted soon as poss if your still quite young. Best wishes Ellie. x

• Posted

HI Ellie,

im almost 45. i suffered for a good few years before seeking help initially - My problems started after the birth of my forth and last child who is almsot 6. i take movicol daily but thats not even helping now. im a teacher so im on my feet all day - it always feels worse come the evenings. i was signed off work for 12 weeks last time ! I know i should go back to see my consultant but i am not sure i can face the surgery again!

• Posted

Hi Mandie. I know how you feel, I was the same but it's better now than when you're older believe me! Just go and talk to your GP or surgery nurse maybe. It will be good for you to chat to one of them for peace of mind I think. Best wishes, Ellie. X

• Posted

Forgot to say.... I bought a squatty stool, you put it round base of toilet to lift legs into squatting position therefore helping you to pass stools easier. I bought it from Amazon. Also, have you tried 'Lactulose' or 'Movicol'. They help soften the stools to make things easier for you. X

• Posted

This advice is most helpful. Thank you Mandie.

Any idea how long it takes to see a consultant?

• Posted

Hi Hazel. It depends where you live. some areas have to wait longer than others I think. If you can afford to pay for an appointment privately with a consultant in your area/hospital it's much quicker. Not sure how much these days but around £100-£200 per appointmentI would think. You can find out more on your local hospital website and look up uro gynae consultants too. You would find them on private hospital/clinic website for your area. Uro gynaecologists are the best ones for this type of pelvic floor repairs and prolapse. Hope this helps. X 😃

• Posted

Thanks Ellie. Hearing all the horror stories about pelvic floor repair, I was wondering if pelvic floor exercises could be the answer. Has anyone tried them? And, what about pessaries?

• Posted

hello ladies

pelvic floor exercises should be done for life but if yiu already have a prolapse they wont change that but just strengthen the floor itself.

once you have a prolapse it wont disappear but exercises should still be done to prevent incontinence etc.

not all repairs have bad endings, however there are no guarantees it will be successful.

our tissues get weak as we age and will continue to stretch also.

I am age 51mslim fit and just had my tvh and anterior done last January due to bladder prolapse and my uterus had dropped down.. I've no leakage before or after surgery. I've had no issues at all with mine this time.

my first one in 2016 never held fir long so I had it redone 2 yrs later.

I've not had any pessary... I wouldn't work for me at all as yiu gave to keep taking it out to clean.. no thanks lol.

good luck xx

• Posted

Thanks a million for clarifying so many issues. I thought slim people didn't suffer prolapse so there's no point in going on a diet.

Regarding the operation itself, is it very painful, do you have to stay in hospital for a long time?

• Posted

Pelvic floor exercises should always be done to strengthen the muscles, they could help prevent prolapse in some and strengthen pelvic floor in all of us. (That includes men too!) They won't repair a prolapse you already have, that will need surgery and depends on your urogynae's diagnosis as to what needs doing. I tried a pessary once. A shelf pessary made of some hard plastic material. It made things worse for me, causing back pain and pressure on rectocele and did nothing for my bladder probs. I had a reaction to the plastic, (allergic to some synthetic materials). I had to have it removed to get a transvaginal ultrasound and it had stuck due to swelling. It was very difficult to remove and painful too. I did not have it put back in. So.... I cannot recommend these. They may suit some people however so should be discussed with surgeon if you don't have allergies! Make sure they listen, mine ignored me and said, oh, it will be fine! It was not fine as you see. We are all different though so worth considering. I don't think being slim makes a difference to proplapse as even athletes are known to have them. It helps recovery if we are slim and fit so I was told. Best wishes, Ellie 😉

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Ellie, which is very helpful. I really didn't know that even athletes could have prolapse. You've enlightened me about a lot of things.

One more question remains - is the operation very painful and does it entail a long hospital stay.

Many thanks Ellie, and all the best,

Hazel

• Posted

Hi Hazel. Glad to be of help. I had very little pain after the surgery apart from the first night. I was given a dose of Oramorph which helped and I went back to sleep. I had the vag packing removed next day and all was well for me after that. Not too much pain, just a achiness really. I was prescribed pain meds which I take for arthritis anyway so maybe they helped. Try to think positive and don't worry too much about others stories as we are all different and feel pain differently too. Some of us have high pain tolerance and some have low. You will have to be careful not to lift anything, just rest for the first 4 weeks or so and walk about the house and garden to keep muscles toned. You must take the surgeons advice as to when you can resume 'normal' duties as he will know the extent of the surgery and how long full healing might take. I was told 4 months but had two things done, rectocele repair and vaginal vault prolapse. (Sacrospinous fixation) or SSF. I was in hospital two days but some are a bit more or less than that. Hope all goes well for you and keep in touch with us. Regards Ellie. X

• Posted

hazel

slim people can get prolapse it's the stretching of tissue and muscles usually done through child abd and lack of estrogen at menopause.

with regards pain the tvh was a breeze and the anterior was pain free.

rectoceke repairs are a bit more painful but we all are so different.

j know a friend that had no pain after her rectocele repair.xx

• Posted

Many, many thanks Welshgirl. You really have set my mind at ease. I thought I wouldn't be able to walk up the stairs, etc. , so now I can relax.

Thanks a million! xxx

• Posted

oh hazel I could walk up stairs once I was home on day 3.

I even had a 4 hr car journey back and I was fine. stopping ever hour to walk a little for circulation.

I was absolutely petrified for hysterectomy and repair together but all I had was cramps for a couple of days then nothing after day 5.

rested for 6 weeks ,just small walks round garden after week 1 then slightly more after each week. no lifting,bending for 6 wks . those grabbers was a very handy tool to have.

please dont worry it will all be fine hun.

• Posted

Thanks Welshgirl. Will let you know how I get on. In the meantime I am carrying on with my pelvic floor exercises and they seem to help, though not all the time. Probably more psychological. xx

• Posted

my mind played awful tricks with me but I still felt like I had a lemon inside my vag lol,awful feeling.

we go through hell us women.xx

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean, and it's so nice to chat about it with you!

Have a great weekend.xx

• Posted

the back wall repair is a bit more painful but anterior repair for me was pain free.

I had tvh and anterior and was in for 2 nights hun.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.