Unwanted side effects

Posted , 16 users are following.

:? My GP thinks that I may have irratable bowel syndrome, but I am not at all sure that this is the cause of my stomach problems I am experiencing.

He prescribed Mebeverine Hydrochloride to see how this worked out.

Within 45 minutes of taking the tablet, I found I was dizzy, disorientated and felt very weak and was driving at the time. This passed after about 5 minutes.

I took my second tablet and again 45 minutes after taking it the side effects were much worse than with the mornings tablet: My face and neck went very hot and the dizziness and disorientation began, I decided to work through it, but pretty soon, I felt the muscles under my ears and into the jaw line, not behave as i was expecting. I felt my jaw begin to lock and it was very very frightening. I swayed when I walked back to the kitchen and my husband, and sat down, as these symtoms continued for at least 15 minutes more, I rang the NHS Direct No. and 2 doctors told me that my symptoms were definately due to the drug taken and that I should never use them again. None of these symptoms are displayed on the contra-indications on the tablet leaflet though.

I thought after this and it suddenly came to me that around 25 years ago, a previous doctor has prescribed this type of IBS relief tablet and these too had the same effect on me and I had to stop taking them after taking 2 of them.

I would be interested to hear of any other patient who had experienced any of the symptoms I did, as I feel I cannot be the only one who has a reaction to this type of drug.

I now take no medication and my GP says to try and manage the situation with Mint Tea! I will give it a go, but dont old out much hope of help.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

[quote:610b097f1d=\"ml \"]hi pple just like to say i have been on mebeverine 135mg twice daily for 10 yrs with no side effects been off them a week as they have been discontined and all is well fingers xed does any body know why they been stopped?ps all the best 2 u all[/quote:610b097f1d]

My 14 year old son has been given these tablets a few days ago, 3 times a day. I tell him to try to keep taking them even tho they make him have terrible stomach pains worse than before ( if it could get any worse ..seeing him doubled up in pain breaks my heart ). He has had so much time off school for his problem but I'm at a loss of what to do next.... Need some feedback from others that understand what my son is going through. Don't know where to turn for help for him...

• Posted

I was experiencing a bloated upper abdomen since last 2 months infrequently...Went to my doctor..have been prescribed mebervine hydrochloride.... But it surely has sideeffects of dizziness & disorientation.. My doctor has asked me to stop that medicine. this compound really makes your life uneasy...
  • Posted

I explained my symptoms to my doctor, I've been off malt loaf, bread, pasta, pizza and some pastries to stop stomach cramps. He reckoned I had ibs and put me on mebeverine and to go back in 3 weeks. He's also suggested I go back to eating bread & pasta, I'm not too sure. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I don't want to go back to stomach cramps. A nurse I know from the same doctors surgery, her opinion is that I have been mis-diagnosed & should not go back to eating what made me bad in the first place as it appears to be an intolerance to gluten.
  • Posted

It sounds like you could possibly have Coeliac Disease. This is not an allergy but a physiological intolerance to gluten, which is present in wheat, barley & rye.

I recommend that you look it up for more information. I have been a Coeliac for 16yrs and have seen it become much more widely diagnosed, recognised and catered for.

If you think you may have this DONT make the common mistake of trying to cut out these foods first. There is now a very simple blood test that detects presence of Coeliac disease. If this is positive, then diagnosis is confirmed by endoscopy.

BUT - gluten MUST be present in the diet to get an accurate blood test, so this must be done first. Coeliac disease wears away the villi (surface area) of the digestive system, so other food can not be digested properly. Commonly lactose is the first food to cause difficulty. This can fool people into thinking they have a lactose intolerance, but it is only temporary. The villi recover & grow back on a gluten-free diet and then lactose etc can been digested again. However the gluten must be avoided for life.

This takes some adjusting to, but there is loads of help & support from the Coeliac Society. They have 100s of thousands of members, and it's believed that 1 person in every 100 is a Coeliac, probably a lot more as so many go undiagnosed. Doctors are not always efficient at spotting it.

There are thousands of Coeliacs alive & well today who would eventually have died of malnutrition years ago!!

Anyway, it's well worth asking your doctor for the blood test. Good luck!!

• Posted

When I was about 15/16 I too had REALLY bad stomach cramps, I used to just roll about on floor in front of radiator with a hot water bottle, I was also sick and really tired all the time, bloated belly and kept burping!! doctors couldn't find anything so diagnosed me with IBS but medication made me even worse. Luckly my mums friend suggested that it might be an allergy/intolerance, I gave up wheat, corn and milk products (after having a test privately ) and within a few weeks I was fine. Maybe your son has something similar? It's worth checking, I am so glad that I did as I had no life when I felt like that. Doctors said that I wasn't allergic to anything (although did no tests) and I think they thought me or my mum were crazy to even consider eliminating these foods but although avoiding these foods is sometimes hard it is SO worth it :wink:
  • Posted

My 12 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with IBS and so far has taken 2 doses and feels much better. She hasn't been to school properly since christmas and feels so low. I am just hoping that Mebeverine does the trick for her and helps get back to being a normal kid.

You're not the only one out there - it's very lonely and frustrating as a Mum not being able to help your child and seeing them in so much pain. Good luck.

• Posted

[b:b339f457aa][color=darkblue:b339f457aa][/color:b339f457aa]

Hi, I wrote my experience with Mebeverine 3 years ago now on this site and have just been reading the replies.

I am pleased to see that I was not alone in my experience of the awful side effects of this Drug, but sorry that so many of you too have had them and quite frankly I feel something should be done by the Drug company to print these quite frightening side effects onto their leaflets.

I still have IBS and cope with it the best I can but luckily I dont have such crippling stomach aches with it as some of you have, but all the same its very unpleasant and I get all the other symptoms too.

Mebeverine clearly acts in such a way on our bodies that it causes in a good deal of people these really bad side effects, my own werre so bad that my Husband called NHS 24 out and they confirmed immediately that I should never take these tablets again, they told me that some peoples systems were very sensitive to the ingredients and I obviously am, Colofac affects me in the same way to a degree also.

My GP made me feel I was the only person on earth to have these side effects from the Mebeverine but he knows differently now as he confirms he has since had other patients become quite ill after taking it.

All you out there who take it, if it works for you with no side effects all well and good, but I would suggest the first tablet that you take should be when you are at home with somebody else present if it does make you ill.

I would never take it again no matter how bad my IBS gets, Mint Tea helps.

[/b:b339f457aa]

• Posted

my daughter who is 13 also has nearly had a year off school she has weakness in legs pain in her tummy and aching eyes she also has been diagnosed with ibs it does not seem to be helping her and anyone help?
  • Posted

[quote:b375423608=\"nixxy\"]my daughter who is 13 also has nearly had a year off school she has weakness in legs pain in her tummy and aching eyes she also has been diagnosed with ibs it does not seem to be helping her and anyone help?[/quote:b375423608]

I take Colofac, which is a sugar coated version of Mebeverine. For me it seems to have less side effects than the Generic version of Mebeverine 135mg. There is also a capsule version at 200mg, that one gave me bad wind. I have taken all types of tablets available for ibs. There seems to me a link on some of them. You get dizzy after you take them, but it fades after a hour all so. Also, as the pills relax gut muscle...they can relax other muscles in the body. Your left hand side can go numb, and a pins & needles feeling goes down the left shoulder & arm. Your left leg can go numb too. The tablets can effect eye muscles too.

I would only take one a day before lunch, every day for a couple of weeks & see if the symptons pass. There are quite a few different tablets for ibs. Some are better, some not. Peppermint tea tends to cause diarrhoea, thougn colpermin capsules may be better & safer. But any tablet that deals with gut spasm tends to upset the head with a touch of dizziness, because everything in the body is connected.

• Posted

I take Colofac, which is a sugar coated version of Mebeverine. For me it seems to have less side effects than the Generic version of Mebeverine 135mg. There is also a capsule version at 200mg, that one gave me bad wind. I have taken all types of tablets available for ibs. There seems to me a link on some of them. You get dizzy after you take them, but it fades after a hour all so. Also, as the pills relax gut muscle...they can relax other muscles in the body. Your left hand side can go numb, and a pins & needles feeling goes down the left shoulder & arm. Your left leg can go numb too. The tablets can effect eye muscles too.

I would only take one a day before lunch, every day for a couple of weeks & see if the symptons pass. There are quite a few different tablets for ibs. Some are better, some not. Peppermint tea tends to cause diarrhoea, thougn colpermin capsules may be better & safer. But any tablet that deals with gut spasm tends to upset the head with a touch of dizziness, because everything in the body is connected. From the gut to the brain, there is a nerve called the Vagas Nerve. It runs through the digestive system, through the heart, & brain. If the Vagas nerve is upset, by the the likes of ibs, you can get palpitations & someone else mentioned that. You can shake uncontrollably & that`s without taking any tablets. The ibs just messes up the central nervous system. I've experience all that since i've had it. It takes years to calm ibs down. THe gut muscles are not that strong, and are easily abused.

• Posted

Hi guys,

I have been taking this drug 135mgs 3 times a day for last 2 weeks. i have not experienced any side effects so far. and the IBS pains has eased off a bit too. however its not all gone. should i ask my doctor to give me the higher dose? anyone out there taking 200mg?????

• Posted

[quote:92edf15ec1=\"Saavi\"]Hi guys,

I have been taking this drug 135mgs 3 times a day for last 2 weeks. i have not experienced any side effects so far. and the IBS pains has eased off a bit too. however its not all gone. should i ask my doctor to give me the higher dose? anyone out there taking 200mg?????[/quote:92edf15ec1]

The 200mg is capsule form & is slower working. These did not work well for me. They gave me massive wind & growling of the gut. The 200mg are only supposed to be taken twice a day anyway.

The 135mg tablet usually takes a few months to improve things significantly. Much more than 2 weeks. Stick with them. Infact I'd say drop to 2 a day because sometimes the gut gets used to them & they stop working properly. Instead of taking one in the morning, buy some Vitamin B Complex one a day pills, as they are good for bowel muscle. If you find that you are stressed, I find taking a Benadryl (Acrivastine) capsule helps, although they are Allergy pills, they also calm the bowel.

• Posted

I have been on Colifac 135 for many years, but I only take them when necessary - as in when my IBS seems worst.

Although it is supposed to work on a long term effect, I found a low dosage enough.

To those people afraid of trying this medication, I would think a low dose start is good - and it worked for me. I am now in my 50's and started this when in my 30's. I do try and reduce my fat intake ( as this can sometimes irritate the bowel further) and now I can eat multi grain bread - which is good for fibre intake. - however we make / bake our own bread, with ingredients that exclude preservitaves and additives - which seems to solve many problems.

I hope this comment helps some of you, but one last thing is that if you are still concerned, take the medication at the doctors surgery, where help can be administered if required immediately.

• Posted

Hey up peeps? Well i've had this IBS for years according to the doctor and I just put up with waking up in pain and going to bed in pain for years. Eventually I got prescribed buscopan, which cured the problem overnight. However after maybe four months it appeared that I had taken the four or eight times a day ( I forget ) to far, and alas my body was fighting them it would appear. Anyway a friend says try Mebeverine so I promptly asked the doc for them and got them and once again the problem just went away, no side affects what so ever for me. Alas I am writing this in pain again after only two or three months on 3 tablets a day. Now I do notice that if I get a cold or something else, which I just have had, the tablets appear to stop working so well. Therefore I am hoping that they will kick in again. I would say unless you have had the bad affects you should try these or buscopan and if you get bad affects then just stop them right away because it's really not worth trading one for the other. Also I don't trust docs 100% so if you can afford tests to check for allergies etc then do them private. Hope you are all as well as you can be.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear your 14 year old son is suffering, you asked for help so just thought id share what i know, hope it helps.

...a lot of stomach problems and ibs type symptoms are caused by tension, if hes a concientious person who stresses or worries about things and doesnt get rid of built up frustration through sport or relaxation it kind of finds somewhere to hide in the body and causes muscle spasms. Sometimes it helps just to know theres usually nothing physically wrong once the patient realises its just tension the symptoms can go away, like the tension cant hide anymore, its the same with back pain. So i try to do what makes me happy and not get too stressed.

Im on mebeverine to calm down my recent diarrohea usually I suffer from the opposite problem, so far I feel ok on the tablets. If I wasnt happy on them id stop them.

Acidophilis pearls are really helpful, its a kind of probiotic good bacteria type thing balances out your gut, I buy a good quality one from my chiropracters . He also recommends avoiding eating anything from the pig its not healthy for the gut at all.

I also take one or two drops of peppermint oil in some boiled water if I get pains in my stomach before or after going to the toilet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.