Unwanted side effects

Posted , 16 users are following.

:? My GP thinks that I may have irratable bowel syndrome, but I am not at all sure that this is the cause of my stomach problems I am experiencing.

He prescribed Mebeverine Hydrochloride to see how this worked out.

Within 45 minutes of taking the tablet, I found I was dizzy, disorientated and felt very weak and was driving at the time. This passed after about 5 minutes.

I took my second tablet and again 45 minutes after taking it the side effects were much worse than with the mornings tablet: My face and neck went very hot and the dizziness and disorientation began, I decided to work through it, but pretty soon, I felt the muscles under my ears and into the jaw line, not behave as i was expecting. I felt my jaw begin to lock and it was very very frightening. I swayed when I walked back to the kitchen and my husband, and sat down, as these symtoms continued for at least 15 minutes more, I rang the NHS Direct No. and 2 doctors told me that my symptoms were definately due to the drug taken and that I should never use them again. None of these symptoms are displayed on the contra-indications on the tablet leaflet though.

I thought after this and it suddenly came to me that around 25 years ago, a previous doctor has prescribed this type of IBS relief tablet and these too had the same effect on me and I had to stop taking them after taking 2 of them.

I would be interested to hear of any other patient who had experienced any of the symptoms I did, as I feel I cannot be the only one who has a reaction to this type of drug.

I now take no medication and my GP says to try and manage the situation with Mint Tea! I will give it a go, but dont old out much hope of help.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been taking these tablets for about a week or so and feel awful. I can't stay awake and feel dizzy and 'fluttery' all the time. I feel like my heart beat is strange and feel just generally very unwell. Don't know if its these tablets or not.

• Posted

after reading these posts, i might have a new one? Iv been given these for food poisoning, meant to help with my stomach pains so i was told. But as a few have said, i feel very lethargic an tierd and also unbleivable sweats n feeling flushed in the face, also my appetite has gone?

• Posted

I am 29 year old male diagnosed with IBS few months ago. The doctor performed an endoscopy and  said there is mild inflammation. He put me on Colorelax and an antacid. Very soon the symptoms aggravated and my stomach started bloating with gas like a gas balloon with pain in my abdomen, and yes severe back pain!!! Just before meals I started feeling dizzy and would almost fall down. I called him and explained the situation. He insists that it could be because of some issue inside my body and not the mebeverine stuff!!!!?? I never had such terrible symptoms before and for the records I had every damn test done on my body including a CT scan.. For some reason western medicine still cannot conclude what's the issue and how to rectify. Anyways he suggested me to stop the medication for few days and see how my system performs. I will post an update later on my health. 
  • Posted

I have suffered from IBS on and off for years and spent months trying to identify what the trigger was and eventually put it down to processed bread, since my wife started baking our own I have been relatively free of IBS for the past year or so.

Regretably out of the blue I was suddenly struck down with it last week so started to take Meberverine again and was pleased to read that others were having symptoms the same as I was experiancing i.e: dizziness / pains in the neck and lack of appetite, until I read these reports I was sure I was coming down with something more serious. I have just ordered sillicol Gel to try as that is supposed to help ibs sufferers.

• Posted

It is very interesting reading all these comments about dizziness. I was on Mebeverine a few years ago for quite a long time when I had pancreatitus then things settled down and I stopped taking them. I felt dizzy at the time but because of my other health problems, I never thought that would have come from the tablets. I was told by the consultant that they were very mild and they were safe to take. When you are ill, you believe doctors and consultants!!!

My IBS came back so I am back on Mebeverine and the dizzy symptoms have come back. In fact I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow about these symptoms. I think reading through the posts, I have found the cure to my problems and will definetely come off the tablets.

• Posted

I am on them too but my instructions are to take them 20 mins before food. If you do this you dont get the dizzyu effects but they have stopped me from sleeping.

If you take one and dont eat you will feel as though you are going to collapse but the minute you have a few mouthfuls of food the symptoms go away.

May not work like that for you but it works that way for me.

Male 55 yrs

• Posted

You must take it EXACTLY 20mins before food.

if you get side effects lie down they only last 15-30mins.

Your body needs to get used to it andfter a week the effects subside dramatically.

The positives outweigh the negs.

• Posted

Mebeverine did nothing for my IBS symptoms at all; I only experienced side effects.  I tried them twice and felt awful on both occasions so they went straight to the bin.  Buscopan controls my symptoms with no side effects.
    • Posted

when you say twice do you mean 2 pills or a course of them twice?

it takes about a week for your body to get used to the drug

you have to take them EXACTLY 20mins before food

if you are 5 mins early or 5 mins late you WILL experience side effects

i can take them now...after being on them 4 weeks...and get no side effects except once which made me think the strength could be slightly inconsistent or it was simply other `body conditions`

they stopped all my flatulence instantly, and i now have solid stools but i had to take them for 15-20 days before this happened

i also only take 2 a day, not 3 as directed, as i only eat twice a day

YMMV

• Posted

I tried one dose three times a day for one day and I felt awful within minutes.  I stopped them for a few days to see if the side effects cleared up and they did.  I then tried the same dose again for one day with the same result.  I developed indigestion, increased constipation, lack of appetite and I was aware of digesting my food for an hour.  If they had helped my IBS I might have persevered but I got no benefit so I decided it was not worth it if I was going to feel this unwell.   As food does not affect my IBS perhaps that's why I felt no difference.  The bin was the best place for them.
    • Posted

You were looking for an `instant` effect/cure but they don`t work like that you need to build up to the full effect.

But as you did get instand sides then maybe they are not for you/

good luck i hope you actually get rid of your IBS for good

i dont have much faith but if i need to take them constantly then so be it

i will however remember the ones you are on and may ask the doc if i can try them if the mebevarine fails to provide a `cure`

all we can do is hope lol

• Posted

Although I have already posted my side effects with Mebeverine on this site, I would like to add that none of the ill effects I had were mentioned on the patient leaflet.  I thought I was imagining my symptoms until I googled them and saw them all listed one after the other.  I told my doctor and he took a note of them for his records.
    • Posted

yes its very strange that there is no warning on the sides

the nhs website in the uk doesnt list them either they simply say that the positives far outtweigh the negs but then i havent tried buscopan

i was the same as you i checked in a search engine for the sides AFTER getting them and it brought me here!

• Posted

I was described Mebevarine yesterday and my first 2 doses were fine but my lunchtime does has left me with rolling stomach cramps? I am not even sure I have IBS tbh...I went to Egypt last year and was really ill and stayed ill when I got back, i stopped Lactose and it seemed to get better...then it got worse again....so I stopped dairy and it seem to get better....then it got worse again so I went to my doctors and they have prescribed this pill - if anything i will lose some weight as the cramps started <10 mins after my first bite so i stopped eating.

• Posted

Danielle go to Amazon and buy yourself 2 bottles of BLACK WALNUT AND WORMWOOD COMPLEX now get yourself a little beaker and use the dropper to unload 3 droppers full of the liquid into the beaker. Thats approx 2ml.

Do this 3 times a day for 5 days which will use up miost of the 1st bottle. Now stop for 2 weeks to let any eggs hatch then repeat for 5 days again. Then buy a 3rd bottle if you are getting results and take 2ml once a week for 3 months.

I suspect you have the same as I had which is a spider parasite infection which mimics the symptoms of IBS perfectly. You get this infection through eating uncooked meat or from a waiters dirty hands. It starts to work right after the first 2ml dose and it doesnt run the guts out of you but it does cleanse yoiur colon and intestines. It tastes like clove oil the stuff you use for toothache but its not awful it just doesnt taste very nice. Come back and thank me for curing you lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.