Unwanted side effects

Posted , 16 users are following.

:? My GP thinks that I may have irratable bowel syndrome, but I am not at all sure that this is the cause of my stomach problems I am experiencing.

He prescribed Mebeverine Hydrochloride to see how this worked out.

Within 45 minutes of taking the tablet, I found I was dizzy, disorientated and felt very weak and was driving at the time. This passed after about 5 minutes.

I took my second tablet and again 45 minutes after taking it the side effects were much worse than with the mornings tablet: My face and neck went very hot and the dizziness and disorientation began, I decided to work through it, but pretty soon, I felt the muscles under my ears and into the jaw line, not behave as i was expecting. I felt my jaw begin to lock and it was very very frightening. I swayed when I walked back to the kitchen and my husband, and sat down, as these symtoms continued for at least 15 minutes more, I rang the NHS Direct No. and 2 doctors told me that my symptoms were definately due to the drug taken and that I should never use them again. None of these symptoms are displayed on the contra-indications on the tablet leaflet though.

I thought after this and it suddenly came to me that around 25 years ago, a previous doctor has prescribed this type of IBS relief tablet and these too had the same effect on me and I had to stop taking them after taking 2 of them.

I would be interested to hear of any other patient who had experienced any of the symptoms I did, as I feel I cannot be the only one who has a reaction to this type of drug.

I now take no medication and my GP says to try and manage the situation with Mint Tea! I will give it a go, but dont old out much hope of help.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.