Up and coming TKR - couple questions

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good morning everyone , hope the day finds you well and pain-free.

Im in the UK, and am due yo have a TKR in March (no specific date as yet). Ive been given loads of info by the Ortho Team, and ws having a read this morning. On reading the section re discharge advice, I was surprised to see the following: You will usually be discharfed 3-5 days post op (which seems the norm). You will also need to be able to straighten the knee fully, and be able to flex/bend the knee to 90 degrees !!!!!! eek 90 degrees???!!! Having read loads of your experiences, I'll still be in hospital at Christmas!! Im assuming they take a lot of other things into consideration, but was just wondering if anyone from the UK had anything to add?

Also, a friend mentioned to me last night that she thought I should be taking some kind of vitamin/dietary supplement prior to the op - did any of you do this, and is there anything you particularly recommend? 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend xx

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Terri.

I hope this helps?

My experience from 2 x TKR's, March and October 2014 was terrific and I could not praise the local health authority enough. I reside in the south east of the U.K in Kent, although my local hospital does not have the best reputation the care I received on both occasions was exemplary.

The hospital issues a very informative booklet covering absolutely everything from pre-op exercises, any additional occupational health equipment you may need such as toilet seat boosters and frames to your aftercare and physio'. They also organise a 'joint club' where potential recipients can meet members of the medical and surgical teams, actually handle the components of the new joint and talk through any difficulties you feel you may encounter, all to ease you gently into the pain hell you are about to enter.

No it's not that bad really, they do their best to put your mind at rest but the not knowing exactly what is going to happen to you is the most terrifying part of the whole procedure, unless you have previous experience of surgery of course, I had not.

Post operation do your bed exercises as instructed, if the nurses offer you pain killers, take them, try and sleep as much as you can in hospital I know its difficult but there is worse to come. The physio' team will visit you day one or two and get you up walking with a frame, do your best to do as they say, you won' t feel like it but it does help for later. Go for crutches as soon as you can (hopefully day 3) and push them to take you to the stairs and complete the up and down exercise, this is your ticket out. Once you have completed that and they are happy you have a carer or support at home you are on the road to freedom usually day 3 or at worst day 4. They don't want to keep you in any longer than necessary, they are terrified you might catch something horrid and they want your bed.

You will find it fairly easy to get the straight leg and the 90° bend to satisfy their discharge criteria whilst you still have the anaesthetic in your system, push hard on the bend you can do it even if you break into a sweat or tears. Unfortunately you will not get the straight or the same bend once at home it all tightens up and becomes sore. A fellow forum member described it on here as like having barbed wire in the joint and it can feel like that.

It does get better though and remarkably quickly once you are at home, again keep up with the exercises, ice regularly, elevate most of the time. Try and get out every day for a walk, not far at first, down the garden or around the block will do, slowly extend your distance if you can, maybe to 1/4 mile perhaps, then ice as soon as you get home again.

There is a whole load of helpful information and advice from really sincere like minded people on this forum, reading the discussion's was an absolute boon to my recovery, I feel very lucky now to be virtually pain free and hoping to live life again, you can do it, nobody can do it for you, but it is worth in the end. Dave.

• Posted

Morning Dave, thanks for your reply.

You sound so positive, and youre only 3 months post your last TKR....

Theres so much useful info here, thank you so much.

Why didnt I think about the anaesthetic still being in my system, making the bend easier?! 

Your local Health Authority sound like the Bees Knees) no pun intended!) with their pre-op care and support group.... You say that they discuss additional aids you may need after surgery - was this equipment provided by them, or did you have to arrange purchase/hire of it yourself? There are a few bits and bobs that I think will help, but I dont want to arrange them myself if the health authority usually provides them. 

I can see that the ice/elevate/exercise/rest routine is the key to success, along with regular medication. 

All you guys on here seem amazing, and so supportive - thanks for you input, and brace yourself for a barrage of questions/moans in the coming weeks! 

Im please that you're getting there with the pain, good luck for the future!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.