Up and coming TKR - couple questions

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good morning everyone , hope the day finds you well and pain-free.

Im in the UK, and am due yo have a TKR in March (no specific date as yet). Ive been given loads of info by the Ortho Team, and ws having a read this morning. On reading the section re discharge advice, I was surprised to see the following: You will usually be discharfed 3-5 days post op (which seems the norm). You will also need to be able to straighten the knee fully, and be able to flex/bend the knee to 90 degrees !!!!!! eek 90 degrees???!!! Having read loads of your experiences, I'll still be in hospital at Christmas!! Im assuming they take a lot of other things into consideration, but was just wondering if anyone from the UK had anything to add?

Also, a friend mentioned to me last night that she thought I should be taking some kind of vitamin/dietary supplement prior to the op - did any of you do this, and is there anything you particularly recommend? 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend xx

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Terri... I am in UK... I was in 9 days . I had spinal and nerve block... not general anaesthetic...would recommend it ... I had reaction to morphine pump on ward.. and fell :-(... I am 20 weeks on... still need a crutch as muscles are weak which means knee gives way.... more falls...Whilst in hospital you will be shown how to do home exercise.. They will have you up walking with a frame for day or two... then crutches... will see how well you can bend and straighten knee... demonstrate you can go up and down the practice stairs in gym.... lots of painkillers then home... I am not going to sugar coat it for you... its. Hard going.... There will be days you wish you had not had op... but this passes... of course everyone heals... tolerates pain differently... listen to your body... If you need to sleep... do so.. Make sure you eat and drink well...take your meds even if you think you don't need them at the time. Do your exercises regularly. I have an exercise bike...balance ball and ankle weights.... I only started using them at about 6 weeks on... Make sure you get a physio referral.... I didn't. Had to go privately... sorry if this is long winded... its not all doom and gloom this has been my experience.... If you want to message me feel free...

Mary.. age 55...

20 weeks post op... TKR.. Scotland..

take care. And best of luck with op..

• Posted

Good morning Mary, thank you for your reply.

How awful for you to have taken a fall whilst still on the ward....that must have been really scary for you.....I'm really nervous about using crutches, I've never used them before......my Hubby broke his ankle a couple of years ago and really stuggled with them, and hes a great big strong thing, not a wimp like me......Everyone seems to say the same thing re medication, that it should be done by the clock, and to me it makes such good sense, dont wait till it hurts....this forum has such a sense of community and support, I think its great.

Hope you continue to go from strength to strength with your own recovery.

• Posted

Hello Terri. I had TKR end of October and can only say everyone is different. My experience went like this. For three months before the operation I did a complete exercise set as directed by Physio. I was operated on Thursday afternoon and was home for lunch on Saturday! Yes - I had disturbed and painful nights. Now at 12 weeks I still get disturbed nights with spasmodic pain due to ligaments still healing BUT I walk well, have restarted dancing, can go up and downstairs so life is pretty good. My advice - do what your Physio says regarding exercises religiously for 12 weeks after the operation, take the pain killers and anti-inflammatories as prescribed. Do not lose hope, it really does get better.

good luck

albert

• Posted

Hello there Albert, thank you for replying.

Dancing after 3 months?? Wow! thats amazing! I imagine that the excercises that you did pre-op must have made a huge difference to you! It must be difficult to religiously keep up the excercises post op, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say - how positive you sound! 

Youve really cheered me up with your tale, and I realsie everyones experience is unique, but thank you.

• Posted

Hi Terri,

I did not take any vitamin/dietary supplements before either of my TKR.  I think you just need to make sure you are as healthy as possible before your op. (Easier said than done, when exercise is difficult with a bad knee)

From my experience, a lot of people do leave hospital 3/5 days after their op. They will be quick to get you up and exercising. They will not discharge you until your bend is ok and you can cope with the crutches - in the hospital I went to, both the physio team and medical team had to agree on your discharge - when I had my second knee done the physio discharged me within days but I had problems with my wound , so had to stay in hospital longer.

If you have a spinal, you'll be surprised how quickly you start to recover.  You just have to be positive.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hello Polly, thanks you for replying.

Another vote for the Spinal/epidural - did you have a sedative as well - the thought of hearing everything that the surgeon is doing gives me the collywobbles!.....Reading everyones stories on here, 3 - 5 days does seem to be the norm, but obviously everyone is different.....Im not sure if both teams have to be in agreement beofe discharge is allowed, but Ill be sure to ask at my Pre-Op appointment. Thats the beauty of this Forum, things I never considered are brought up, and I have the opportunity to ask the Ortho Team.

Have a lovely day. 

• Posted

Hi Terri,

You are going to be much better prepared than I was before my TKR! I did go to an information session beforehand, which terrified me when I learnt about the spinal. However, when the time came, I decided I had to accept the advice given. I didn't have sedation and hadn't gone prepared. I didn't take anything with me but the anaethesist lent me his IPad so that I could listen to the radio. It did feel strange hearing the team talking along with the drilling, banging and smell of smoke but it was worth it in the end.

When I had my second TKR I was prepared with music on my son's IPod and my book.  I actually managed to read several chapters!

Hope I haven't put you off spinals. You need to consider the consequences/risks of anaesthetics.  I am normally a squeamish person who hates injections and having dental treatment so feel if I managed, anyone can!

Good luck again and keep us posted!

• Posted

Hi Terri. This is my second TKR in UK. Both completely different post op. I am now 5 weeks post op. I was in hospital 4days. The physio aim fir 90 degrees bend but dont worry as swelling will restrict this. It did for me I could not raise leg . But it raised after one week so don't worry. I have never had supplements. You don't need them. Just do strengthening exercises now to help your quads.

Robert

• Posted

Hi Robert, thanks for replying.

Isnt it odd that having the same operation twice can prove to be completely different in their outcome.....just shows that so many factors are involved in the whole process....Im reassured by the fact that although the physio aims for the Holy Grail of 90 degrees, its obviously not always immediatley achieved.....And youre another one who wholly advocates pre-op exercises - Ive got a set off the Internet that are specifically tailored to pre-TKR, the handouts that the ortho team have provided dont even mention pre-op exercises, but they seem so important.

You sound really positive at 5 weeks post op, thank you.

• Posted

Hi terri

I'm 11weeks post right knee replacement I had op on Wednesday morning and was discharged Friday. Passed physio but my wound was still bleeding and I still got home.

I had spinal block which I was dreading but it was grand.

My bend at the minute is only 85 I'm gonna start using exercise bike a few times a week.

Although really painful I have never regretted my op as I was in so much pain before hand. I need my other knee done and it hasn't put me off. I'm in the u.k and I'm 52. Good luck!!

• Posted

Hello Margaret, thank you for your response. Discharged after 3 days, impressive! Like yourself, Im absolutely dreading the spinal, and the registrar has made a note on my file for the Anaesthatist that she thinks maybe I should have a General instead.....having read many stories though, people who have had a spinal/epidural have had a quicker and easier early recovery.

Im glad the experience hasnt put you off having the second knee done - I know for a fact that my other one will need doing sooner rather than later. 

And at 55, youre one of the younger ones Ive seen on here - Im 48, and the amount of times I was told I was too young for the op.....quite a novelty to be told Im too young to do something!

So glad youve had such a good result. 

• Posted

Hi Terrible, I am due to have my TKR 26 th Feb. I am having mine done in Chichester where my friend had both of hers done. She was given vitamin drinks prior to her op. Also Hibi scrub to bath in the morning of her op. She like me did Aqua aerobics and per op exercises before and her surgeon said that this helped her recovery. I attend my pre op information day next week will you have a chance to attend this 
    • Posted

Hi there Louise.....wow, not long for you to go now, hope youre not too nervous! It must be really good to have a friend who can give you a first hand account of the Hospital you are going to be in.

Out of curiosity, what were th vitamin drinks that your friend was given? And did they have a specific reason e.g anaemia, or particular vitamin deficiency? 

Good luck with your pre-op next week, and obviously with the Op itself.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Not sure what she was given but it was vitamin s it will be interesting if I get them next week, I will let you know. I am getting to the point that I think I will put up with my old knee, then it reminds me that it is now to old to stay with me!! Mind you the other knee is the same age and only plays up occasionally ? 
  • Posted

Hey Terri,  I'm in the USA and am almost 9 months out from TKR.  I am 60.  Just keep in mind while reading the posts how different we all are!  I would not describe my recovery as horribly painful.  My advice is to take your pain meds as described and do your physical therapy and you will continue to improve.  We all handle pain and medications differently, so you will be reading this in the responses.   I will tell you, there will be sleepless nights, but this was mostly due to me not being able to find a comfortable position.  What I have found is that most people get a little depressed after surgery from anesthesia, pain meds, and being cooped up  for the first few weeks!   After my daily physical therapy trips, I would have my husband take me for a 5-10 minute ride around just to see the sky, water (live by the gulf) and just enjoy being out of the house.  

Just keep pushing forward and you will, like most everyone, know that you made a great decision.  Good luck to you.  

• Posted

Good morning, thank you for your reply.

Im glad that your recovery hasnt been horribly painful, as you say we are all different, and therefore will have a different outcome. I totally understand the difficulty with the comfortable sleeping position, I am experiencing this even before the surgery, and find that the best way to get a few unbroken hours is propped up un the sofa with my knee well supported - it seems that if its not well supported, it kind of "flops" a bit and that causes the pain - I can see me sleeping like this for months to come. 

I can also understand the mental impact after the surgery, I'm pretty much housebound at present, cant walk any distance dow to the pain, and I dont drive so I'm reliant on others if I want to go anywhere, so the isolation can be a real drag....

You sound as though youre having a really good recovery, thank you for sharing with me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.