Upcoming cystocele and rectocele surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Good evening. I am due to have surgery at the end of the month. From what I have read the first month is probably the most difficult. For those of you who have had surgery is there anything you would recommend that I can prepare for/purchase to male life more comfortable/practical in the first weeks. Thank you in advance. 

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Adhere to all advice, strictly! Initially you will have pain relief, and you will not be able to appreciate what major surgery you've had. There will be no external signs, maybe bruising and swelling if you dare to look!

Rest, rest, rest. No lifting, carrying, cleaning, hoovering, stretching, loading and unloading the washing machine. 

Start gentle walking from day one, build up gradually, this will help disperse gas which may give you pain and a swollen tummy. 

Drink lots of water, have sachets of Movecol, not a laxative, prunes and flaxseed to prevent constipation and straining.

Ask about pelvic floor exercises, I was told not to start until six weeks. 

Ask for specifics. What exactly do they mean by no lifting, stretching etc. 

If you're sexually active, they'll say six weeks, that's possibly advice from a male! My female surgeon said three months and that was realistic. ??

Prepare yourself by researching and asking every single question you want an answer to. I wish I'd discovered this forum prior to surgery. 

All the best, the surgery, for me, was the easy bit, it's a long road to full recovery. 

Xx

• Posted

Thank you so much Sheila! That is really helpful. I was going to purchase a memory foam ring for sitting and a tray table for next to my bed. I will add a helping hand too. I had no idea you couldn’t bend! Really appreciate the time for your reply. 😊

• Posted

I am currently four weeks post op for cystocele, rectocele and endocele surgery.   Things I wish I had known before surgery are to have as clean of bowels before surgery as possible.  The heavy pain medications can cause constipation. Don’t wait more than five days to have a bowel movement! I was advised to take a stool softener  once in the morning and once in the evening for weeks before surgery to get my bowels in a regiment.  I am currently keeping that up after surgery. It works fairly well with an occasional  milk of magnesia.  I bought all my personal supplies that I would need for six weeks however I wish I had done it for 12 to 16 weeks. 

Buy shampoo and bath wash in smaller bottles. The bigger bottles are  hard on the surgery. Get a tool that helps you pick things up off the floor. I drop things all the time and I’m home by myself during the day.  Are use it to get washcloths and towels out for myself.  Put things in your kitchen where you can reach them easily like storage containers, cleaning supplies,

I’m not sure how much time you need off work or if you are working. My doctor told me I would need six weeks off but there is no way I can go back in 2  weeks. If I stay up longer than an hour, the pressure starts again or twinges or sharp pains. I have to lay completely on my side to take the pressure off my bottom.  The last thing I want to do is tear up the surgery. 

Leaning over to wash my hands in the sink was difficult until now. So I washed one hand at a time. No leaning over, roll out of bed, no pushing while trying to have a BM. Put a pillow between your knees while you’re sleeping.  Brace before coughing, sneezing, or laughing.

Someone recommended  Sue Croft’s book and I purchase that for my Kindle app. I wish I had read it before my surgery! 

I have noticed differences in recommended post op care from the different countries.  I am from the US using private insurance and have a six week follow up visit. They recommended I started doing pelvic exercises immediately following surgery. That was not a good idea win my bowels were spasming.

Hopefully you have some help with the laundry cooking and cleaning around the house. I still would not even think about driving at this point. I’m not sure I will at six weeks. I will check with my insurance to make sure I am covered when I do start driving. 

Keep in mind that every person recuperates differently.   I discovered Netflix and that kept my mind occupied during the first two weeks! 

Good luck and let us know how you do on the surgery!

• Posted

Dlee thank you for your comprehensive reply. Very useful indeed to me. I take it all on board.

I do hope your recovery continues well take care . X

• Posted

what is Sue Croft's book called? thank you

• Posted

Hi Paddiwhack, yes excellent advice from the

other ladies. Get yourself a pedicure after a few weeks, you can't bend to reach your feet! I too also dropped everything, so borrowed one of those grabby hand things. My partner used to come home and laugh at all the things on the floor before I got one. Only fill the kettle wih one cup of water at a time, and no lifting anymore than that for at least two weeks. Get someone to change your surgical socks too! It's so difficult to ask for help, but to be safe, you have to. Wishing you a speedy recovery and any questions, I'm sure you will find help on here x

• Posted

Doolou thank you for your message. I will deffo buy a helping hand I had no idea you couldn’t bend I was also going to get a bed table and a ring.

I’m lucky my husband is fab. I’m getting meals in the freezer. I am paying for this surgery and do not want  any damage done regarding recovery.

I will be really careful x take care and thank you 

• Posted

You're welcome paddiwhack. Just noticed you said about getting a ring? Do you mean a ring type cushion? If so, I have read that this is a definite no, no. Although it may sound comfortable, it would be bad for your vaginal area to drop down the gap? It will be very uncomfortable to sit, especially in the first couple of weeks, but I found sitting slightly to oneside, and laying down for at least an hour a day, which is part of the recovery for the first couple of weeks at least, is the answer. Hope this helps. Best wishes x

• Posted

Aha ok I hadn’t thought about that. Looks like I’ll be catching up with long forgotten tv programmes 🤣. Thanks v much x

• Posted

Hi everyone, I am also having Rectocele and Cystocele repair plus sacropinous fixation if required in 4 days time so have read with interest and trepidation the advice offered. Is there anyone in the forum who is already 3 months or so post surgery and is now feeling the benefits and now happy that they have had the surgery? I realise I will feel a whole lot worse before I will feel the benefit of the surgery, but hope there is a ray of sunshine out there that if the surgery is successful the pain will be worth it to have a quality of life back ......and I can put the misery of the prolapse behind me. Good luck paddiwhack with your surgery. 
    • Posted

Hi Redhead! I wish you every success with your surgery. That all goes smoothly and you feel the benefit ASAP . Let us know how you get on x
    • Posted

Thank you and will do. Can't sleep with worrying whether I am doing the right thing by undergoing surgery! 

• Posted

Hi again

How are you doing. Sorry I haven’t been on for s bit. I hope you are coping okay?

• Posted

Hi Paddiwhack, thank you for your message.I am 13 days post op and am feeling so much better than I thought I would. I was 3 nights in hospital, had     3 procedures ( posterior & anterior repair plus sacropinious fixation). I was kept pretty much pain free in hospital but a combination of one of the painkillers and becoming anaemic post op made me faint several times, so I was confined to bed with a catheter. However, this sorted itself out quickly with change of painkillers and building up iron count. (Redheads are prone to bleeding out in operations...... Who knew!). I am far more mobile than I thought I would be, but had regular naps during the first week as so exhausted and am now taking only paracetamol and one or two doses of ibuprofen each day. I haven't done any heavy chores but i am able to bend,twist, walk, carry light items etc. Just slowly and carefully....not running up the stairs yet as I would normally do! Had a look down below and was absolutely amazed and delighted to see nothing untoward ......no bruising, swelling,or stitches poking out and best of all no prolapse hanging through. I actually wept with joy as I felt whole again so that in itself has given me confidence and hope. Aside from the prolapses which had taken over my life in the last 6 months or so, I was otherwise relatively fit and healthy, about the right weight, but I am now menopausal and need oestrogen to support vaginal atrophy which contributed to making me vulnerable to prolapse. 

I still find sitting uncomfortable and camp out on the bed if I need to with laptop, phone, paperwork etc but am trying to do a little walk most days and have been a passenger in a car too......the latter being quite challenging and I won't repeat that again too frequently yet! Take care and good luck.

• Posted

Hi Redhead sounds like you’re doing fabulously .

Be careful with bedding it puts a lot of pressure on your pelvic floor! I downloaded by kindle sue crofts book which talks about post op and ongoing care. It was about 6£ the book is 22!  I found it fab. She gives you safe excersises and tips on ‘bracing’ before you do anything.

Your message is very encouraging. I go in in 2 days and am raving against the clock cooking meals, getting invoices and the business needs as up to date as possible! Trying to prep some things for Christmas and have 7 Christmas cakes to make too! Crazy.

Keep getting better but no rushing it Mrs!

Take care and thanks 😊

• Posted

Hi Paddiwhack

Thanks for your note. I took the opportunity yesterday to re read Sue Croft's book on my kindle as I rested yesterday, I had read it before my surgery but since then there have been some pretty strong painkillers and a general anaesthetic.....it is is surprising how much you forget. I understand more about the length of time is takes for the tissues and muscles to heal and I can see as I try to do more it is increasing the bleeding and I paid the price yesterday for having a trip out in the car for a lovely lunch. The car journey back and forth 40 minutes each way  with sitting for lunch for another 2 hours was too much. But it was marvellous to wear something other than leisurewear and be outside! I hope all your food prepping has gone well. I made lots of homemade soup in advance which has worked out well as I felt I needed just light food little and often as I adapted to taking regular pain medication. Good luck with your operation and recovery and let us know how you get on. Do take it easy and look after yourself and let this operation be your best and last. Best wishes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.