Upcoming cystocele and rectocele surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Good evening. I am due to have surgery at the end of the month. From what I have read the first month is probably the most difficult. For those of you who have had surgery is there anything you would recommend that I can prepare for/purchase to male life more comfortable/practical in the first weeks. Thank you in advance. 

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 4-weeks post surgery tomorrow for a rectocele, cestocele, bladder suspension, and vaginal repair. I bought a PikStick 32" and revolves from amazon (you will carry this around like it's your baby!) No bending!! My Dr told me absolutely no lifting anything more than 5 pounds for 3 months. No driving for 4 weeks. Put all my pots and pans on the counter tops for cooking. I can load the top of the dishwasher and my hubs loads the bottem. I bought slip on tennis shoes for walking. He encourages me to take short walks all day. Sleeping in my bed at night and and napping on the sofa or recliner. Showers only for first week and after that soaking in the tub once a day for 15 min then showering. Use hand help shower if yiubhave one to spray you vagina and using a squeeze peri bottle when using the bathroom just to feel clean. I wore medium bass for he first week and now I wear thin liners. You will have discharge for a couple of months. My dr said my stitches will not dissolve for a couple of months. He will release me for intercourse once the stitches are gone and the tissue is healed (poor hubs!) buy small containers of detergent and softners and leave on top of the washer/dryer. Buy everything a head of time. I've been on merilax twice a day beginning 2 months before surgery and will continue for another couple months. I add it to what ever I'm drinking and it has no taste. Eat a pear with skin everyday for the fiber. I'm still doing that as well. I have not done any house work other than putting dishes in the dishwasher and light laundry. You have to take each piece out of the washer one at a time and put in the dryer. I started laundry my 3rd week. But very light. Put pet supplies where you don't have to bend to reach them. Place everything you use on the top shelve of your fridge.  I bought baby wipes to keep by the toilet bc after you wipe with toilet paper it cleans you much better. I know this is a lot of info and I hope it helps😃 If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I just went for my 3 week check up and everything was looking good and I can start driving again Tuesday (thankfully)  my dr didn't want me sitting on a inflatable bc it pits to much pressure on the repair area. He recommend soft pillows. I have to drink 2 liters of water per day. Yikes! I hope this helps. Many blessings to you!🙏??

• Posted

Hi Trudy

Thanks so much for all this info. I’m beginning to feel nervous of this surgery and and a little concerned about restrictions regarding recovery. Your comments are really helpful. Wishing you a trouble free and speedy recovery 

Xx

• Posted

Hi, just want to say it's really been okay. The first couple of days after surgery was a little painful but not bad as long as you take your meds. I quit taking the pain meds after four days and just took Tylenol bc I wasn't really hurting. It's really a very easy surgery and you will feel like you can do everything but you have to just be careful. I was walking up and down the sidewalk on day 2 after surgery which is encouraged (light walking not fast.) I was very sceptical before surgery as well. One thing that really helped me with building strong tissue for the stitches was the getting the Mona Lisa Touch treatments. It did SO MUCH GOOD FOR ME.  Did you have that done? Thank you so much. 

• Posted

Hi again

Thank you. I feel better now! 3 days till op. Loads of meals in the freezer In Throw away containers.

No I haven’t had any treatment but have been reading as much as possible and will just listen to my body. I hope you’re doing well still take care x

• Posted

Hi, it's a procedure that builds tissue inside the vagina and it helps with symptoms of menopause. It helped so much to build the tissue in my vagina so my dr would have a good foundation for stitching.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link as users can easily find the information using a search engine rather than linking to a specific website. If users want the specific link use the Private Message service to exchange.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

yes I would like the link to this it sounds very good. I went to see a consultant today and have surgery scheduled for july next year! so maybe I have time to do this? Thank you. How do i private message you?
    • Posted

Hi, click on the little envelope right next to your name to private message. You can google Mona Lisa Touch Treatment and it will give you the link. Glad to hear you scheduled your surgery. So now you have a long time to prepare. Another thing my dr requested I do before surgery was Pelvic floor physical therapy. I did  that for 6 months before surgery and it really helped to prepare the muscles for surgery. I know this all sounds so overwhelming but it was really wasn't. Take care and message me anytime. 😃

• Posted

HI

Good luck with your op - I am due to have the same at the end of the month - and very nervous about the recovery - especially as I am a mum to 2 young children!!! I look forward to your updates over the coming weeks! Wishing you well. M

• Posted

Hi  thanks I will keep you updated on my progress. I hope you have  support with your care of your children!  How old are they?

Talk soon. One day to go and counting. Need to cook my Christmas cakes tomorrow! 

• Posted

Good morning. Sounds like you have really been preparing! Is your surgery today? I hope you have a smooth surgery problem free of course! Are you in the USA? 
    • Posted

Hi.  Hope the op went well? How are you feeling? Not too much pain I hope x
  • Posted

Hi Maximo and Trudy

I had my op on 3rd and came home on 4th. I’m taking things very slowly and a bit bored but .... it was such s relief I feel great compared to my anticipated immediate post op period.

I have had no stinging or problems passing urine. I had a bowel movement which posed no discomfort yesterday and today. I am taking ibuprofen 600mg three times daily and lactulose 15mls twice daily.

Blood loss was fairly heavy for the first two days now very light. 

My surgeon repaired a moderate cystocele a grade II rectocele and refashioned and strengthened my perineum.

I feel very confident it has been successful.

He also prescribed anti inflammatory sachets to dissolve in water and apply direct to the perineal area. I don’t have a bidet so I sit on the loo and gently pour the solution from a bottle over affected area. It’s called

Rosalgin 500mg specifically for vaginal use.

My check up is next Friday 7 days post op.

I feel so much more comfortable than I imagined. But I am very tired and I’m resting and being extremely careful.

Good luck ladies 

• Posted

Hi, so glad to hear you're doing well! It gets better each day! I know the hot baths (during the 2ndweek post-op) helped me.  So rest rest rest and little walks in between. I'm 7 weeks post-op now and feel so much better. My dr said  the most important thing to remember is no lifting anything over five pounds for three months.  Stay strong and let us know how you're progressing. Hugs!

• Posted

Thanks Trudy. Today I’m beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable. I think there’s a bit of inflammation and I can feel the stitches more.

I forgot to say I am in Spain.

The thought of a nice warm bath sounds great 😀

• Posted

Hi again. I had so many stitches. I felt them for at least the first 3 weeks. They finally just dissolved at 6 weeks.  My dr did say the stitches may be annoying for a few weeks. But like I said once you can start soaking in warm water for about 15 min each time it helps with softening the stitches some. Did your dr say you can start soaking at week 2? I could only shower the first week. Hope you feel better soon! 😃

• Posted

Thanks Trudy. No my surgeon hasn’t said I can bath I’m just hoping lol. I have my one week review tomorrow. Today I fear I may have a bit of infection as I  have a feint odour which was not there before! Damn!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.