Upcoming cystocele and rectocele surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Good evening. I am due to have surgery at the end of the month. From what I have read the first month is probably the most difficult. For those of you who have had surgery is there anything you would recommend that I can prepare for/purchase to male life more comfortable/practical in the first weeks. Thank you in advance. 

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello ladies,

I am 4 days post op for anterior and posterior repair and so tender down below I have looked and it’s quite black with bruising and still bleeding. Quite a bit. 

I still have not passed a bowel movement and I have had a shower but wonder if I can have a quick bath maybe some tea tree and sea salt in for healing? 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

I’m sorry you are so bruised. I don’t think this is uncommon and to bleed like a period initially is very normal, then reducing to a more brown old blood discharge.

I believe a bath is not recommended initially due to the risk of infection.

My consultant gave me s prescription for granules to dissolve in water and bidet soak - they are anti inflammatory and I don’t have a bidet so I fill a plastic bottle with tepid water 1 litre and sit on the loo, lean back gently and put the solution across my perineal area then dry with a hair dryer.   It is called Rosalgin 500mg

I think it’s important to speak with your consultant or his/her secretary for advice. I am also taking ibuprofen 600mg 3x every 24 hrs.

If you can’t access your surgeon see if you can have a telephone consult with your go if you are not up to going to your surgery.

As for your bowels it’s really important to not have constipation.

I am taking  lactulose 15mls twice a day and that is enabling me to pass a stool easily and comfortably every morning either once or twice.

Try to walk a little. Drink plenty of fluids and try to eat fruit, fibre, veg and a generally varied diet as all this helps.

I really hope you feel more comfortable soon. Please get some drs advice 💜

• Posted

Hi Jennifer. I'm taking Merilax in the morning and evening. It works great! It's a stool softener and it a powder yiu add to what ever you drink. It has no flavor so you don't taste it at all. Also, my dr said if I didn't have a bowel movement in the first 2 days to use a glicerin suppository.  You should contact your dr first. I had some brusing too and was very tender. Rest and small slow walks. I hope you feel better soon! 

• Posted

I’m so glad I found this thread!  I am contemplating a rectocele procedure at the same time as a hemorrhoidectomy and a skin tag removal.  The original consult with my OB/GYN implied the rectocele procedure is no big deal and I could go back to work almost immediately with no hospital stay.  I now know to ask ALOT more questions! She initially didn’t feel doing both procedures at the same time was safe but consulted with her colleagues and they felt it would be safe since being put under twice was more of a risk.  I live in the US and wonder if your health care is more on the conservative side (which I prefer).  Any advice on questions I should ask would be much appreciated.  Glad everyone is healing well.  Take care ??

• Posted

I had a PPH surgery for prolapsed hemorrhoids (stapled hemorrhoidectomy), which is when the surgeon discovered I needed a rectocele repair (posterior only). The PPH surgery was extremely painful for me, but not so with the rectocele repair.  I had to spend a lot of time taking epsom salt baths after the PPH.  I hope you don't have the pain from your hemorrhoid surgery that I did, but it was really bad the first two weeks, especially with bowel movements. Both of my surgeries were performed in an outpatient surgery center in the US.

I would not recommend you back to work right away after the rectocele, if you decide to have that surgery separately, and definitely not after the hemorrhoidectomy. You will probably be very tired, especially the first week.

Here are the things I learned about rectocele repair that  I could not find anywhere online:  The bleeding continued for almost a month and lightened only after the third week  The surgeon described it like a dripping faucet, which was definitely the case.  He said I could use tampons a week after the surgery (and post op check), which really helped.  I stuck with walking for 6 weeks  - no running or lifting of weights.  I did not lift over about 7 pounds for the first two weeks. I was able to travel at 2 weeks post op, but did not carry or lift my own suitcase. I had a stitch near the front that did not dissolve and I had to get it removed by the surgeon after 5 weeks. Hope these tips help!

• Posted

Wow, tampons after a week! I had an anterior and posterior repair and wouldn't have even dared touch the area for weeks. 

• Posted

Hi Ladies. Little update - today I had my 7 day post op check up. I was concerned yesterday I may have an infection. Detected a feint odour, which was absent today.

After an hours drive laying on the back seat. Still can’t sit! Surgeon pleased with progress. I asked about bathing and he suggested not yet as moist  environment is great for harbouring bacteria so I go with his advice. Back in two weeks. Sutures beginni g to itch. 

I came home and slept solid for five hrs ! I was shattered, still am.

But I do feel much better than I thought I would and seeing surgeon makes me feel more confident and reassured. And he’s prescribed HRT - heavenly. I can’t wait to get rid of some of these menopausal symptoms of four years.

Have a good weekend everyone and don’t over do it! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.