Upcoming Cystoscopy - HELP!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have an upcoming cystoscopy scheduled on the Thursday this week. It was ordered by the uro-gynecologist that I visited last week for my recurrent UTI. I'm currently having a UTI and taking abx for it.

My question is, is it ok to have a cystoscopy done when I'm having a current UTI. Will I be putting myself at a potential risk of getting another UTI after the procedure. I don't want to go through another bout of UTI again if this one gets resolved with the current Abx.

Any suggestions and advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My understanding is that a person should not get a Cysto while infected.  However, to get one while on an antibiotic, then I don't know.

I have read that just getting a Cysto can result in a infection that requires antibiotics.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, Marilee! Ughhhh.... I don't know what to do now 😔

I might as well wait for a while till my infection clears up. I really don't want another infection...🙁

• Posted

I am constantly infected and now on prophylactic abx.  Once my urologist want to draw the urine with a catheter to get a pure sample,  The draw didn't hurt, but afterwards I was in big time pain.  I think anytime they invade that area it only stands to reason you risk infection.

It's a difficult decision.  I had the U/S and the CT Urogram and nothing showed up.  In my case, I am not willing to get the Cysto because I don't think they will find anything.  Just my non-medical opinion.

Have you ask this question to your doctor?  Maybe getting one while on antibiotics is better than getting one once your UTI clears up.

• Posted

Honestly, even I'm on the fence with the cystoscopy. I want to see if this course of abx will clear up the infection, and wait for a couple of months to see if the infection comes back. If it does then I don't have a choice but to get the cystoscopy done. It is an invasive procedure and worries me.

I was just reading up on cystoscopy risks and it said that antibiotics prior to cystoscopy poses a risk for a UTI after the procedure. I'm confused 🙁😳

• Posted

Hi I had one about 6 months ago and I took some AB's after it to stop getting an infection and you can request this but you should not have it until you're infection free, they did a urine test before I went in for it.I had one too for reoccurring uti's, don't want to put a downer on it but I don't know anyone who has had one because of reoccurring Utis and actually got an answer, usually says everything looks 'normal' yet this still occur.

Good luck!

• Posted

Yes Rebecca.  I have been struggling with uti since 10/5/16 when I got my very first one ever.  Since then, I have googled to death searching for answers, reading research articles, and posts on chat health boards.  What I've found are many many women suffering with recurring uti's.  Some have had multiple cystos, nothing found.  Others have been on all antibiotics and still can't knock out the uti.

Lak, I read just the opposite.  I read it is ok to do it while infected and on antibiotics.  Here's the thing...not to sound pompous, but I don't even trust doctors anymore.  I do my own research, and even that is not infallible.  You just have to read, ask and draw your own conclusion.

I got coerced into getting the CT-Urogram (lots of radiation) when I felt it was unnecessary.  Not a thing was found.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, rebecca. That is discouraging to know that the cystoscopy doesn't help much with the recurrent UTI. And it is an invasive procedure. My urethra is very sensitive, and I dread that inserting any type of object in there is going to be very painful afterwards. I'm so frustrated with my recurrent infections. Part of it was my own doing. I didn't go to the doctor soon enough after the 3rd infection in 3 months. The symptoms were on and off, and I let it go on for too long I suppose 😔

• Posted

Everything is so confusing 😕 I agree with you on trusting doctors. I lost my trust in them long time ago. There's little compassion left in medical professional these days, although some are slightly better than the others. I mostly go to doctors as a last resort. The reason I waited too long with my recurrent UTI is because I don't like going to doctors. I know that was a mistake but what can I do. My trust in them has completely eroded over the years 😔

• Posted

Hi there,

A friend of mine had one done and she was given an antibiotic after the test to avoid any infections from having it done...it was just one pill though.  Does your doctor know that you have a current infection?  I know people are not allowed to have any surgerys done if there is an infection somewhere in the body, but I am not sure about this type od test.  I would talk to your doctor and let them know your concerns, maybe they can hold off until the infection has cleared up and reschedule to make you feel more at ease.  

• Posted

Thanks, Linda. I'm going to call up the doctor's place and check with them about it. I'm sitting on the fence about whether to get the procedure done, or not. We'll see what happens.

• Posted

Good idea!  I am a firm believer in instincts, and going with what your gut tell you.  My urologist never ordered one which I thought for sure he would, but I had no blood in urine, and no leakage. However if you have chronic infections they like to make sure that there isn't anything going on inside the bladder to cause it.  A lot of the times it is hormonal, or PH levels are off, bacteria gets in and breeds.  I would start taking probiotics and also a vaginal probiotic to make sure that the PH levels stay in tact.  There are a list of preventative measures and if you are still getting them then definately get the test done.

• Posted

Can you please tell me what vaginal probiotics you take. It looks like I'm also starting a yeast infection now. There's redness inside the vulva and some itching.

Right now I'm drinking a probiotic drink with 60 billion cfu, everyday. Is that enough? And what probiotic would you recommend if drinking the yogurt alone isn't enough. Thank you!

• Posted

It is possible, antibiotics kill all the good bacteria creating a yeast infections.  Pharmacists are supposed to warn patients of this when taking an antibiotic.  I use HMF Candigen it is a 7 day treatment.  I take them now as a preventative, so right after my monthly I do a few nights of this to get the PH back on track.
    • Posted

Thank you, Linda! I'm going to order the HMF candigen right away. I'm also thinking of doing some barley water. My mom used to let me drink them when I was a kid for digestive issues. I'm feeling so frustrated at this point. I hope the doctors do something to help us women who are unfortunate to go through this horrible condition sad

• Posted

That Candigen stuff is a topical for the exterior.  How is that going to help with internal problems.  I uses a probiotic suppository.  Can't say the name here because mods don't allow it.

• Posted

Hi Marilee.......there are two topical and vaginal suppository.  I am not sure if you are aware, but a lot of the times UTI's are caused from unbalanced flora the bacteria making and overgrowth that gets into the bladder.  Often times you read women who take the precautions and clean themselves to the point that the flora become onbalanced.  Your vagina and bladderneed to be acidic to ward off infections.  I actually have used both....and your right the vaginal supository will not cure a UTI, but it will prevent it if taken used properly.  I add this into my preventative measures and the urologist and doctors and natural path all were the ones that told me the benefits of it.  I am sorry it doesn't work for you.  

• Posted

Hi Linda.  Yes, I understand that the vaginal flora gets disrupted while on antibiotics (and other reasons).  That's why I used the vaginal probiotic (along with an oral one) to replace the beneficial flora.  When I googled the product you recommended, I did not see a suppository; only cream to spread on the outside.  I'm only questioning how that would help balance flora inside the vagina.  

Yes, prior to educating myself, I was one to be obsessive about cleaning myself down there.  Not anymore; no soap.  Just water.  I'm menopausal so I don't have a lot of issues down there that young women (with periods) and sexually active women have.  Then, more thorough cleaning is necessary.

• Posted

Right.  Yes the HMF comes in a cream and suppositories.  Both work well together.  I use both at different times.  I am peri menopausal and estrogen is low so that is how all my issues started.  The lady area is dependent on estrogen and when it decreases the skin thins out and makes one more prone as well.  I am doing every preventative measure I can for two reasons, one I can't seem to tolerate a full dose of antibiotics, and 2 I don't want to depend on them and mess up my system....years ago I got c-diff from being a prescribed an antibiotic that I didn't need....since then I am very cautious about taking them unless absolutely neccesary...so I choose to do the preventative.  smile  These probiotics have worked wonders among all the other things I do. smile

• Posted

I'm on estrogen cream so I've got that base covered.  Oh my, C-Diff is a huge worry for me being on prophylactic antibiotic.  I have no other choice.

What happens when you take antibiotics that you can't tolerate and which one caused you the C-diff?

I don't have any side effects much from antibiotics.  The Bactrim (sulfa) kills my appetite, but I have not had any intestinal issue whatsoever on antibiotics (yet).  Thank God.

• Posted

I used to be able to tolerate pretty much any antibiotic until a few years ago.  Bactrim was always prescribed to me for UTI and never had an issue, but the last time I had it is caused me crazy itching and short of breath, I only got to day three and had to stop.  Somehow I have developed either an allergy or intolerance to them (all families it seems).  I am getting my allergies tested for them in a couple months (I have been waiting a year).  If it shows I have allergies they will work on desenitizing me, if I don't show an allergy then we have to look into what is causing me to react to them.  The one I got C-diff from was cephalxen.....that was the worst experience from taking an antibiotic...it was prescribed to me because I was breat feeding at the time (9 years ago), and they were worried I was coming down with mastitis....but it turned out the be a clogged milk duct...so I was taking them and didn't need them.....Now that I see what antiiotics can do to a person I want to make sure it is neccessary for me or my children to take them as they come with their own risks.  I do hope though we can come up with the cause in case somewhere down the line I have to have them....hopefully not!  But it is not a good feeling knowing that I may be out of luck if I need an antibiotic.

• Posted

Cephalexen is a Cephalosporin.  So is Cefuroxime (Ceftin) which is what I now take.  All broad spectrum antibiotics can cause C-Diff.

Can you not take Macrobid or Cipro either?  I'm assuming you don't have a UTI at present.  What will you take if you get one?

When you were taking Cephalexin, were you also taking a probiotic?

I have ready many of the user reports on all antibiotics.  It's amazing how many different and terrible reactions people have to all of them, and yet other people have none.

• Posted

Oh Linda I'm sorry you had to suffer through c- diff. That's an awful infection to get through. I always dread about c-diff when I take antibiotics. I have taken 3 different antibiotics in the last 5 months for my recurring UTI. And i constantly worry about c diff. I drink lots of probiotic drinks when I take antibiotics. But I have never done vaginal probiotics. This will be my first time. I have ordered the HMF topical cream. I'll start applying as soon as I get it.

I hope they find what's causing the allergic reaction in you. You have to have some backup if you need antibiotics in future. It's important. Good luck with your allergy testing.

• Posted

Marilee, are you taking prophylactic abx for your recurrent UTI? I'm also currently on Cefdinir which is a cephalosporin.

Now a days I don't read the warnings that come with abx. They are so scary that I probably will stop taking them for all the anxiety caused by the warnings. I just simply go through the motions of finishing the course of abx and wait in dread for anything bad to happen 😔

• Posted

Yes, I used to be one of those people that would get very little issues taking them I could take any type and the only thing I recall is one made a weird taste in my mouth.  It has been since 2011 when I started getting rashes or itching or short of breath...I am not sure if it is the perimenopause throwing my body out of whack but it has been a nightmare.  I had a UTI last year and I was only able to take a three day course and it seemed to have cleared things up, then in the fall I had UTI symptoms and WBC...we tried all the antibiotics that would cover it but I could only take a couple days of it....so I started researching and had to heal it alternatively costing a lot of money, now I am doing every measure I can to prevent one from occuring because of my situation.  At the time I had the c-diff, I was not taking a probiotic, no docor or pharacist told me too....now I take one daily to make sure my flora is in balance, plus I drink keiffer and do probiotic vaginally.  
    • Posted

Yes, lak, I take one 250mg Cefuroxime every day.  I've been doing that for two months now.  If I stop taking an antibiotic, in 3 days, my infection comes back.  I think some bacteria are always left behind and then start multiplying immediately.  I've been through three different Urologists.  My next stop will be with an Infectious Disease doctor at the end of the month, but I'm not optimistic he'll be of any help.

I don't read the tiny print, but I research EXTENSIVELY everything.  I've spent most of my day for the last 6 months researching every associated with UTI and antibiotics.

If I get C-Diff, then I'll just have to deal with it, as I have no alternative.  I think a lot of women, like Linda, are able to get buy with the natural treatments but not all of us.

• Posted

Marilee, I'm so sorry you are going through all this sad Hugs, sister in suffering.

I dread the same that my UTI will come back after this course of abx, and that I might have to take the prophylactic. But I understand and accept that it is what it is, and there's only so much I can do about it 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.