Upcoming surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am new to this group I have had this for as long as I can remember and I am tired of it.  It is so bad now I am having surgery in 1.5 weeks under my right arm.  I have a general surgeon and plastic surgeon doing the operation together.  I am scared.  Maybe I should not have looked at videos and photos of before during and after photos.  I already have a issue with me and now I feel like I will never be able to wear anything without sleeves again - havent all summer - any advice would be great

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey, it's definitely scary. I had the same surgery in the right arm and then we did the left side a few months later. You having a plastic surgeon is a great idea. The only recommendation that I would have is to go to a wound care Center afterwards for the healing process. They have access to stuff the surgeons and doctors don't know about to promote healing and minimal pain. My area wouldn't heal so the only thing that worked is prisma and hydrofera blue dressing. If your area doesn't heal as fast as ur doctors like def bring these up. Prisma dissolves on the wound so no painful pulling and packing. And hydrofera starts as blue and turns white when it needs to be changed. I changed mine two to three times a week which is alot better than packing and changing dressings three times a day. When removing just add saline and it comes right off. At the wound clinic if they have to debride the wound tell them to put lidocaine gel and leave on for 8-10 minutes and it will be so numb u will not feel it. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Don't be super scared because the cases you see online are the really bad cases. Just let the surgeons do their job and request a great wound clinic. Do your research and pick the best in your area. Check the reviews.

• Posted

I have been suffering with HS for 3 years. I am having surgery in 6 days under both arms at the same time. I am nervous, but ready. I have watched the videos too and yes it looks painful. Good luck to us!!!
    • Posted

Let me know if you have any question ladies. This surgery works. I haven't had a bump in my underarm ever since. It's totally worth it!!

• Posted

How was it the first few days after the surgery? I have my surgery on the 30th. I have no clue what to expect?
    • Posted

Well I'm not going to lie, it hurts and sometimes it could take a long time to heal. However, ur surgeon will give you some meds to keep you comfortable. Take them and make sure to rest and let the meds work.. just try and relax. I will stress to try and see if u could get to the wound clinic if possible as soon as u can. They will be able to help the healing process alot better than a surgeon. Here's a way of looking at it. Surgeons operate on people asleep.. they aren't the gentlest people. Wound care experts help people awake who r in pain and discomfort. They are alot gentler and have techniques that work better and are less painful. I went a year with opened wounds because I saw the surgeon most of the time. As soon as I went to the wound clinic my wounds healed and it wasn't as painful. I could live a normal life while going to wound clinic because I felt better. Surgeons use the packing method and they use gauze that hurt the wounds and irritate them every time you change them. The wound clinic gave me dressing that dissolves on its own so u don't have to pull off a dressing that sticks to the wound. My only regret is not going to the clinic sooner. I went thru a lot of unnecessary pain and I log on these blogs and try to help people so they don't have to go thru what I went thru. Unnecessary pain. After the surgery you will have pain like any other surgery. However, shortening the healing time is crucial for the least pain and the fastest recovery. I hope this information helps you ladies. Keep us all updated. I'm here if you guys have any questions.

Oh and I would ask your surgeon for a script for a liter of saline with refills. Pour saline when removing any type of dressing unless otherwise instructed. It helps remove it easier.

• Posted

Even though the saline isn't covered by insurance you can use your hsa card and it's cheaper than over the counter one. Also easier to pour because over the counter saline you can only spray on. Pouring is gentler feeling.

• Posted

I am having surgery on both arms on the 30th, we will be fine. I am just ready for this to be over with. Good luck and keep us updated when you can.
    • Posted

My surgery is on the 16th, which is in 6 days. I am having it done on both arms too.
    • Posted

How are you doing girl? Let me know if u have any questions.. praying for a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Will the wound be closed using skin grafts or skin flaps? Or perhaps left opened?
    • Posted

Mine was closed but it opened back up. They tried then skin graft in another surgery. That failed so they left it opened after. I had a wound vac for a while. That didn't work. Then I went to a wound clinic and I healed. I'm so thankful for them. I should have gone sooner.

• Posted

You endured a horrible time. I had to go to a wound clinic twice a week and wear a wound vac after having my child via c-section.
    • Posted

It was horrible for sure. I wish I would have gone to wound clinic sooner. But oh well, now I have all this advice to give to everyone because I've tried it all lol

• Posted

I really do appreciate the advice. My surgeon is not going to use skin grafts, so how will the wound be sutured? What I am basically asking you is how your incisiob was closed? I have heard of a primary closure and skin flaps, but I do not know much about the primary closure and how it is closed.
    • Posted

He just stitched it back up initially. Idk the technique used. They just stitched it up like any surgery and then it opened so then they did the skin graft which also failed. Then they just left it open to heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.