Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

It's about a month after TKR. I've been in PT for 2 week now. I'm doing great. I really like the exercise bike, and leg press machine. My current bend is 120 degrees. Still working on strengthening , but ROM is good. I also need to work on walking smoother. Still using walker. The biggest thing holding me back is swelling.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Roger glad to hear you’re doing so well. Keep icing and elevating to keep swelling down

Keep up the good work 😊

• Posted

I get more swelling just standing 5 minutes on my feet. I do ice and elevate, but , not helping too much. Maybe the fact that I'm only 4 weeks after surgery, is the reason I swell so easy.

• Posted

"Maybe the fact that I'm only 4 weeks after surgery..."  BINGO!!!  You're expecting waaaaaay too much at 4 weeks.  I was in bed drooling all over my pajamas.  In TKRville, there are no timetables.  It's all very Zen: "The knee will be better when it's better."  That's it.  You cannot push a knee to recovery.  When you do it bites back hard...pain, swelling, etc.

I did 8,200+ steps on my fit bit 5-weeks post-op and paid dearly for my arrogance.  Balloon knee for three days.  Gotta listen to and respect the knee plus give up any expectations or time frames you have in your head.  They just get in the way of focusing on your recovery.  This whole thing takes a year.  Accept it...own it.  All you have is time, work and patience.  This is what a recovery looks like...post it on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

Advances, setbacks, plateaus...all part of the journey.  At 2 years post-op, I can tell you that it was all worth it.  Got smacked down that one time and learned my lesson.

• Posted

Glad to hear you’re doing well! I hate swelling too. I am 7 months today and still have swelling issues <sigh> but hang in there many more improvements for you and hopefully for me still lie ahead smile Best wishes 

• Posted

Way to go. You are progressing well. Swelling will decrease with time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.