UPDATE: 7 week post op Check up - SSF, Anterior & Posterior repair

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all

So I had my 7 week post op check up with my consultant and he said all was healing well. Most of my external stitches are now gone but I still have an internal stitch which is still causing discharge.  He gave me a prescription to help with the discharge (which I have subsequently lost!).  He has signed me off work for 2 more weeks which is good as I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now!  I did mention some concerns....

1) The lump!  So I can see a lump at the entrance of my vagina  - i was concerned this was my cervix.  He assured me that is wasn't and that my cervix is 'miles up' (in his words!).  He said this was my back wall and I could see the stitch.  He said I would probably always see this and thats just the way its healed.  This was rather dissapointing but he said it shouldn't affect anything.... Anyone else have any experience on seeing your 'back wall'?

2)  Pain down my leg - This apparantley is from the stitch from my SSF  -this will continue to be a present intermittently for a few weeks  - he told me to listen to my body and not over do it

3) Exercise - Apparantly I can go back to light exercise now!  Very light.  I asked when I can play tennis again - he said best to wait for the 3 month mark.   This is good as I am now like a new born baby with no muscles.  I picked up the dust buster hoover yesterday and bent over to hoover the carpet after the kids had made a mess.  Today I feel like I've been squatting in the gym as my glute muscles are so sore and I mean the post-gym kind of sore!!! 

3) back to work.  He said another 2 weeks to be on the safe side,  and then a phased returrn - no going in during rush hour....well that suits me fine!!

4) Discharge - this will continue for a while.  The internal stitch won't heal until atleast the 3 month stage (around mid may) - this is annoying as wearing a pad is really uncomfortabel, the friction some nights is unbearable! He did give me a prescription (can't rememeber the name of the drug) which I have lost  - annoyingly! 

5) A bath. I can now have a bath. I've had a bath. It was bliss....smile

I hope the above helps some of you!  There is light at the end of the tunnel (and my tunnel is now narrower smile  

K x  

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I still have discharge 6 wks 3 days and have been told I don't need a post operation check so have found your post usefull, thanks. I'm signed off work for another 3 weeks, I will see how I am feeling at that time and decide if I return to work or extend the sick note. My GP has been issuing them over the telephone.
  • Posted

Thanks for your responses. On the exercise note my consultant said that I can start light exercise now, including running, but he did warn me it would probably hurt.

When I mentioned tennis, he did say to wait until the 3 month mark as this is slightly higher impact.  I will probably just try hitting the ball over the net in a standing position - even it is just to build up by arm strenght again!    I have been referred to a physiotherapist and my first appointment is next thursday.  He referred me after I

asked when I should start pelvic floor exercises and he said right away and referred me to a physio who works with post op cases with him (My consultant really is excellent!).

I will keep you all posted after I have seen the physio!

Kx

btw Matron - Without you on this site, I wouldn't have been able to get through the last few weeks - so HUGE thank you to you!!!

Kegel8Stephanie - thanks for the advice - I have seen the Australian Youtube videos and it all looks very low impact which I think is fine until I have built my pelvic floor.  I used to be extremely gym active, often lifting very heavy weights.  I know I would never be able to do that again sadly, but I am planning to really build my pelvic floor so that I can go back to some higher impact exercise.  What would you recommend? I do plan to go back to body weight strength training, spin classes and tennis.  Will I ever be able to do HIIT training again?

Kx 

• Posted

Hi KJ 

Take it steady, build your strength and see what your Physio says, they are in the best position to advise you and help to maximise your posture and measure the strength in your pelvic floor that will have real benefits for you.. As for HIIT taining, I just dont know your Physio will be able to offer guidance. Good luck, your positive attitude and determination for a stronger pelvic floor means that you will get the best possible outcomes from your surgery I am sure. We meet a lot of the POGP Physiotherapists at presentations and study days around the UK, what an amazing band of women and men they are, keen to learn new ways to help their patients and share their knowledge on a worldwide basis, it is so refreshing to see all the background work that is being done with pelvic floor pain, prolpase and pelvic rehabilitation etc - truly refreshing..

Keep strong K.

S

• Posted

Great to see a postive post, thank you so much going through a tough time with pain in bottom area following Post op checkup and feeling quite low before reading this. Well done you and hope all continues to go well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.