UPDATE, EXTERNAL FIXATION REMOVAL

Posted , 3 users are following.

PREVIOUS POST:

I am so happy that the big monster (external fixator) will be off on the 25th of april!

I've had it on since the day of the car accident which was 21st feb.

It's been hard to learn that I can't over plan things; and I need to take life as it comes.

I've also realised that I am so lucky to have the family I do have. And I will NEVER take my leg for granted again. 

I will be honest, I've had days where I didn't want to get up out of bed. I've cried and struggled and had endless days where I think - what's the point!? but there is a point! You have to keep going! not only for myself but for my family and my pets. I need to make the best of the situation and come out the other end (hopefully) being able to work comfortably. And if not... then I will deal with it. There is literally always a way! 

DO NOT GIVE UP!

UPDATE:

I went to the hospital as arranged, I have to be chair lifted from the house to the roadside, because we have steps and obviously i am nwb, then we ride in the ambulance and get to the orthopaedics department. I go for several xrays, wait an hour or two and then the surgeon comes in to tell me that it wont be happening today (taking the fiaxtor off) because he's busy with a trauma list, fair enough, but he could of called me and told me that there was no way i would be getting the external fixator off today. so annoying. i was going to be put to sleep whilst they did it as last time i had a huge panic attack, when they tried to do stuff to it awake. so i had everything ready and told my family etc what was ganna happen. but nope... they go and tell me i have to wait another month

20th may is the next date... let's see if they keep it this time! sad 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Katie

That is really bad to have had such a stressful hospital,visit for nothing. Legs crossed for better fortune next time. All the waiting gets one down.

I've been waiting to resolve problems with an ankle replacement that only lasted four years and a hip that failed after twenty years. The hip failed whilst waiting for the ankle job on the other side but now the hip has to be done first. Booked in for May 18th thank goodness....then as soon as I've recovered off for the ankle!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard, so sorry for super late reply! 

thank you for your kind words! it means a lot.

I'm glad to hear that your ankle is all recovered, how are you doing since the op for your hip? 

hope you're well! 

thanks katie smile

• Posted

Dear Katie

Thanks for your post. Please let us know how you are doing...... you deserve a break.

For me I've had a difficult time because in the passenger ambulance home I was thrown only the floor due to no time to strap myself in and not checked before the driver drove off whilst making a sharp turn.

X rays seemed to show that I had sustained a cracked pelvis so the surgeon insisted five weeks of non weight bearing so I could not get on with my recovery....so frustrating as the delay meant the ankle repair had to wait.

I've now been walking on my revised hip for nearly six weeks and am walking strongly without any aids and go to see the ankle surgeon on August 10th. so am very apprehensive as to what the options might be.

Being realistic I see very difficult choices in few good options. I must be thankful however as despite the big setback with the hip it is in good to support me with the ankle job!

Best wishes. Richard

• Posted

oh my that's terrible!! can't you report the ambulance people or even get compensation for it? i cant believe the way they drive sometimes. did you sustain those injuries due to the ambulance transport? id contact the hospital and make them aware..

im so sorry to hear that you've had a rough time.

all the best for the ankle appointment on 10th aug!! not too long to wait. Hopefully things will look up for you soon.

are you still in pain with the cracked pelvis? has it all healed properly? it's good that you can walk around now its still not easy i imagine.

ive just posted an update in the discussions if you want to have a read 

• Posted

Dear Katie

Thanks for your concern. The accident was reported by the ambulance driver and I'm making a claim to at least cover the at home care I had to pay out for in getting me an evening meal each day.

Actually apart from the severe bruising on top of the bruising from the hip surgery I was soon over the pain. X rays on June 19th did nit show any crack to my pelvis so either hit mended or it was miss observed.

Katie I cannot see an update that actually says how you are unless the update that mentions a hospital appointment due on May 29th.

All the best. Richard

• Posted

Dear Katie

Thanks for your encouragement regarding the accident claim. It is now in the hands of my local solicitors and I understand that it can take many months to reach a settlement so I will just forget about it until it happens.

Thank you for the link to the posting that I missed. Golly you have had a really tough time of it and still struggling. It is such a relief to get back some mobility and that drives us on.

I wish you steadily reducing pain and greatly improved walking ability...got to be able to keep up with your four legged friend!

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.