Update on progress and Sharp pains in knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am almost 6 weeks out and have experience severe burning nerve pain until the doctor put me on Neurontin. After the first pill I experienced no  burning nerve pain.  That has given me my life back to a certain extent. I am off of hydrocodone and only take an 800 ibuprofen in the morning. I still have sensitive nerve pain when different materials touch the knee but that is not real bad. I am glad for the warm weather and I can still wear shorts. I find silky type Pjs help with sleeping. The sheets can't touch the knee. Not sure what I will wear when the weather gets cooler. Maybe I'll throw on a lidocaine patchsmile I have a lot of those leftover from foot surgery I had. I still have a lot of stiffness which keeps me from achieving more bend. I am told that will take a long time ( like 6 months)to subside. ( bummer).

Now my new problem is a sharp pain in my knee when I walk. I noticed it a lot as I was cooking dinner last night. Every time I put pressure on my leg pain would shoot in my knee. Has anyone else experienced a sharp pain in the knee when putting pressure on the leg? What if anything can you do about it?

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

knee needs checking out for possible meniscus tear.
    • Posted

I thought when you do a tkr they take out all the ligaments
    • Posted

This has happened before. It was not made clear wheich knee the pain was being experienced in.

t sounded as though it was the knee that had not been operated on. What do you think the new pain may be due to Fadi?

Jean

• Posted

It is only the bone they take out.  How else is your (new) knee going to function
    • Posted

I understand that they remove the ACL and sometimes the PCL, leaving the lateral and medial for stability. Functionality is mainly down to tendons, rather than ligaments since ligaments are mostly to do with stability (and the prosthesis is fairly stable on its own) and tendons are all about movement.

• Posted

The artificial joint is attached to the thigh bone and shin bone either with cement or a special material. When fitted together, the attached artificial parts form the joint, relying on the surrounding muscles and ligaments for support and function.
  • Posted

What dose of neurontin did you have?

Knee problem. Please che ck it out as an ignored torn ligament is more difficult to fix. Meanwhile I would advise keeping off the knee as much as possible esp when climbing stairs.

If the knee is swollen use usual methods to reduce the swelling.

the priority is thiugh to seek medical aid to see if there is a tear etc.

• Posted

Almost two weeks. I went off of it last Monday night to see if I still needed and got up at 3 o'clock in the morning with that nerve pain again
  • Posted

I failed to mention that I am six weeks out of total knee replacement
    • Posted

Neurontin is not prescribed for neuropathic pain so iit will not help me.

• Posted

Well that is a significant factor in the management of your pain etc.

It is only by examing/inspecting your knee that anyone can say with any certainty what is causing the signs and symptoms. Jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.