Update on progress and Sharp pains in knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am almost 6 weeks out and have experience severe burning nerve pain until the doctor put me on Neurontin. After the first pill I experienced no  burning nerve pain.  That has given me my life back to a certain extent. I am off of hydrocodone and only take an 800 ibuprofen in the morning. I still have sensitive nerve pain when different materials touch the knee but that is not real bad. I am glad for the warm weather and I can still wear shorts. I find silky type Pjs help with sleeping. The sheets can't touch the knee. Not sure what I will wear when the weather gets cooler. Maybe I'll throw on a lidocaine patchsmile I have a lot of those leftover from foot surgery I had. I still have a lot of stiffness which keeps me from achieving more bend. I am told that will take a long time ( like 6 months)to subside. ( bummer).

Now my new problem is a sharp pain in my knee when I walk. I noticed it a lot as I was cooking dinner last night. Every time I put pressure on my leg pain would shoot in my knee. Has anyone else experienced a sharp pain in the knee when putting pressure on the leg? What if anything can you do about it?

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you just want to shield your skin against clothing rubbing, wear a loose tubigrip, it will also allow you to use creams (stops getting the stuff on the sheets).  Gentle massage as much and as often as you can should help desensitise the nerve issue.  If you still have a knee cap, try manipulating it, it could be rubbing on some internal scarring. Get it checked out if your'e really worried.  Re your lidocaine patches, try them on your knee and see if it helps (where would we be without them ;-) )
  • Posted

hi nancybone64 i had a tkr po5 months and getting a nerve sensation where it was dead before but not painful so also sugest to have checked out and remember 6 weeks po is nothing  you are only starting to heal now after a major procedure, so all my sympathy for your trail and trublations that lay ahead but it is going to get better and soon keep up the phisio icing end meds and if it hurt to much stop doing it and give rrhe knee a rest regards danie61
  • Posted

I just came back from the doctors office. He did say my sharp pains was a result of scar tissue, ligaments, tendons from the surgery. He has given me Tremadol ( may not be spelled right) and Mobid. I am still taking the Nurontin at night. He also said to massage it firmly with vitamin e oil.  

Heres hoping for for the best.  Thank you everyone for your comments. I love this sight 

• Posted

Well done you,  you might find yourself having side effects. Don't be afraid  to go back to the doctor and ask to change. Good Luckxxx
    • Posted

There is a thread tied in with knee replacements on this site, whereby those that have taken Tramadol have had bad experiences. You will know within a week if they are not for you.  Mobic is an anti-inflamm for which I cannot answer. Back to Tramadol. Don't bothering reading about thet fact you can become addicted, with any strong painkiller there is a chance of this.  The main thing is to get rid of the pain first, get yourself back to full working order and then decrease your pain meds. You do need to stick with the bending and extending as this will stop the scar from sticking and preventing you from movement. If Tramadol is not for you, please go back to your doctor, they are there to help not hinder, if you have to badger them, do so x
    • Posted

So far medications don't seem to bother me so maybe I'll be OK. Thanks for the info
  • Posted

Did you have a nerve block?  I had a spinal & nerve block, but after surgery I had no feeling in my leg below the knee.  They said a nerve was cut from the block, and it could take a long time for it to grow back, however, now I am experiencing burning in my foot, and shocks in my lower leg. I can not sleep in my bed, and can not wear shoes.  My surgery was August .
    • Posted

The burning and shocks are the nerve ends.  If it gets really bad ask for the nerve block, (Guanethidine (Intravenous nerve block (Bier block) using guanethidine has been used to treat chronic pain caused by complex regional pain syndrome.), apparently not all consultants, doctors like using it as it is expensive and has now been put on the NICE licenced list ) the procedure is like nothing on this earth. But you'll be given a shot in the hand to help you deal with it.  For the time being, lots of massaging will help desensitise your leg. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.