Updates on how everyone is doing?? Has anyone found their way back to normal?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just wondering if we have any success stories. I'm doing better with yuvafem three times a week, but sex is painful even to think about it. I have a doctor's appt April 3rd but I;m afraid this is the best I will ever be without the mona lisa

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna

Im glad to hear that you are doing better with the 3 Yuvafem!  I didn't know that you started a new blog....it didn't alert me to new in Atrophic Vaginitis.  I would love to hear more from everyone to see how everyone is doing in their healing!  I saw that Jean had a disappointing week with second ML.  Evidently she still has to use Vagifem with the Mona Lisa.  Hopefully she will do well so she can stop the Vagifem.  Are you still going to hold off on the ML?

thanks for posting Donna

best,

Wendy

• Posted

I have to just don't have that cash to do the ML now. My urologist just sent me information, seems they are doing it now too. But Everyone here is so new at it

• Posted

Without the ML, I used vagifem 3x a week and had absolutely no improvement. Now with the ML and 2x week vagifem I am much better.
  • Posted

Is there a reason you are not doing the Mona Lisa? I know it isn't covered by insurance and money is definitely the drawback for me. I have never hear of yuvafem.....but I have done the Premarin, and vagi fem......and they helped a little bit for a couple years but in the past year, I feel like they are not working for me. So I am deciding about the Mona Lisa......I cannot even consider sex. Last time I tried it, it felt like a knife....just excruitiating. Enough to make me think that part of my life is over. Now, possibly with the Mona Lisa, there may be hope. I just need to figure out the money.......

• Posted

yes only one reason Money. Yuva fem is the new generic vagifem. And for me 12 doses is only $5 with our insurance. I can't imagine having sex , everything hurts inside and out. And I hate that part of my life is on hold. 

• Posted

Yep same with me. It is beyond ridiculous about the insurance not covering it. If I go ahead with it I will feel so guilty about the money, and if I don't do it I will feel guilty that I should have done it. If insurance covered it I know I would just do it. For me, not being able to take oral estrogen, I know the premarin and vagi-fem will not help the pain during sex. It helps with my health though, alleviates the symptoms I was having prior to my visit last week. I am struggling so much to make this decision.

• Posted

Yes....hopefully the insurance companies will cover the Mona Lisa......the sooner the better especially for women suffering from Atrophic Vaginitis which is very uncomfortable and affects quality of life!  We all need to contact our insurance company to see if they may be in the process of covering the treatments.  In the meantime I hope more ladies will let us all know their experiences with the ML good or bad......we all need to know......for now for me it's Vagifem.

i wish you all the best!

wendy

• Posted

Thank you Wendy! Yes, a day should be set up so that tons of women nationwide call their insurance companies on the same day.....something to get their attention. I am still undecided about whether to go forward with the ML or not. But I will make a decision soon.....my doctor did not prescribe any vagi-fem or cream my last visit so I will need to either go for the ML or call for a script! You take good care too!!
    • Posted

you know you can actually tear during sex? that is what my gyn/urologist told me

• Posted

It doesn't surprise me at all.......its a searing pain. Worst I have felt ever, and I have dealt with alot of different pain. We usually quit before anything could tear.....like what is the point.....sad. Meanwhile I guess I should call my doctor and get a script for the vagi-fem. Why do I feel like I am letting the doctor down cause I haven't signed up for the ML??!! 

• Posted

Don't worry about letting your doctor down Marianne....do what you think is best for you.  If you are not 100 percent on the Mona Lisa right now just wait until you have peace about it.  I think there are a lot of us out there that need more time and learn more......maybe by that time the insurance companies will cover ML.

• Posted

Thank you, I appreciate your words more than you know!!
    • Posted

You are welcome....We are all here for each other!

take good care!🌺

wendy

• Posted

I know I say I have had pancreatitis, gallbladder attacks, endometriosis, broken bones and brought two 9 lb sons into this world and this is the worst pain I've ever had.  And the worst is people even people that you love think you are overreacting

• Posted

Yes, I know I can't talk about it with family and or most friends because either they think I am over reacting OR they are just plain uncomfortable about it. Its very real, and I know literally a few years ago, after chemo and being taken off HRT abrubtly the painful sex started.....and I didn't realize what was going on....but I knew something was wrong with me. At the time, even my doctor sort of put me off.....prescribed the vagi-fem and that was that. The vaginal cream or suppository did nothing to help the painful sex. It is only now years later that people are starting to talk about it, and atrophy is becoming the buzz word. For me, I finally decided after lengthy research and discussions with my husband to wait on the ML. I called my doc's office to get a script for premarin and they are completely understanding. I think they are excited that there are now these other options but they also completely understand me taking time to move forward with it. So that is my update for now. Really hoping things don't get worse. Again thank you to Donna and also to Wendy for your support. Let's keep the dialogue going. Thank goodness we have each other.

• Posted

Marianne do experience discomfort all the time or pain just with sex?  Many have the discomfort most of the time unless they are on Vagifem or Yuvafem....and some have discomfort while on those.  It does take a long time for the Vagifem to work so don't be discouraged.  Are you in the states?

• Posted

Hi Wendy, what happend to me was I went a long time without seeing my gynocologist. My oncologist told me I should only have to go every 3 years, so I became negligent. About 12 years ago I had a sub cervical hysterectormy and was taken off HRT. I still had my ovaries and I was fine for many years, but of course eventually things began to change. The doctor put me on had been on vagi-fem and that was ok for awhile but then that did not seem to be helping. This was around the time sex became unbearable.  My doctor switched me to Premarin and it was better for awhile. But when I stopped seeing the doc I actually forgot about taking the premarin. Then I started havng uti like symptoms and made an appointment to see him. In the meantime I found some premarin in my closet and used it for a couple weeks which did help clear up my symptoms. When I saw the doctor I was feeling better.  I did not have a uti....it was just the atrophy. This was last week and at this appointment he told me about the Mona Lisa, how many he was doing and how happy women were with it. I learned the hard way that the premarin is absolutely necessary for me. With regular use of premarin the symptoms that are like uti are gone. However, it DOES NOT HELP with the pain of intercourse. It has been a long long time for my husband and I because it is horrible pain that I cannot tolerate. Sorry this is so long......basically the premarin keeps me from having symptoms, but it does not help with the sex part (for me). Yes, I live in the US. I hope to have the ML eventually. But for right now it is on hold.....unless of course the premarin stops helping, or insurance starts covering it......maybe in a couple years I am hoping!! Again sorry it takes me so long to get the info out......its been a long haul these past years! 
    • Posted

I realize what I wrote about being taken off the HRT after the hysterectomy did not make sense! I was put on HRT then. It was after breast cancer 9 years ago that they immediately took me off the HRT. I was fine for awhile but then put on the vagi-fem, followed by premarin. Sorry......I get it all mixed up myself!!
    • Posted

Hi Marianne

thank you for sharing.  Yes unfortunately the atrophy feels like a UTI without the burning at least for me.  I am actually just getting over an actual UTI and unfortunately several weeks after UTI I still feel the sensation of a mild UTI without burning.  My doctor suggests that I increase the Vagifem for a few weeks after UTI then go back to the 2 x week.

Have you put the cream on the outside area.?...with the Vagifem as usual.  My GYN doctor was suggesting that for me for two weeks to "try" to have intimacy with my husbandafter the 2 weeks.then only once a week after that.......just a thought.  I haven't tried it yet due to the recent UTI.  Unfortunately I can get UTI's after intimacy so I have to take a Macrobid after.  Unfortunately my husband and I have not had intimacy intercourse in over a year as pain was so unbearable.......he is so patient and understanding.  For you you may want to try the above unless you already have.

i wish you all the best!  Let's keep sharing.

Blessings,

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, those are the same exact symptoms that I have....everything except the burning.....and if untreated ends up burning too. I wish the vagi-fem worked for me, but it just wasn't strong enough I guess. I went to pick up my new script for Premarin (no generic for it) and it was $65.00. I did find out though that I could sign up for a manufacturer's coupon through Pfeizer so that my co-pay is $15.00, and my insurance pays the rest. Thank goodness. 

That is a good idea about the cream on the outside area.....I can try it, maybe after a few weeks of being back on the premarin. I can tell you though, I have very little hope of sex actually happening. I have more or less resigned myself that I will be waiting until I am able to have the ML.

I appreciate the tip, and mostly the continued dialogue, and support. It is such a cliche but it makes a world of difference to know you are not alone and others are going through the same thing. 

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

Marianne

• Posted

Donna, I only use the Premarin now. I used to use the vagi-fem but for me it wasn't helping enough so my doctor switched me to Premarin. I think it has more estrogen. For me that is a good thing. See my response before this one for Premarin $15 copays if you are interested in adding premarin. I think it might really help you! It made a big difference for me. 

Take good care!

• Posted

Hello

It actually took several weeks if not more for the Vagifem to work for me to feel normal again.  Some on here need 5 Vagifem weekly to start then go down.  Did you give Vagifem enough time to work?

• Posted

I took the vagi fem for a couple years but the doctor never suggested using it more often. I bet that would surely make a difference. The Premarin is messy and more expensive. It does work well for me though, I am more comfortable in a short amount of time. I'll definitely keep the increased dosage in mind for the vagi fem though.....thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.