Upper Abdominal Bloating after Eating

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have upper abdominal bloating, plus an accumulation of belly fat after a couple months of high stress. This fat could be high cortisol, or it could be due to inflammation. This is the cause of sudden belly fat. I gained the belly fat while simultaneously losing weight (wasn't eating enough due to stress). I tried to diet and exercise and the belly fat wouldn't budge. All I did was lose fat everywhere else. This is very new for me. I can hardly eat anything without my upper abdomen under my ribs bloating. I'm down to only being able to eating bananas, eggs, and Meal Replacement shakes without bloating. My bowel movements look healthy. They are not as brown as usual, but I think it's because of all of the Raw Meal Shakes I've been drinking every day. I can't decode what my issue is. If I knew, then I would know what I can and can't eat. And how to fix it. Is this IBS? Any other thoughts? These are all my symptoms.

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

acakes, if my previous post is not posted Monday, let me know, or pm me...claudio
    • Posted

Thanks Claudio. Having an Ultrasound today, bloodwork, stool sample, etc. I can't do the Breath Test for H Pylori until 2 weeks because I was taking Nexium and have to be off of it for 2 weeks before I can do the H Pylori Breath Test. Booo sad
    • Posted

Thanks for the update and "heads up"....Stool samples pretty much the same as UBT...but...could be used as a "marker" for a future comp test..

Do you get full detail on either your ultra sound or blood work?..Here it takes some time...If we go to the lab...can take only a few days..but if we do in dr office...can take 7 to 10 days.

When in either dr. office or lab...the ref form has check box for a copy to patient...if dr doesn't check it...we do.

In the meantime...how are you doing???...Claudio

• Posted

I will get the Ultrasound Results by Thursday. I actually have pictures of the images they took. They sent them to me online. But, of course, I can't read them ha ha. My stomach is still swollen, upper and lower. But the part Im not used to us the upper part. It feels so weird. I am down to eating turkey, sweet potatoes, veggies, bananas, and avocados. I might have to take the meat out because I think it makes me bloat too. I will give it a few more days. I want to know what is wrong so I can fix it because I am tired of feeling this way and want to get back to normal and move on with my life. But I'm also scared of what the problem is. 
    • Posted

ha, I have the videos..and can only grasp maybe 20%..if We had a tutor...Blueprints/wire diagrams/CT MRI and similar are easy..but

sonagrams difficult..not to worry.,your fixable.,

meat for some are difficult to process.

wife had the bloating on and off , upper and lower pains for several weeks. It began to improve

with DGL ..after a meal...she would only take one when her stomach became uncomfortable.. she used the lozenges..750 mg. It is strange the

capsules did not work.,same mg? claudio

• Posted

DyGlycyrrhizinized licorice root..chewables

or capsules..best is without a lot of crap..sugars

flavors etc ...amazon

do a nih or pub med search. claudio

• Posted

I heard about licorice root. But, if I have any type of ulcer then I think you can't have that. I'm scared of the results, scared of not fixing it or going back to normal, and scared they don't find anything. I am starting to guess I need easy digestible foods. She said do autoimmune diet but I want to be able to eat eggs, nuts, and brown rice meal shake. It's easy on my stomach. 
    • Posted

it is ok to be skeptic..dgl has demonstrated good results in ulcers. if you search national institutes of health like pubmed you will find scientic

studies that can help you make choices. for

profit md sites can be helpful but where do they

obtain data?

I thought you were doing protein shakes?

claudio

• Posted

I do take ginger root and tumeric for inflammation. I keep switching my diet. I was trying to drink mostly protein shakes. I tried the autoimmune diet, but I think the meat was making my stomach bloat more. So now I'm back to meal replacement shakes. I'm really confused on what to do.
    • Posted

acakes, I'm confused too. both ginger root and tumeric are good for inflammation but "form, dosage, and timing" are important. "If" your tummy area is inflammed..these might be irritating.

Since you do not know the cause of your condition...and you have ruled out some via tests...and will be receiving the ultrasound results Thursday...I'd wait...if negative....you need to "reboot" your upper digestive system...The wellness center was to have given you direction?. I worry you don't stick to an option long enough to get results?...when you scrape the skin off of your knee....takes time to heal no? feedback might be helpful....ohterwise I'm a confused as you...claudio

• Posted

When I did bananas, meal replacement shake, eggs, and almond butter, my stomach was a little better after a few days. Then I went to the wellness clinic to do tests. They said to do Paleo. I said I can't only eat a few things. So she said do Autoimmune Paleo. But when I ate that diet for two days My stomach bloats on meat. So I figured maybe I just need to go back to what I was doing which eas to eat easily digestible foods. So today I am going back to the bananas, eggs, meal replacement, and almond butter. I'm sure when I go see the nutritionist on Sunday she will tell me something else and I will switch again. I decided to today to stop the ginger root and Tumeric. If you have acid reflux I think you're u can't have licorice, one of those disorders you can't. So I decided to just not have any to be safe. Yes I keep switching. But overall I'm eating sooo healthy!
    • Posted

I think I will make some green smoothies too. Like avocado with spinach and a banana in the blender. I wonder if apple will be ok too. 
    • Posted

Green smoothies are fine..even added apple

I'm now worried about your "shakes"...I thought earlier the shakes were whey protein isolate without additives?  Shake/replacement meals have all kinds of stuff...too many variations for me to consider if pro or con.

I'll  attempt to simplify digestive issues and treatments...there are

diets...supplements...hygine...fitness, and lifestyles that play a role.

diets...too many from Gap, Paleo, and fodmap....choose one...stick to it for 10 days...then change only if you haven't improved....stop if symptoms increase..but try and determine "why"?

Supplements:

Slippery Elm/DGL....these prep the stomach lnining, relax the muscles, and may remedy ulcers.

Probiotics: supplements, kefir, and yogurts

Prebiotics..psyllium husk, jerusalem artichoke root, and yakon root

peppermint

ginger

chamomile tea

Fresh Artichoke (globe)

L-Glutamine...stimulates the repair of mucosa

Vitamins: sublingual b12, C, D3/k2, E  multi b (low like 50)

the other 3, hygine, fitness, and lifestyle are for you to determine...

Your dgl/licorice info you;ve read is not correct. the G has long been removed since large amounts showed it raised BP....overkill but safe none the less.

It's been used as a "stand alone" to cure peptic ulcers..

And if you've had the opportunity to review  the many posts on this forum, you'll find comments it  made from small to huge improvements.

Slippery elm lozenges work much the same...not as powerful as DGL and its used pre meals...while some use DGL pre meals, some also use post meals "if" stomach discomforts develope, and some pre bedtime to help prevent reflux.

I think some of the above should be basics in your supplement stash....and don't rely on your memory for everything..keep a diary...claudio

• Posted

My meal replacement is called RAW meal so it has only healthy ingredients like organic sprouted grains. It's easy on my tummy. But It is considered grain and not part of a Paleo diet. I also like almond butter. I do take L Glutamine and Slippery Elm. I also take Tumeric and Ginger but thinking of stopping that. Also I take probiotics and digestive enzymes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.