Upper back and shoulder blade pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello fellow community members. I have having upper back pain in my shoulder blades for about two months now. It started when i started working on a treadmill. The pain radiates around the shoulder blades and travels from right to left shoulder blades. It does not affect my regular life and I can exercise and go to work with it. The pain is 2/10 but it is always there. It has been there for the past 2 months. It does not affect my sleep, in fact gets better with sleep. What could this be. My friend says this is a typical symptom of lung cancer which has scared me a lot. Does anyone have any similar experience?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't sound like cancer to me!!! If you are worried, see your doctor. It might be worth getting a sports massage. It will be painful as it happens but you may find your pain goes after that? It sounds like you strained it while exercising.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. In fact, I never thought about cancer. But when my friend mentioned it, I cant get it out of my head. I am only 24 and have a desk job in front of computer, so my lifestyle is quite sedentary even though i work out regularly. I will visit the doctor still. Thank you for your advice.
    • Posted

You're welcome. I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. Xxxx

• Posted

I think it sounds like a pulled muscle. It could be that it keeps getting over extended when you work out. It might be beneficial for you to lay off any exercises that uses that part of your back for awhile. You might try adding heat or ice to your back for a few times a day. You might also try taking an NSAID but only for a couple of weeks. Even though you aren't having a great deal of pain and will help to reduce the inflammation. You should not take it for too long or it could hurt your stomach.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I HAVE already taken painkillers though they were not nsaids. The painkiller temporarily eradicated the pain which returned after a few hours . Since the pain was not too much i stopped taking them. It hurts to lie on the shoulder as well but the pain is bearable and has not become worse in the past 2 months. But do muscle pulls or strain stay for 2 months? I will go to the doctor but only after I return from my current office trip. It will be like 2 weeks before I get to see the doctor. Meanwhile i will try some heating as you suggested.
    • Posted

I'm glad that you are able to go on with your normal daily activities without having to resort to painkillers. But like I said about the NSAIDS they will reduce inflammation which goes right along with a muscle pull. If you don't want to take any drugs then try consuming some ginger. A lot of people like to drink ginger tea. Another natural anti-inflammatory is turmeric. You can buy these in a supplement but be prepared that it can cause stomach upset. And to answer your question, yes, a muscle pull can take many months to heal properly. Especially if you continue to aggravate it. One thought I had is when you walk on your treadmill if you swing your arms or lean slightly forward and hold the railings, the jolting of the walking or running can cause jarring to happen to those muscles near your shoulder blades and upper back. This may very well be what's aggravating your upper back.

• Posted

I would try this site Posture.tech. There is loads of info on there about shoulder pain and they have different braces and booklets with stretches to help smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.