Upper back pain - not muscle, no trauma?

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi, I am a 21 year old female and I have had pain in my back for nearly 5 months now. The pain started off feeling like a bruise on my spine, just above where a bra strap would sit, and I thought that it was just a bruise but I couldn't remember doing anything that would cause a bruise there, no trauma or anything like that. After a few weeks the pain got worse and I could feel it when I was not leaning or pressing on it, and the muscles around that area started to ache. The muscles still ache and that pain is getting worse every day, and there is still that different pain on the bone of my spine that I know is definitely not muscle pain. I asked a friend to look at and feel my back and there is a section of my lower back that has decreased sensation (not completely numb, but sensation is dull) and the skin over that area is darker. The pain is worse when I'm trying to sleep, and gets a little bit better during the day but not much. The muscle pain gets a bit better with a heat pack, but heat/cold, painkillers and anti inflamatories do nothing for the pain on my spine.

(I wrote this next part out and realise that it sounds like I'm listing everything that is wrong with me, but I have no idea if it is relevent to my back problem or not, so I'm sorry!)

I have also been experiencing some really bad headaches. I have been having headaches almost every day and I have been waking up with them which I have never had before. I have been getting strange pins and needles in my legs and groin when I'm sitting down in positions I wouldn't normally expect to cause pins and needles. It may be due to me not being able to lie down comfortably, but I have been sweating at night so much even with the window open which is not normal for me. A few days ago my left hip bone started to hurt at the back but I can't pin point the exact location of the pain and none of the muscles around that area hurt. I generally feel quite bad, I am tired all of the time and I keep feeling like I am going to have a cold or flu or something but then not actually getting a full blown cold/flu (you know how you feel the day before you get a really bad cold? All stiff and I can feel it in the back of my throat)

I am really worried about this, but I think I may be over-reacting and I'm scared to see my GP because it will take weeks to get an appointment and I don't see myself getting to the bottom of this any time soon, and as I am coming to the end of my final year at university I will be moving to a different county in 2 months time. (I am also sorry about the length of this!)

5 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need to go and see your Gp, I think you know that, there are lots of explanations as to what you are experiencing, lots that can be treated with physio and painkillers so go and get and ask for an emergency apt, if they say what is it for, say you would like to discuss this with the doctor.

Let us know the outcome. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I saw the doctor this morning and her eyes just glazed over as soon as I said "back pain"! I only managed to convince her to examine my back after I insisted that the pain was not muscular, and I could tell she hadn't listened because she started to feel my lower back and said it felt fine after I had said initially that it was just above my bra strap. I understand that doctors see a lot of back pain, but shouldn't me saying that it has been getting worse for 3 months, I had no trauma/injury and it does not respond to painkillers raise some flags? She said more than once "I don't know what you want me to do for you, there isn't much we can do for a sore back. Painkillers should help though." I had already mentioned that paracetamol, ibruprofen, asprin, heat packs, ice packs and piroxicam gel had done nothing.

I convinced her to give me a referral for an x ray at least, to put my mind at rest, and by some stroke of luck when I rang the hospital they had a cancellation so I'm going up later today! The doctor said it is probably just a sore ligament, and maybe it is just because I didn't like her very much that I don't believe her or maybe I'm wishing for something that can actually be treated so I can get some sleep and a break from this pain.

Sorry for ranting, but I'm tired sad

• Posted

Good for you keep at her, although, I had really bad pain once and it turned out to be a torn ligament, and these things do take a long time to heal.

I hope you ex ray shows up something so you can get the correct treatment, but I have been like this for years.

Let's us know how it goes, here in france we get the results there and then.

• Posted

Ooo, I should go to France for my x-rays then! Here I think it is policy to have the scans sent to a consultant to look at before they can tell you anything, (in case the person who takes the scan tells you something that isn't right) and then the notes on what the consultant finds is sent to your GP so you don't have to book an appointment with the consultant, which could take weeks.

I know why they do it, it makes sense, but the waiting is hard.

Sorry to ask, but when you had a torn ligament could you remember what caused it? It seems so strange to me that I could have damaged a ligament to the point of tearing without ever remembering any kind of activity that could have caused it, or any pain! I only discovered the pain when I leant on a wall (gently!) and when the wall touched my back, bang, pain!

Thank you for responding again smile Hope you are well.

• Posted

I know it's been a few months since you posted about your symptoms but I'm having exact same problems and was wondering what you found out after your test. Hoping all is ok.

• Posted

my husband us a motor mechanic and he had asked me to sit in one of the cars and apply the hand break on and off quite a few times and that did it!!!!!

if your ex rays do not show anything and it is no better ask for a MRI Scan. also ask if you can have physio,

it's just trial and error.

hope you feel some relief soon, take care

lynn

• Posted

Hi there, I hace the exact same thing you are describing and I wanted to know if you know what it is by now so I'll know what do I need to do next. 

Thanks a lot

• Posted

just wondering if you had any solutions to ur problem.  Sounds similiar to my husband altho he hurt his neck doing a forward roll.  MRI and xray both came up clear but has a lot of symptoms like yours so wondering what you were told. 
  • Posted

I'm so happy I found this.  Mine stated that way but now it's my whole rib cage.  I had an xray to check for pneumonia and blood work I'll get back on Saturday.  Trying to tough it out on your own is not fun and I'm not a fan of pain meds. I'm going to also try a chiropractor in the morning. I can no longer live with the pain but am unwilling to go to an er bc im not bleeding or have no broken bones.  sad
  • Posted

Hi fast_snail im having the same problem but my spine hurts alittle bit higher then yours but having the same symptoms did you ever get to bottom of it or are u still having the same problems thanks from jason
  • Posted

I too am having this same problem for over three years. I also have severe spasms in my back when I lie down at night at bedtime. This is all just above my bra, too. The sensitive spot in my spine thought is right below my bra. I have never mentioned it to my doctor as I get the same response you have from a different doctor. The pain can be unbearable when I lie down for up to half an hour. My muscles are very snesitive and when someone tries to massage my shoulders I cringe in pain.

Can you tell me what your doctor found? Thank you very much.

• Posted

I am having the same pain.  I am terrified that it could be something like chronic pancreatitus.  I have had an MRI, CT, Ultrasound, Endoscopy and tons of blood work.  Nothing is showing up.  I also had an MRI dont of my spine and it showed a slight curve but my dr and the radiologist both said that it's so slight that it wouldn't cause pain.  I have read that the spleen and pancreas can cause bra line pain.  My spine feels bruised and never seems to go away.

Did you ever get any answers?

• Posted

Hiya Ann!

I also have been having upper back pain for the past month and it doesn't seem to be getting better! Actually, it got slightly worse after I fell on my back while playing basketball. I am going for all the above mentioned to see if I have problem in my pancreas as well. But, if those tests showed nothing then I'm pretty sure it's nothing serious. If you had pancreatisis, your blood tests would have shown abnormal levels of pancreatic enzymes and your CT scan/ MRI/ Ultrasound would have proven it!

• Posted

your problem is msg .... or intolerance to glutamate ..... google it
  • Posted

Hi, I have read your post and I don't know if you are going to read this but I understand your pain and also the lack of doctor care. I also have that pain I have a tumor on my T12 on my spine where the bra strap goes its a lot of pain at night worse and yes my body feels like am getting the flu and no pain pill helps but am on methadone/tramadal. I had a hard to for my doctor's to listen to me I requested they do a MRI from my neck to lower of bra strap area. I have herniated disc and cracked disc on my neck area but also the tumor on T12. Good luck with your Health

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.