Upper back pain - not muscle, no trauma?

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi, I am a 21 year old female and I have had pain in my back for nearly 5 months now. The pain started off feeling like a bruise on my spine, just above where a bra strap would sit, and I thought that it was just a bruise but I couldn't remember doing anything that would cause a bruise there, no trauma or anything like that. After a few weeks the pain got worse and I could feel it when I was not leaning or pressing on it, and the muscles around that area started to ache. The muscles still ache and that pain is getting worse every day, and there is still that different pain on the bone of my spine that I know is definitely not muscle pain. I asked a friend to look at and feel my back and there is a section of my lower back that has decreased sensation (not completely numb, but sensation is dull) and the skin over that area is darker. The pain is worse when I'm trying to sleep, and gets a little bit better during the day but not much. The muscle pain gets a bit better with a heat pack, but heat/cold, painkillers and anti inflamatories do nothing for the pain on my spine.

(I wrote this next part out and realise that it sounds like I'm listing everything that is wrong with me, but I have no idea if it is relevent to my back problem or not, so I'm sorry!)

I have also been experiencing some really bad headaches. I have been having headaches almost every day and I have been waking up with them which I have never had before. I have been getting strange pins and needles in my legs and groin when I'm sitting down in positions I wouldn't normally expect to cause pins and needles. It may be due to me not being able to lie down comfortably, but I have been sweating at night so much even with the window open which is not normal for me. A few days ago my left hip bone started to hurt at the back but I can't pin point the exact location of the pain and none of the muscles around that area hurt. I generally feel quite bad, I am tired all of the time and I keep feeling like I am going to have a cold or flu or something but then not actually getting a full blown cold/flu (you know how you feel the day before you get a really bad cold? All stiff and I can feel it in the back of my throat)

I am really worried about this, but I think I may be over-reacting and I'm scared to see my GP because it will take weeks to get an appointment and I don't see myself getting to the bottom of this any time soon, and as I am coming to the end of my final year at university I will be moving to a different county in 2 months time. (I am also sorry about the length of this!)

5 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi....You are having the EXACT symptoms as I was having. After multiple dr & hospital visits & having xrays, CT scans, MRI, pain block shots and pain meds..... I finally found a Dr who knew what it was. He is a Gastronologist. I end uo with Pancreatic Cancer. I am still not out of the woods and continue to deal with excrusiating pain daily. PLEASE make an appt and put your mind at ease. I pray you are okay. - Susan
    • Posted

What test showed pancreatic cancer?  I have had an ultasound, and blood tests but all come back normal.  I am still have the pain with stomach issues.  I went to my GI doctor and have scheduled an upper GI test and colonoscopy.  
  • Posted

I also meant to tell you that my MRI showed lesions on my liver. Taking too much pain meds gave me high levels. I don't mean to scare you but you don't need to accept your PCP telling you there is nothing wrong!!

Susan

• Posted

I've read every reply here and didn't see anything about going to a chiropractor. I've gotten very helpful results and information from them. lol

• Posted

i sympathize with you same situation here since 2012.   Ive had back pain in the thorasic area right on my bra strap feels like ive been bitten by fire ants 24-7 and the pain radiates out like a sun burst from that one point in my back.  had cortizone injections, pain meds, pt and ot.  my first go to was chiropractic as im a big believer in them so when they couldnt fix it i eliminated bones being the culprit.  had massages and muscle tests all revealing stress but no definative answers.  left hand goes numb and tingling under left brest and middle sternum feels like so much pressure all the time.  in 2012 three things happened to me got shingles, gestational diabetis, and had an iud mirena put in.  funny thing is no one will send me to a nerologist.  all the three listed items have been known to cause lasting nerve damage.  today i got off the phone with my primary care dr crying as they still wont send a referral to the neurologist.  instead im going in for another mri next week.  im getting so frustrated i want to scream!  tired of not being listened to but not nearly as tired as i am of the unending back pain.  going on almost five years now hope yours doesnt take as long to figure out.
  • Posted

Hello,

I am having pper back pain in my inner shoulders(blades) and on the outside kind of behind armpits(outer shoulder blades) if that makes sense smile. I also have shooting pains in top of pecs going towards collarbones. I am male so not sure if this makes a difference.

• Posted

I don't know if I can have an answer to this question..,I have be having this abdominal pain at the left side of my stomach..since 2013 and I have gone to the hospital doing x ray and ultrasound nothing was found..the doctor said maybe I need exercise so since then I try to forget about the pain but sometime I feel burning sensation around the lower back and moving object but this year I start to feel stiffness of the neck when I touch the neck I don't feel pain only when I try to move it... sometime I started feeling moving object at my upper back it make me feel there is something wrong with my boy because I have not feel this way before over 7 months I have be going this I don't know what is the cause

• Posted

I have had these symptoms for 20 years I would suggest doing a full medical makeup I know massage gives great feedback can barometric pressure changes create havoc tall humidity definitely doing stretching the right way and try to keep all the muscles in the back strong for posture please let me know your progress
  • Posted

I have been going thru this since 2004. finding a doctor to reseach your condition is impossible.  They just dont do that.  I finally found suboxone blocks the pain which eventually was so severe treating it with tramadol (once perfectly controled pain) no longer worked.  Recently one other thing worked. PRP platlet rich plasma treatments. i have had two in the last two years .it has reduced pain enough to allow me to ride horses again and pulled me out of some black depression.  i strongly suggest trying one or both.  unfortunately insurance does not yet recognize suboxone for pain use.  it is worth every penny i pay out of pocket.  i feel the same way about prp.   suboxone for severe pain days, prp for long term management.  
  • Posted

I sure hope and pray you feel better and have found out why you were having so much pain in your back and the headaches you said you were experiencing.

Sincerely Bill Roe

I'm having pain in my upper back currently that is pretty bothersome being I am having to sleep on an ice pack almost every night for week or so. I've been trying to stretch it, taking ibuprofen. Could use a deep tissue massage but realistically can't afford it right now.

• Posted

Hi I have had same problem for 3 months now but mine pain is 2 bones eh on my spine from my neck been taking ibuprofen and using voltarol gel. And nothing works been for xrays they came back normal I have appointment to see physio in 5 mths time but don't know what to do in mean time as I can't even hold a shopping bag for more than 5 minutes without pain getting worse

• Posted

Hello, I was wondering how you are doing now with this issue. Myself, it is 4years that I have every symptom you mentioned above. No help from dr.’s. 

Only thing they found was a hemangioma on my T8.., but everyone says it’s not causing the pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.