Upper Gastroscopy/Endoscopy Without Sedation

Posted , 48 users are following.

Browsing this site because I can see a Colonoscopy coming my way. Got side tracked and ended up in this section.

Just wanted to say about 4 years ago I had to have an upper tract endoscopy (tube down throat) and was beside myself over it. I'm the biggest wimp going and very frightened of invasive procedures.

Anyway, circumstance on the day were that if I had sedation I'd have no one to drive me home afterwards but I wanted to get it over and one with.

So believe it or not I asked for it without sedation. The nurse tried to dissuade me but I stuck to my guns. I did accept the throat spray though. I calmed myself as much as I could and walked into the procedure room.

I'm please to say I managed it without sedation and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. No pain and only minimal discomfort. I did mumble about getting the endoscope out quick just before the end but by then it was nigh on all over. The examining doctor said I'd done so well to tolerate it. That made me doubly proud of myself because at the time I suffered from severe panic attacks (now thankfully gone).

Back in recovery all my fellow endocopees who'd had their procedure before me were snoring their heads off. I waited there a while because I wanted the numbness the spray had caused to my throat to wear off. During this wait I heard other patients who had been sedated fighting, groaning, moaning and shouting during their investigation. I'm sure that would have been me if I'd been left with no control.

Now possibly got to face a colonoscopy and heading to that section to see what the score is on that front.

2 likes, 132 replies

132 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pamela/Dean

I sympathise completely. I've had 4 gastroscopies in the past year, 2 with sedation, 1 with throat spray and 1 with both when they injected botox. They were all a nightmare and, like you, I also lost a nights sleep with flashbacks each time. The doctor wants me to carry on with botox injections but I intend to tell them unless they use anaesthetic, no way! I believe the reason they don't use it is because of the time you would need to spend in their hospital to recover.

Good luck for your future NHS treatments.

Jean

• Posted

I just wanted to chime in and say I just had an upper endoscopy without sedation and it went well. I opted for no sedation because partly I wanted to see the video screen and watch, and partly because I wanted to just get up and walk away and get on with my day and not have after effects of a sedative to deal with. My entire procedure took just 4 minutes (biopsy of duodenum) and while it was rather uncomfortable to feel like I was gagging for those 4 minutes, when it was over, it was over and I got up and walked away from there. If I have to do this again, I'd probably again do it the same way. Just another person's experience.
    • Posted

I had an endoscopy today after much panicing about the procedure. I intended to have the sedative after reading people's experiences online. However I met a very nice lady in the hospital waiting room who had personal experience of both sedative and throat spray and she convinced me to try the latter. I appreciate that everyone has a  unique experience, as for example individuals gagging reflexes differ but I have to say it was very quick and I had no problems at all using the spray. As an aside the hospital staff at QA Portsmouth were brilliant!
  • Posted

Hi i had an upper GI yesterday with biopsies (4) to confirm if i have coeliacs disease

I opted for without sedation, although now that i have read this i am glad i didnt have any.

Whilst i was waiting and talking to the friends and family of those having colonoscopies and endoscopies they all thought i was crazy having it without sedation! so i told the doc i wanted sedation after all, but he said there could be complications due to the sedation (i did think this might be because of the price and NHS funding) but i did want to make my own way home and not have to deal with potentially not remembering anything (i dont like the idea of being unaware of what happens to my body) or if i did become really agitated (which does happen when i get drunk so i didn't want to take the chance). having no sedation allowed me to open my throat to make it less painful, control my own breathing and therefore be able to control myself during the procedure which is important to me.

I am quite sensitive to pains and very aware of when something is not right in my body, which is why i feel sore today.

I went in they gave me 5 sprays of anaesthetic throat spray on the right and another 5 in the left and told me to swallow to numb the throat. It tasted like bitter bananas and the doc explained it would feel like that and it was normal

I had been practising with spaghetti days before to open my throat, so it wouldn't be as uncomfortable or make me gag, however when i had the spray i couldn't open my throat the way i had practised, so i tried to say it felt like it was closing up (not very well as it affects your ability to talk) the doc assured me it meant it was working and that i needed to concentrate on my breathing and it would be fine.

I lied down and focussed on opening my throat and i could when i was on my side (and when i wasn't panicking) and the tube went down well, no gagging or pain.

The tube although not very thick i feel is very hard (when i was told it was flexible i thought it would be softer) but you can feel it when it going down up to below your ribcage. It is a little softer a steel spoon and had a rubber coating on it. I had 4 biopsies taken and they kept blowing air into my stomach so i kept belching really loud which i found really funny (although the laughing didnt help i think that might be why i am sore also!) the doc kept assuring me this was what he was doing and it was normal.

Anyway the most painful part was the biopsies- i know your not meant to feel them, but i could feel the tube being twisted like a wrench and the whole thing moving about, fine for three biopsies but then the last was uncomfortable so i gagged, which is now why my throat is sore on the left hand side because i think its bruised my throat a bit (they did hold me down then, but i was glad as you do need a bit of comfort because it is quite a weird experience)

They also need to protect you from damaging yourself which is why they hold you down so dont worry if they do this, they are there to help you and look after you not harm you and ignore your feelings. It is very important to stop you from talking aswell after you have had the spray as it will only last for a while- and also if you have sedation this can wear off aswell. They are not mean people, they are just trying to do their job.

I am very pleased i could just walk out and carry on my day, although make sure you have a cold drink after your hour is up, as your throat does feel sore.

I am glad i never had the sedation, you will feel sore either way for two days after and at least your will be more aware of what happened, which will make you feel better about the whole experience.

• Posted

I had this procedure without sedation but with the spray. I was on at 0700 and wanted to go to work afterwards. It is not at all pleasant but is over quickly - about 5 minutes. I was alright until they put the tooth shield in and then I panicked a bit as I was worried about not being able to breathe and the loss of control - suddenly they are holding you down and that's a bit scary at first. I can understand why some people lose it at this point. After 30 seconds or so I calmed down, the nurse helped with lots of 'there there it will be alright' and 'just concentrate on breathing', and then they inserted the camera. They ask you to swallow but to be honest all you can do is gag so they just push it down anyway. It is not exactly painful but it feels wrong. You feel the need to swallow while it's in and that is a most curious sensation. Expect to gag again when they start to withdraw the camera. There is no point having the sedation unless you've got 12 hours spare to recover and/or are of a nervous disposition. I experienced a mild sore throat afterwards but no other ill effects.
  • Posted

Well I'm not sure about the 12 hours spare in hospital.

I had mine done under quite a generous dose of sedation and only had to wait an hour and 1/2 afterwards. My first endoscopy was actually with some sort of conscious sedation but it did not work until after they'd already shoved that tube all the way down (it hurt and I gagged/vomited)- and I felt it squirming all around my insides. In fact, I felt paralyzed from the neck down so I couldnt raise my hand when I tried. Too weird. So I decided to never do that again without proper deep sedation.

This time, I cannot honestly remember feeling a single thing about the procedure, (except for the preparation part) which I am soooo glad for. So I def recommend sedation for the more sentitive/anxious crowd.

Actually I probably earned myself a deeper sedation because I'd lost control as soon as I saw the whole machinery and team of nurses. So the operating doctor told me \"Okay, I promise you won't feel this because we're upping your drugs!\". Yes, quite sad indeed. But hey, no fit no gain xP.

• Posted

Just to add another experience to this list for anyone interested in all possibilities of what it might involve.

I opted for the procedure without sedation because I wanted to be able to get straight back to work. Also, I like to be rational and in control of myself. In the past I have woken up from anaesthetics crying and telling strangers I love them. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I was concerned that under sedation I would have less self control to do what the nurses and doc needed me to do. Perhaps it is skewed logic to fear I would be more likely to panic if sedated. Who knows?

Having the throat spray and the following loss of sensation was a very strange feeling. i.e. I was swallowing and knew I was, but couldnt feel it at all. Very quickly after that the mouth/tooth guard was inserted and strapped around my head to hold it in place. This is effectively a short wide pipe to bite on. The camera passes through it & safely away from the teeth.

Because a minor part of the problem I was having investigated involved choking when I lie down, I was profoundly nervous lying down with my mouth strapped open and being unable to feel myself swallowing.

The staff reassured me constantly that I would be able to breath and they would use suction to remove any saliva and fluids from my mouth.

Next they prepared to put the camera in, and in truth I felt at the time it was all going too quickly. I wanted more time to have it explained, but I know they were just being efficient and getting it over as fast as possible for my benefit. There wasnt any more information they could have given me anyway.

I know this isnt everyones experience, but as the pipe went in I gagged violently and was sick. Each time the pipe was pushed in further I vomitted again - I think 7 times in all. After the first few times I tried to indicate for them to stop but when I realised that wasnt going to happen I focussed on breathing, keeping my tongue still, and staying in position as advised by the calm voice issuing a constant flow of instructions.

I was scared, but despite all the vomiting the staff were right - I could breath - they maintained suction - and the procedure was over in minutes. Possibly the most unpleasant minutes of my life so far ... but worse things happen at sea!

The doctor was giving me a commentary on what she was doing and how close we were to the end. Brilliant feeling when she said, now we're finished, I'm going to withdraw the tube - Hooray.

Afterwards I was shaking involuntarily. Dean is right that it does feel like a major violation, but the people who did it were professional and kind and acting solely in my best interests. Several staff had their hands on me during the procedure though I wouldnt say they were holding me down - perhaps they were preparing to in case it was needed, but whatever the reason I found the contact comforting. I held onto one of the hands - no idea whose, but it's just one of those little things that makes nursing staff like angels.

Oh, the final thing was that afterwards I had stomach acid in my throat because of the vomitting, and that was quite painful. I'd had the throat spray so wasnt allowed to drink anything or take antacids - just had put up with it - while the people coming round from sedatives on the ward were drinking tea and eating scones Smile Score one for sedatives.

If I had to do this again I would probably fast for ALOT longer than requested in the literature. Apparently the vomiting is exacerbated by food remaining in the stomach. For my 3:30pm procedure it was recommended that eat nothing after a light breakfast no later than 7:30am the same day. I ate the evening before then nothing except a cup of tea that morning at 7:15am - yet there was food remaining in my stomach. Next time, I'll check it out with my Doc first, but probably fast the whole day before.

• Posted

I had an endoscopy performed this morning and the nurses actually did everything they could not to sedate me so I took there advise and just had the throat spray. When the camera went in and I was asked to swallow it was horrible and they had to hold me down to stop me from pulling the tube out, after 4 minutes and a biopsy the endoscopy was over. I would strongly advise going without sedation as the procedure is so short as is the pain/discomfort that it really isnt worth it and you are allowed to leave straight away!
  • Posted

Just had one! I had the throat spray only as the sedative for the colonoscopy gave me a horrible comedown and I couldn't work the next day. I have to say its an unpleasant procedure and pretty uncomfortable. The throat spray makes you feel like you're choking and very sick. Once they got the air out it was easier but I'd say brace yourself. I tried visualisation etc. shutting eyes helped a bit but in the end your body reacts to what's happening. The only thing is its quick...but I felt shattered after.
  • Posted

Brilliant. I have a gastroscopy in a few hours and this thread has made me feel very uncomfortable! I had one several years ago with only throat numbing spray (choking and violently gagging, don't think i had a sedation option) and was very relieved when I heard I could be sedated yesterday. However having read this thread, I'm going to take the spray again. Sigh.
  • Posted

I have one next week and I am sooooo frightened now. I suffer with panic and palpatations but I don't want to be sedated. I also have a horrendous gag reflex! Help x

• Posted

I have a really sensitive gag reflex and have found wrapping my tongue round the pipe, once it's going down, seems to help a lot. 
  • Posted

Im having this done on Friday... i haven changed my mind about it from the start... i dont want it done!

unfortunatley i dont have a choice i asked to be sedated but the doctor said there was no need as he knows what he is looking for so i will have the spray.

Only thing that has really got me worried is not being able to breathe. Im asthmatic and just feel im going to panic and just not be able to catch my breathe.

I should be fine though my doctor who is rather old and retired so only works in private care now a couple of days a week said he has being doing it for years. Yup when he said that i felt worse. but friends have kept me smiling about it. They said just think of it as practise.

but the way im looking at it is i have a short day at work on Friday so thats one good thing about it all.

• Posted

I had one of these today without sedation and although it wasn't the most pleasant experience I've ever had, it was over quickly and not too bad. I have a very strong gag reflex, to the extent that even the mouthguard made me feel a little uncomfortable, and I did retch pretty violently a few times; but still, the fact that I had confidence in the people who were performing the procedure, and had a nurse there reminding me to breathe, keep my head down, and so on made it bearable.

Tips: Focus on your breathing. Keep your chin down. Some heaving is pretty normal so don't worry about it - the doctor and the nurses are an experienced team who have done this loads of times and know what to do whatever happens; and it's over very quickly.

• Posted

I had this procedure yesterday. It wasn't good. I'm not normally nervous or squeamish, but I opted for 'sedation' which turned out to be only 3mg of midazolam and not very effective. I gagged a lot and it hurt, as if a large iron rod was being poked into the side of my throat. The endoscopist was abrupt and hard-faced, although the nurses were very kind. I had explained that my husband has limited English, so had provided a very simple list of questions requiring a tick or a cross. The chap pulled a face and afterwards he'd only written 'plain hiatus hernia' on my paper. Pulling the tube out was even more painful and I tried to scream and was fighting the poor nurses. My BP went up to 200 over 120, dangerously high. They let me out when it went down to 165 over 100, still not ideal. I'm a very calm person usually but I still feel 'violated' and 'attacked'. The whole thing was ghastly and total rubbish. I'd never ever go through it again. My sister is a doctor and was horrified. I'm still in a lot of pain in my throat, and it turns out I have a 'sliding hiatus hernia'. I don't care if I have a sliding rabbit in there, I'm never going back!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.