Upper Gastroscopy/Endoscopy Without Sedation

Posted , 48 users are following.

Browsing this site because I can see a Colonoscopy coming my way. Got side tracked and ended up in this section.

Just wanted to say about 4 years ago I had to have an upper tract endoscopy (tube down throat) and was beside myself over it. I'm the biggest wimp going and very frightened of invasive procedures.

Anyway, circumstance on the day were that if I had sedation I'd have no one to drive me home afterwards but I wanted to get it over and one with.

So believe it or not I asked for it without sedation. The nurse tried to dissuade me but I stuck to my guns. I did accept the throat spray though. I calmed myself as much as I could and walked into the procedure room.

I'm please to say I managed it without sedation and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. No pain and only minimal discomfort. I did mumble about getting the endoscope out quick just before the end but by then it was nigh on all over. The examining doctor said I'd done so well to tolerate it. That made me doubly proud of myself because at the time I suffered from severe panic attacks (now thankfully gone).

Back in recovery all my fellow endocopees who'd had their procedure before me were snoring their heads off. I waited there a while because I wanted the numbness the spray had caused to my throat to wear off. During this wait I heard other patients who had been sedated fighting, groaning, moaning and shouting during their investigation. I'm sure that would have been me if I'd been left with no control.

Now possibly got to face a colonoscopy and heading to that section to see what the score is on that front.

2 likes, 132 replies

132 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had this done today and it wasn't too bad. I took 10 ml of diazepam an hour beforehand so I felt quite

relaxed. I had the throat spray and just went for it. I gagged a bit as it went down but just concentrated on my breathing. It was over very quickly. I thought it would be a lot worse. Don't worry. I would recommend taking a tranquilizer of some sort an hour beforehand. This means you will definitely feel relaxed by the time you

have the procedure

• Posted

my question is did the procedure expand your esophagus and clear up your airway?
  • Posted

I had a nasal gastroscopy 2 months ago. It was a horrid experience though supposedly much better than via the mouth and no gagging, though I did A LOT. Yes it was fast but I felt terribly violated and traumatised. Almost in shock afterwards. I couldn't have gone back to work, despite being steps away from it. The tube was just 6mm but seemed pretty big to me though they showed me the one for via the mouth. I closed my eyes, as advised and tried to concentrate on my breathing. I got through it, but hope I don't have to again.
  • Posted

I had this done today, as a self-employed scientist I can't just take days off and as I had an afternoon appointment, I was told if I had sedation then I would be in overnight.

Well, that wasn't happening, the waiting room itself wasn't too friendly, so I opted for throat spray only.

I have to admit, the procedure isn't comfortable and made me wretch plenty of times in the 5 or 6 minutes that the tube was down my throat.

However, the nurses just told me not to worry and it would soon be over. This was my first time ever in a hospital since I was born (apart from the odd stitch in A&E) and would say to just bear with it without the sedative, I don't believe in taking things that are not necessary - I treated this like a bad day at the dentist, but glad I had it done for peace of mind.

I must also add, during the procedure, there were tears in my eyes and I sweated profusely, this is nothing to the information that you need to get for your intestinal health. A few minutes of discomfort for a successful screening is with far more than this.

Thanks to my Doctor & 2 nurses today for your efforts.

Doctor Q - Physicist & Material Scientist

• Posted

Have just had this done twice in 3 months now and 3rd in total and whilst I would never run towards having these again, for me, it wasn't too bad an experience.

Similar to an earlier post, just had the spray and didn't bother with the 'woozy juice' since needed to drive straight afterwards. 2nd time I had one included 7 biopsies and seemed to go on for ages, about 15 minutes in all however follow up check was in and out in 2-3 minutes.

At the end of the day, everyone's different and the chap in the office has a really bad gagging reflex so found it very hard whereas I just stare at the lights whilst the nurses rubbed my head and held my hands like a 5 year old :0-) .....works for me!

The point is, it's not painful just a little uncomfortable and once the tube is past the top of your throat it tends to be more manageable....honest!

• Posted

I've had several endoscopies after being diagnosed with a gastric obstruction and needing pyloric dilations. The first time I went in I thought the procedure couldn't be too bad as they wouldn't let you do it without sedation if it was, so just had the throat spray. And it wasn't too bad until I started vomiting. Despite fasting for over 24 hours my stomach hadn't emptied and I felt I was suffocating. Groaning away as you can't speak. The next few times I had the sedation and it was fine, I just remember vague bits of the nursing team talking me through it. However the last time I was taken straight into the treatment room and sedated and it was all so quick. This time I must have had a higher dose as I can't remember a thing about this one. When I came to they said I was in a lot of discomfort and couldn't tolerate the procedure and they had to abandon it as there was a risk of tearing my stomach apparently. Hopefully I'm having an operation soon so won't have to have another, fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time, redcat. I did too, but I think it depends on your age. I only got a half-dose as I'm over 65, and all it did was depress my higher centres (which could have helped me to cooperate), leaving me wide awake and struggling like a terrified wild animal. I didn't crash out afterwards either - I was completely wired and didn't close my eyes for 30 hours. I don't think I could ever go through it again, whatever was wrong with me, but I certainly wouldn't have so-called "conscious sedation" again.

I was left with permanent damage to my throat but the hospital says it's my fault as I was struggling so much! I'd swallowed my large, spiky denture three weeks earlier and it had been stuck in my throat all that time, while I was sent away from one hospital after another, as it didn't show up on Xrays. When I finally went back to one of the hospitals that had thrown me out, I'd lost a huge amount of weight and was severely dehydrated as a result of not being able to swallow. They grudgingly agreed to do a gastroscopy when my friend threatened them with legal action, but insisted they weren't going to find anything because I hadn't swallowed the denture.

I think that if they'd believed me, they'd probably have done it under GA, as the denture was embedded in my throat and difficult to get out. In the event, they got a nasty surprise once they got down there and then had no choice but to hold me down while they struggled to get it out. Worst 20 minutes of my life! I've now been left with permanent difficulty in swallowing due to scarring.

I think the moral is: don't opt for conscious sedation for any procedure if you're over 65. They're only allowed to give seniors a half-dose as there's a risk of cardiac and respiratory depression. The tiny dose you'll get won't knock you out but will only make it harder for you to cope with what's going on, and there's a risk you'll damage yourself during the ensuing struggle.

I don't know your age but as far as I can make out, conscious sedation usually works well for the under-65s, as they give you a proper dose.

• Posted

I have just undergone - sort of - my second GI endoscopy; the first was ten years or so ago. That one went more or less without a hitch, it felt strange, slight gagging right at the end, certainly not pleasant, but OK.

Since I opted then for the throat spray, I had no reason to do otherwise this time. However, this time I was gagging and heaving continuously right from the start, to the extent that I couldn't breath; they had to abandon the procedure. It really has me puzzled; after all, I knew what to expect. Or maybe subconsciously that was the problem. Frankly, I felt a right twit. Still do.

One big difference however: the first time I had just the briefest of squirts of the numbing spray, just a quick 'Tsss'. This time it was Tsssssss, Tssssss, Tssssss, left, right, centre..."swallow that" then the same again. I was so numbed I couldn't speak or swallow properly, and in fact was starting to gag before I even lay on the couch.

Anyone else had this experience?

• Posted

Hi I've just had a g I endoscopy. I didn't want to have sedation or throat spray so I just had it without anything. I suffer from chronic anxiety and I managed ok a soon as the tube passed down the throat I could breath and it was over in minuets. I'd be lying if I said I was a pleasant experience but it wasn't as bad I expected it to be x smile
  • Posted

I had endoscopy done yesterday, I was petrified about the procedure to the extent that at one point a couple of weeks ago I was going to cancel it.

The thought of having a tube inserted down my throat seemed like a form of torture and sedation meant loss of self control for hours. The day finally arrived and I gathered the courage and went along with my wife.

I opted for the throat spray and went it.. the whole procedure took less than 10 minutes, the doctor sprayed my throat.. the taste was not pleasant.. then was asked to lay on my left side and raise my knees up to my chest, then the doctor inserted the tube after the nurse put the mouth piece in my mouth.

I gagged a couple of times but there was no pain, the nurse kept talking to me and telling me how well I was doing and to concentrate on my breathing.. and that was it.. not half as bad as I thought it would be.. I was immediately up on my feet and talking normally and within an hour I was eating and drinking.

If you are worried as I was about this procedure then stop worrying.. it was not fun but was not bad either.

• Posted

Hi.I had a endoscopy last Tuesday & opted to have the spray.I really would advise anyone to just have the spray.The procedure only lasted 3 to 4 minutes & didn't hurt one bit,a bit of discomfort but it's all over very quickly & then they put you in a room for 30 mins with a cup of tea & some biscuits.
  • Posted

Hello.  Just thought I'd share my experience of a gastroscopy with throat spray.  I was very nervous abou this, as my sis-in-law had told me it was a horrendous experience which she'd never go through again.  I'm so glad I listened to a friend who gave me breathing exercises to do during the procedure and who reassured me that, whilst it isn't something you'd do for fun, it really isn't that bad.  She was absolutely right.  The staff at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield were brilliant - very calm and reassuring and the whole procedure (over in less than 5 minutes) was fine - I didn't even gag as the tube went down.  By the time the spray wore off I was ravenous and thirsty and, 24 hours on, I feel absolutely fine.
  • Posted

I just had a Colonoscopy today, until the previous night i had been planning having sedation as i get very anxious and was a nervous wreck worrying about the procedure. however after reading some of the letters about the sedation put me off and it seemed the spray if i could be brave enough was the better option. i'm so glad i went with the latter, the whole procedure was over in a few minutes it wasnt painful in any way just a little discomfort when swallowing the tube, i concentrated on my breathing and all was fine and over so quickly. Amazingly i was able to relax during the procedure which might be the key to less discomfort. i would definatly recomend the spray..i have nothing but praise for all the hospital staff at the Glasgow Royal where i had it done. 
  • Posted

correction regarding my ast blog it should have said Endoscopy 

• Posted

Phew...!

Pleased about that, it would have been a long job to swallow a 30-foot endoscope! (Sorry to be flippant  lol).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.