Upper GI scope am I worried for nothing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have my first scope tomorrow and I've never had one before. I am so worried I almost want to cancel it. I know they need to see if I have the ulcer my GP thinks I have and it would be nice to drink a latte every now and then but everything scares me. My anxiety is so high. Has anyone had a scope?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes! I just had one this past Thursday.   Never had one before.  Don’t cancel it.  It was really no big deal.   They give you medicine , so you are out and don’t feel a THING!

next thing I knew I woke up and it was all over. You wait for about 30 minutes and then you can go home with whoever brought you there. They Just give you some instructions and that’s it! The only thing I felt was a slight soreness in my throat the next day but then the next day after that it was Gone.  

Have yourself checked out so you know what’s going on.   I thought for sure I had  an ulcer and I was scared of results, but it turned out to be gastritis which is just an inflammation of the stomach lining. It’s very common. They do these procedures all day long so it’s very common to do.

Even  if it is an ulcer, that doesn’t mean that you have to forever cut out having a latte. It just means you have to be careful what you eat and drink and try to eat more alkaline  food rather than acid. It’s balancing  a ratio of 2 alkaline to one acid.

Most of what we eat is acid food , and alkaline foods are healthy whether you have an ulcer or not. 

Get it done so you can start to feel better!   Otherwise you will be feeling poorly and have no answers.   

You are Going to be fine! 🌸😁??

• Posted

Thank you so much Jan I will read your comment over and over before tomorrow.
  • Posted

Plus my sister had the scope before I did and told me that she didn’t remember a thing. she said it was easier than having her teeth cleaned.  LOL 

The doctor who did mine said The whole procedure is only 5 minutes or less . 😁👍

• Posted

Hi Kim i have had two scopes so far and they are not painful. they put you out for awile you wake up had a little sore throat after thats it and they send you home . i had ulcers and gastritis the doctor gave me some medicne i took for a month i went back for the second Scope and told me my uclers healed.😄

• Posted

That's great news that they healed crystal. And thank you for your reply. My health anxiety is very high and I'm trying not to stress about it.

• Posted

Your welcome yes the med..helped alot..so is mine i freak out about alot of stuff. Even when the doctors tell me everything is ok.
    • Posted

I do too. I worry about everything. I'm doing a little better tho with my anxiety. I'm really trying.

• Posted

Me too ..i try everyday to think postive things not negitive .. Things.
  • Posted

Yep! and they should sedate you before they do it, often you can't remember it. If you do have an ulcer it won't be the anxiety that has caused it, though the anxiety does make it worse. The commonest causes are either taking anti inflammatory pain killers or an infection with a bug called H pylori, they will check for the bug when they do the scope.  These are readily treatable so you should be able to go back to your latte, so I hope it goes / or has gone OK.

• Posted

Thank you I'm leaving in a few minutes for it.

• Posted

Acid reflux, hiatal hernia, and Barrett's Esophagus. I will be going back every year. Biopsies will take about a week.

• Posted

That's a bit of a pain having to keep going back but I hope you didn't find it to bad. At least you know its being monitored. I don't know if anyone has given you any advice about the reflux and HH but raising the head of your bed about 4 - 6 inches can really help & it isn't enough to disturb your sleep to much. They don't usually recommend any special diet, just avoid the things you know irritate your stomach and they will probably suggest the best times to eat and not eat, so you don't have a full stomach when lying down. They should give you something to reduce acid production so you should feel better quite quickly, they are very effective.

• Posted

how did it go today Kim? 🙂

• Posted

It went ok I didn't fall asleep and I remember everything. I ate a burrito after leaving the clinic and I got very sick after getting home. I threw up and slept a little while and now I feel a bit better. I'm hoping everything ends up ok. Thank you guys so much. I will probably worry a lot about whether all of those things will be ok. But I am hopeful.

• Posted

Hi kim im glad everything went well ..hope everything. Else is ok too.. Tc..god bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.