Upper GI scope am I worried for nothing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have my first scope tomorrow and I've never had one before. I am so worried I almost want to cancel it. I know they need to see if I have the ulcer my GP thinks I have and it would be nice to drink a latte every now and then but everything scares me. My anxiety is so high. Has anyone had a scope?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kim,

How did it go, was it not as bad as you thought.

I have to have one Friday, and like you were, I am sitting here terrified and told my husband I want to cancel it!

Hope you are ok and glad you must be able to take a deep breath and relax now.

Reetah x

• Posted

It was totally fine. I was awake the whole time which surprised the doctor. They thought I would fall asleep due to the sedation med and the other they give to help you not remember. I remember everything. It didn't hurt at all. The throat spray burns a little and it's uncomfortable having something in your throat because it's a little hard to swallow. I had a bit of a sore throat last night but I'm ok this morning. I ate a burritos after going yesterday and the medicine made me pretty sick so I came home and threw up and after that I felt better. I have to have one of these every year now. I won't worry when it's time for my next one.

• Posted

Chest pain and acid reflux. At one point I also had some burning in my chest and stomach. I have been on a PPI the last couple of months. The doctor thought since I still have chest pain I could possibly have an ulcer. I don't have one tho. I still have some, neck, and clavicle pain. They think that may be musculoskeletal. I just know I have googled so many things and have had a lot of tests. I have been so worried. I have been too worried to just enjoy being here and with my children. I hate that feeling. I'm still worried but I'm trying to be a healthier version of myself in every sense of the word and that includes mentally. Every day is a struggle.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Sorry I saw your post after I had written.

Thanks for replying. I will still be scared I think as I don't want the sedation, scares me being put of control. Got it at 8.30 this Friday!!

Glad at least it is over for you xx

• Posted

Good news is that it didn't hurt. I didn't have any issues with the actual scope. The throat spray burned a bit but it was ok. I was awake during the scope. It will be ok. Let me know how it goes ok?

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Well it's all over....and they found nothing wrong, whj h was good news.

I had the throat spray, didn't like that much and the sedation, I don't remember anything really, so must have fallen asleep.

I t wasn't as bad as I thought, it's the fear of the unknown that is the worse thing.

Hope you are ok? xx

• Posted

I'm waiting for the biopsy results. I had a few issues. Gerd, hiatal hernia, and Barrett's esophagus. I'll be in PPI medication. I just hope it doesn't get worse. smile Glad you're ok.

• Posted

Yes I was sorry to read that Kim.

And now you have to fret while waiting for results.

I was looking at diet for barrets online and it seems you can do a lot to help yourself along with medication. Keep us up to date with how you are.

I have to go back to the docs this week as I still have issues with my guts.....I just hope they don't want to stick a camera up the other end!

The trauma of waiting for that endoscopy has worn me out.

Keep in touch xx

• Posted

Thank you so much. I am trying to eat healthy and avoid things. My stomach has felt sick for two days and last night a friend invited my family for dinner and she made lasagna. I really shouldn't have ate any I knew better but I was hoping I would be ok. Today I feel even sicker than yesterday. I hope it goes away. Today I am going to try dry food. Maybe no food at all. I don't know.

• Posted

Make some nourishing veggie soups, with potatoes added....baked apples....fill your body with vitamins and minerals naturally. And know that every mouthful you take will be doing you good and repairing you .

Remember everything you eat becomes you!

In the meantime do you have any anti nausea medication to help you?

I know you're going to worry, till

You get your results and they work out a plan for you...that's Why you have to do the best for yourself, especially while you are waiting and always from now on. So you can get on with your life

and did you say you have children.

I won't disappear just because I had the all clear....and I'll let you know what the doc suggests for me.

Watch this space!

Keep Smiling xx

• Posted

Yes, I have four children. Yes, I am still worried. I have felt bad the last couple of days. Very nauseous and stomach pain. No fever that I'm aware of which is good. I don't think I could even do any soups at the moment.

• Posted

How do you feel today Kim?

Do you have any antisickness tablets? I used to use some that dissolve under your lip 

They are called Prochlorperazine Buccal 3mg. May be ask your doctor if you could try them, I found them very effective .

Must be tough copies g with the children and feel I g dreadful, let alo e worried.

I have three, so I do understand, except for mine are all grown up now.

I had a bad start to the day with my guts again....so fed up with waking up like it, I am sure most of it is anxiety.

xxx

• Posted

I do have some tablets. They are a different kind. I haven't taken them because I'm not sure if they would go with my medicine I'm on. I can check with the doctor's office and see. I'm having issues with my stomach as well and my daughter does too. It seems we caught a bug and my twins aren't feeling well either. I hope it goes away quickly. I hope you feel better as well. My anxiety is always high when I'm not feeling well.

• Posted

Gosh, you poor thing that's all you needed! How is everyone?

And you especially....When do you expect your results?

At least when you get them, your doctor can sort you put and make you feel better.

I have had a better day, but I don't too excited :-)

I have the doctors tomorrow, will let you know what happens.

Are you in the UK? I live in Gloucestershire. xx

• Posted

Still have it today. I went to work and kids went to school and we aren't better yet. Results came in I don't have any progression yet of the Barrett's. I am in the US in Iowa.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I am sure in a few days you will all feel better soon.

That's good news from your results then. I presume you may still have to take medication. But you know, now you won't be worrying so much, will make you

feel so much better too, so you can begin to live your life again. I hope so.

Gosh we are quite far apart in the world aren't we! How amazing it is that we can still help each other. xx

• Posted

Yes we are very far away. I love these patient forums they are so helpful and ease my mind a bit.

I will have to be on medication the rest of my life but I've already changed eating habits and lost some weight so I want to continue to do so.

I still worry all of the time but I'm taking each day 1 at a time.

• Posted

Do you suffer with anxiety Kim?

I do, I am a worrier and the smallest thing can get out of control in my mind, no matter how busy I am, I can still worry!

At least now as you say you can adapt your diet, take the medication and slowly, slowly life will become more settled for you.

You need to enjoy those gorgeous children, they grow up so quick believe me.

Well I went to docs yesterday and she is just doing test for thyroid and wants to see me again three weeks. I still have morning diarrhoea and anxiety, and I think that's what it is, anxiety! But you have to get these things checked out.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and I'll check in to see how you are doing soon. xx

• Posted

I have horrible anxiety. I've been sick all week. I have abdominal pain, gas, bloating, back pain, and a strange feeling of pressing on my pelvis area while peeing. I googled so many things today and I'm afraid to take medicine that will cover over the pain. I love my children so much and I'm trying to ignore the pain for them but it's hard sometimes.

• Posted

I read a phrase that said "you do not end anxiety by trying to be calm. You do it by acting bravely!

And it's true....in the end when I have had bad anxiety I have had to make myself do something, go out shopping, go to my kids houses for the day. And you come back and you think...it wasn't so bad after all and I got through it.

It's not going to cure it all straight away, but it's a start and shows you, you are still that strong person that can go anywhere and enjoy themselves, just like you used to.

I know this as I have had anxiety on and off all my life. And the I have just stayed at my daughter's all weekend, I was jittery and nervous going, thinking, what if I feel sick, what if this or that. I had a lovely time, I didn't feel great all the time, but then I forgot about it for a while...distraction is the key. I'm not saying it's easy, but yes, you do have to be brave.

My symptoms right now are aching muscles throughout my body, especially neck and shoulders, but also arms, legs, tummy pain, gas, and the occasional rushing to the loo, which makes me scared to eat.

Having said that I was starving on the way back from my daughter's yesterday and we stopped for a kfc and I've been fine!

How old are you Kim? I have just turned 60, last week I was 59 and felt so young! :-) 

What I'm saying is I have had episodes like this on and off for years, they come and go if you are an anxious type, but you can live with it

Don't be scared all the time...I have had loads of different symptoms and am still here to tell the tale!

May be we could talk via email, but I don't know how to exchange private information on here...but only if you want to of course?

I hope you had an ok weekend? 

• Posted

I love your reply Reetah. I am 39 and I am told I am decently healthy besides the GI issues, stomach issues, and all the pain lol. I am glad you had a good time at your daughter's this weekend. I spent the weekend in the hospital. I had been sick since the previous Sunday and thought it was either the lasagna I ate or a flu bug. My daughter had similar symptoms. It wasn't getting better and the pain was horrible so I went to the emergency room. They did a CT scan with contrast and found a severely inflamed sigmoid colon. I have had diverticulitis before but not nearly this bad and I've never had to he hospitalized for it. I had IV antibiotics and potassium, magnesium because both of those were severely low. I was out on a heart monitor and on a cardiac floor because they were worried about arrythmias. The first day I was up and walking around bored from being in my room. The second day I didn't want to get out of bed. I was exhausted. They ended up letting me out last night and I am still feeling awful. I have cystitis also they told me yesterday morning so they sent me home with the same antibiotics but in pill form. I threw up violently before leaving the hospital after taking them. I hadn't eaten since breakfast and my stomach was very upset. Today I am staying home from work and trying to rest easy. I'm in a lot of pain but I am not anxious at the moment thankfully. I have been diagnosed with so many things over the last couple of months. They are mostly GI related but I feel as though I shouldn't eat anything at this point. The things that are good for one disease are not good for the next. It's going to be complete trial and error. At least nothing is major and can all be helped by diet and medication at this point but it's a lot to deal with. I won't even start thinking about the what ifs that can happen with all of them. I am trying to enjoy life as much as possible and be as healthy as I can. Maybe all of this health anxiety was because I knew something was wrong with my body even tho I couldn't pinpoint what. I have been pretty calm since coming home from the hospital. I cried a lot and worried a lot while I was in there. I kept praying for strength and to worry less. Prayer helps me a lot. I hope you have a wonderful day.

• Posted

Gosh Kim, I'm so sorry to hear how bad you have been.

I hope you are at least starting to feel a little better now.

It will be a nightmare for you, but you have to eat.

I know you have physical symptoms and things wrong, but have you ever read about the brain, gut connection and the vagus nerve? You might find it interesting.

Yes prayer is good. If you surrender to God/the universe what/who ever you believe in.

Say that you surrender, you can't fix all this, you have tried and you are tired......let it be fixed for you.

Let go and believe. It works and you no longer have to worry.

I hope you start to feel much better soon. xx

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Just wondering how you are doing and I hope you are feeling better from when we last spoke.

I am still suffering from the morning anxiety and diarrhoea.

Have spoken to doctor and had more bloods and another stool test done, all clear, which is good I know. But we have agreed that if I can't sort  the anxiety out and the diarrhoea doesn't stop by the end of the month I will have to have a colonoscopy...that fills me with dread, but I suppose isn't quite so scary as the endoscopy and the thought of something going down your throat. Just a bit fed up at the moment. I am sure I am doing this to myself, but I can't get out of it.

Tell me how you are. xx

• Posted

I am doing alright. I'm a bit constipated and had blood in my stools this morning. Diverticulitis is very dangerous with constipation. gI doc said I should take magnesium citrate to clean out my bowels. I haven't drank it yet. I worry constantly but my health anxiety has gotten a bit better. I'm sleeping. People at work are sick right now and I'm trying desperately not to catch it. We had several inches of snow today and I kept getting my car stuck in it on the way home. All in all not my best day but not the worst either. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for April. I've never had a complete one...the air and water up the rear during a DD flare hurt and was horrible pain. I'll be cleaned out this time though. So that's good news. Does anything help lessen your worries?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.