UPPER RIGHT BACK PAIN & UPPER RIGHT QUADRANT PAIN

Posted , 12 users are following.

Ok, i know i am beginning to sound like a hypochondriac, but yesterday, i started out with intense bloating, very, very gasey & then developed a really intense pain in the middle right hand side of my back. It was so bad i couldnt twist or turn & it hurt rolling over on my right side. i assumed it was trapped gas. Today, i felt a little bit of relief in the back, now its traveled to the upper right front quadrant & i also feel it creeping up to my neck. i still have intense gas as well. This is not my first rodeo with this, i even had it so bad last December that i had a CT SCAN done of liver, kidneys etc.

my question is, has anyone else experienced this & do you know what is causing it?

I feel like a colicky baby in extreme discomfort - UGH!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had experience with pain and happiness just as you describe...turned out to be my gallbladder. Not trying to alarm you but please ask your GP to check you out for this.

Feel better, love...

• Posted

Hi Katy - i have had an Upper quadrant CT SCAN BACK in January & everything was clear, but i supposed anything can happen in 10 months - will have it checked out again if i dont get relief - my dr told me if i was having a gallbladdar attack i would be in pain, is that true? i just feel like i have discomfort from gas & bloat -

• Posted

Debra as crazy as it may sound..narrow it down to plain old hormones. I know it is difficult to believe or accept that hormones could do all this and make you feel so horrible. When I first start peri that is the first thing my sister warned me that peri will make you think something is seriously wrong with you.

• Posted

yes, if its gallbladder your pain will be very different...not just a discomfort.

You will know like I did. Sort of like knowing false labor from the real thing, lol!

But my wonderful lady gyne has told me that so many of our symptoms are indeed caused by hormonal shifts.

She also said what most of the ladies here either already know or are beginning to find true...we can no longer eat the way we used to!! gotta clean it up!

• Posted

Hah! Good point Katy! We definitely know the difference with that! I Always remember my husband talking to my OBGYN with my second pregnancy/labor & my husband didnt think we should go to the hospital just yet cuz my first child's labor was such a marathon...and the DR said to him " if your wife thinks its time, its time!"

Yes, this whole diet thing is crazy how you body just stops being able to tolerate certain things. i really think i need to investigate this further because i feel like everything bothers me now - i cant even drink cold water without getting a crampy stomach - UGH! thank you for your response -

• Posted

Gassiness!!! Lol!!! not happiness, although I've had that too!!

I hate predictive text!!!

• Posted

I had very similar symptoms for 2-3 years. Ultrasound & CT scans showed normal gall bladder. No stones. After 3 ER visits and countless appts & tests, a HIDA scan showed a 95%+ ejection fraction. Basically a hyper active GB. Surgery resolved it.

• Posted

HI teri - How is a HIDA Scan different from a CT SCAN? What exactly were your symptoms of a hyper active Gallbladdar? Pain? How often did you get attacks? So did they completely remove your gallbladdar?

• Posted

A HIDA scan is an ultra sound where they inject dye in and watch to see how well your gall bladder releases (bile) it if is not working to its full potential it can cause gall bladder attack symptoms. The thing of that is though that it can function well and not so well at different times, I have heard of people who have had a couple and one time it worked well while the next test it didn't. Regardless, as all of us get older our digestion will slow down and this means gall bladder too. We can just start plucking out our organs because of one test, you need a bunch to be sure it's accurate.

• Posted

Have you tried a gas-x. or any gas relieving tablet? It might help to keep some on hand. it all sounds like gas to me...and yes sometimes we can have it for a few days. very uncomfortable! i feel you. Try keeping a gas aid on hand. I carry a few in a baggy in my purse now.

• Posted

HI indifferent - How is your jaw pain? Yes, i tried activated charcoal & got some relief @ least from the gas - i even was putting hot compresses on my stomach, like you do for colicky babies - HAH! OY VEY!

• Posted

well I found out there is a reason for the jaw pain...I need. root canal...oh joy.

and the headaches...they are from something to do with hot tub chemicals. I finally got the headache under control...had a great day yesterday aside from a slight mouth pain...and decided to enjoy the hot tub with hubby. Bad choice. within minutes the pressure was back in my sinus and the back of my head

• Posted

Morning Indifferent - i am sorry about your root canal, but glad its not something more long term like TN -

Yes, i do believe some people have a sensitivity to chlorine & the spa chemicals - i signed up for a aqua aerobics class at the local YMCA, thinking that would be a good exercise solution for my achy body. In addition to to the highly chlorinated pool wreaking havoc on my already dry eyes, it caused me to have an asthma attack. Since so many people use the pool, they have to keep it highly chlorinated and i simply cant be in water like that. Perhaps there are ways to keep your SPA clean without using such invasive chemicals, i would def further investigate that.

As for my back/upper quadrant pain, after 2 days it has definitely settled down, (thank god!) which leaves me to believe its caused from falling estrogen because when i look back in my journal, it seems to happen around the same time of month even though i am post meno - weird, eh? i do think i am going to try & switch over to a plant based diet for the time being though...my body just cant handle food the way it used to - UGH!

• Posted

I get this in my upper right quadrant, and the pain can be so bad I can barely move. I have had ultra sounds only of all my upper organs but nothing is showing. To me it feel like trapped gas as it does pass, but it seems that if gas is going to get trapped it is in that area. I have learned techniques how to get the gas to pass through quicker and it has been helpful. I do know I did have an xray done early this year from my chest down to my pelvis and everything was normal, but they did notice I had a lot of gas. I think this is common in peri as it has something to do with hormones fluctuating. We also could becoming more sensitive to foods as well. None the less, I do feel gas sometimes trapped in my chest and upper back. Not fun!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.