upper thigh muscle cramps

Posted , 110 users are following.

Last night at 11:00 I got really severe muscle cramps in both my upper thighs. They came and went for over an hour. I was totally in the worst pain ever. My husband tried to help me take a warm bath besides drinking 2 bottles of water The pain would come approx. every 5 seconds It went up into my vagina area and then would stop only to start again. My husband took me to the emergency room. They started an IV giving me valium and electrolytes with potassium. My muscle cramps were getting worse. After 5 hours of them I just wanted to die. The doctor finally came back in and they gave me morphine. The muscle spasms stopped right after. They sent me home with a prescription for muscle relaxants. I hadn't done anything strenuous and I drink plenty of water. It was the worst experience I've ever had. What could have caused this and what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

14 likes, 262 replies

262 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I sent you a reply to the above email but do not see it, so I will repeat what I said. I suffered from thigh cramps and discovered that I cannot take any of the statin drugs for high cholesterol.  Also, another medication I took for HBP had to be stopped as well..............hydrochlorothiazide.  Check your medications.  One size does not fit all! Best of luck.  Those cramps are killers!
    • Posted

Hi Jules

Interesting  I stopped my statins because the cramps started when i started to take statins,  only problem was they didnt stop even after i stopped taking the statins

• Posted

I wish I had an answer for  you Chrissy but I don't.  Maybe a doctor can explain what is going on.  For sure I CAN NOT use statins or the other HBP meds I was taking.  When I stopped the drugs the cramps stopped. That was enough of a sign for me to eliminate the drugs.  Good luck.  I feel for you, those cramps can be oh so painful.............Jules

• Posted

Three months ago I started to take magnesium and calcium tablets also spring water,  which has done the trick, I no longer get the cramps and pain anymore,  but i still wont take statins again
    • Posted

Magnesium has helped a lil! I only use the D vitamins that are gel or clear. Have you had a problem with muscle tone or muscle mass loss in your butt or thighs, anyone?

Has Anyone in last 3-6 mo. had a medical or holistic positive diagnosis or remedy? Would love to know Please! I'm like a dog with a bone, there has to be a reason! When I find out I will pass it on!!!

• Posted

This is my thank you post.   I had been having cramps in my feet and legs at night for years.  They started getting worse and there was no help from the medical profession.  I would wake up with a cramp, have to get up as staying in bed was impossible.  After the cramp eased off I would feel sick and next I remembered I would wake up on the floor battered and bruised.  I called 911 the first time when I woke up as I though I had a heart attack or something.  They take me to the hospital and can not find anything wrong.  The cramps keep getting worse and then after the cramp eased off I started having unbelievable pain in the right leg from the thigh to my foot.  It was like it would ease off a bit then intensify past the point of being bearable.  The next night same thing, only it was both legs.  I do not know the words needed to describe the pain.  It started in the right leg.  Last I remember the pain was intensifying in the left leg.  I came to on the floor with a battered noise again.  I have a neurological movement disorder and a degenerated spine.  My thinking was that the muscle cramps were somehow causing the pain in the legs.  The pain was nothing like any muscle cramp pain or the burning pain caused in the thigh by a nerve in the spine.   This pain was far worse then anything I have ever experienced.  I was afraid to go to bed the next night and it was find what is causing it or I would have to say good by to my independence.   I found this site.  If any of you have ever thought that your posting was not worth your time you are very, very wrong.  When I started reading I could not believe that someone else has had this incredible pain.  I am a long time user of morphing for pain control and have been in pain most of my life but nothing like the other night.   I read your post about the statin drugs for high cholesterol.  I have been taking hydrochlorothiazide.  I was also taking Rosuvastatin. I stopped them both.  I live alone and can not drive so will have to wait until I get supplies to get the Magnesium and Calcium tablets and the Tonic water.  Its been five days without the two medications and I have not had one cramp in the daytime or at night. I stayed up for two nights sleeping in my chair, I was afraid to go to bed.  Gone are the uncountable number of cramps in the daytime and some nights 6 or 7.   Thank you all and best wishes that all of you find a cure for your pain.   James 
    • Posted

Hi James.  I have been suffering for years with leg cramps but nothing like the last 3 weeks.  They are day and night from the groin to the toes and are so intense I cannot walk to "walk them off".  I will get them putting on my shoes or bending over to pick something up.  In the last weeks they have been constant and extreme.  I dont understand how anyone can just stop medications for High blood pressure without a downside or serious reprocussions.  I would think that would be very dangerous.  I would be afraid to do that.  I on occasion have to very quickly pull off the highway onto the shoulder and get out of car and try to settle them down!  I just started taking magnesium glycinate with very minor success.  There must be another alternative!  More research is necessary!  Today I was grocery shopping and they hit.  I usually dont get them while walkling.

• Posted

Hi Snurge

I would agree that it would not be wise to stop taking the medications.  I felt like had no choice as I was passing out from the pain.  I was not worried about the statin drugs for high cholesterol as it was not a great problem for me.  

The blood pressure was call the doctor and get a different medication.   I had the new medication Lisinopril 10mg the next day.  Started one pill a day, changed to 2 then a week ago three a day.   I also take metoprolol 25mg 1/2 pill twice a day.   My long time doctor retired and the new doctor is concerned  about the high blood pressure.   It is down during the day 110/66 was the lowest and about 135/76 most of the time.  Morning have always been higher all my life.  176/110 was the highest last week.  I told the doctor I was not going to take my BP until a hour or so after I take the medications.  

I have a BP machine that connects to my computer so I can print out my readings for the doctor.   I am going to try changing when I take the metoprolol, two in the AM and one at night and see if the BP is lower in the AM.   I am still cramp free.  I have also added a electric mattress pad and use it to warm the bed for 1/2 hour before going to bed.  Have you tried the Magnesium, Calcium tablets or the Tonic water?  They have helped others. 

I would have trouble walking as would have pain in my hips that intensified as I walked.  I would stop walking for a short time.  I could walk another city block before having to stop again and another rest.  This also stopped at the same time as the cramps.  

I have to get eating better as I can not find a different medication for my slightly high cholesterol and can not and will not take any statin type.  

I would not hesitate to try a different medication instead of taking another medication to counter the side effects or if the side effects were unbearable.  I wish I could be of more help.  All the best James

• Posted

Hi James60946, I have been having these severe thigh cramps at night, that wakes me from my sleep. I drink plenty of water every day, and still don't know why they're happening now. I've tried everything I can think of, and all suggestions from friends. So far the best thing was told to my friend from her grandfather's friend (a good old country man). He said to take a spoon full of yellow mustard and the cramps would go away. I thought, that can't hurt anything. My cramping and soreness went away almost immediately! Now I take a spoonful before bedtime every night, and sleep with out cramping. It seems to last about 6 hours, I sometimes wake around 6am with some discomfort and take some more yellow mustard, which wards off any cramping. I haven't a clue why it works (possibly the vinegar) but it works for me. I hope it will help you too.
    • Posted

I personally wish to thank each and every participant in this forum as it allows me to help my husband who recently has also been experiencing severe cramps in his left thigh.  Cramps came on suddenly and I could see his fear of not knowing the cause and what he could do to eliminate the discomfort.  I'll share your experiences and suggestions for relief with him and I'm confident that something will help.  Thank you all so much and best wishes.

• Posted

I quit taking Gabapentin and have not had one since. Thanks for reminding me of the correlation of the two. I have been taking my vitamins better too, Calcium mainly, but also Potassium and Magnesium too. I believe the Gabapentin was causing issues with my bladder and since this is a side effect, I stopped taking them. I still take Cymbalta, but that is one thing I cannot go without or I would be crippled. 
    • Posted

1 tblsp of yellow mustard and Theraworx.  Google it.  It helps alot!  How are you doing now?  It's been 11 months.

Suzie

• Posted

Hi Snurge, how are you doing now?  Did you find a solution?  I hope so.  Would love to hear back from you!

Suzie

• Posted

Hello  :-)  Have you found a solution for us?  Would so much love to hear from you!  bless you!

Suzie

• Posted

Did your doctor tell you to stop your HBP meds?  I would be in serious dog do if I stopped.  Mine gets so very high.  It's been 3 years.  How are you controlling your blood pressure now?  

Suzie

• Posted

Shelta05674, I just upped my Gabapentin to two a day and sometimes three. Very interesting. I will try stopping this. I have had a lot fewer episodes since I started taking Magnesium, Calcium, and Zinc tablets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.