upper thigh muscle cramps

Posted , 110 users are following.

Last night at 11:00 I got really severe muscle cramps in both my upper thighs. They came and went for over an hour. I was totally in the worst pain ever. My husband tried to help me take a warm bath besides drinking 2 bottles of water The pain would come approx. every 5 seconds It went up into my vagina area and then would stop only to start again. My husband took me to the emergency room. They started an IV giving me valium and electrolytes with potassium. My muscle cramps were getting worse. After 5 hours of them I just wanted to die. The doctor finally came back in and they gave me morphine. The muscle spasms stopped right after. They sent me home with a prescription for muscle relaxants. I hadn't done anything strenuous and I drink plenty of water. It was the worst experience I've ever had. What could have caused this and what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

14 likes, 262 replies

262 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Roberta, felt the need to reply as your symptoms are identical to mine. As I write, I'm recovering from a bout I had last night. I have a high tollerance to pain but I've never experienced pain like this. It starts in my groin and into my thigh. It's not hard like calf cramps it's inside. Travels right down my leg. Last night it was in both thighs and my two big toes were turned upright.

It comes in waves and just as you think it's easing it starts again. I thought I was going to pass out trying to get out of bed. I've never went to docs but take tonic water and I eat a banana every day. I would like to know if your any further forward with a remedy. 

• Posted

After excessive use of my legs, using a usual stretching action on my side in bed, twisting shoulders away from side where leg is raised slowly, triggers very fast onset of spasms and excruciating pain.

Logically I feel a nerve pinch is occurring. To relieve it I lay on my stomach on the bed and dangle my legs where my knees do not touch the floor. After minute or two the pain subsides.

A hyper mobile sacrum is likely to blame and nerve pinch at the lower spine. Suspending the legs removes pressure and realigns nerve passages.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Hyper Mobile. That is very interesting about what you said concerning the Sacrum part of the spine. I have had lower back surgery about 5 yrs sgo and only losing 45 lbs did I notice any relief to my lower back spine. I will try that technique you explained and hope for the best. Best wishes to you as well
    • Posted

Geraldine, hi there!  It's been 3 years, how are you doing today?  I'd love to hear from you.  Let me know if you found something.

~Suzie

• Posted

I have had the same, but my toes stay turned upward and it is hard to get them to release. I feel the bones crunch when they do. When I tell different doctors about the pain, they get the "You are over 60" look of concern and sympathy and reply, "Hmm I've never heard of this".

• Posted

Hi Roberta:I have a cure for your upper thigh leg cramps! I posted it about a year ago and it has worked for me for the past 10 to 20 years.

Every 1 or 2 weeks I take a Calcium -Magnesium vitamin pill.If I forget and get an upper thigh cramp I immediiately chew up a pill and the cramp is relieved within a minute or less. My doctor told me that this is impossible but it has never failed yet!!

IF IT WORKS FOR YOU PLEASE POST ON THE FORUM SO OTHERS WILL KNOW ABOUT THIS!!

• Posted

Hi Tom, I am going to try your remedy and I will post any results.  I am terrified at the thought of another bout like the one I had Fri/Sat morning, so hopefully it works
    • Posted

Oh I believe you! The same has happened with my Spasms only with VIT D3, which I take 3-1000mg sometimes 4, but it helps within 3 days! Don't know why. But think I need Calcium, Magn, VIT D & D3 & BVit. & hydrate Water! Coconut water wealth smoothies or water wElectrolytes, Bananas & Apples & Pears, Walking or excercise which Iv lacked in the last 2yrs!
    • Posted

I am going to try this immediately & I will document and make sure I post to let you know how it worked for me.

Seems doctors want to diagnosis as RLS but the neurologist stated it was from a pinched nerve in my back that would take major surgery to take care of.

I have used an old type rolling pin to massage my upper leg with... Not just rolling across said area it really bearing down. The pain is so great.... I will try anything but prefer natural solutions.

• Posted

Nah I don't think its a pinched nerve.  Then we'd all have pinched nerves.  I think it's a combination of alot of different things and I cannot figure it out.  Have you tried Theraworx?  Google it.  Helps so much, not a cure but does work.  Would love to hear from you.  Sorry you have had to go through this.

Suzie

• Posted

Any resolution to your cramps?  Would love to hear if you found help!  Bless ya!

Suzie

• Posted

I take calcium and magneseum but I don't find it really a cure all.  How are you doing now?  It's been a few years!

Suzie

• Posted

Roberta, I too get these awful cramps. First time I thought I was having a heart attack. I got out of bed, started feelling sick and then i thought i was going to faint from the pain so i bent over to grab something to stop myself from getting hurt  when i fell and immediately the pain stopped. the 2nd time it came, i jumped out of bed and bent over and the pain stopped again. now this is what i do and within seconds i'm okay. i had 5 days of labor and a nerve in my tooth that sent shock waves of pain into my head, i've had 3 major surgeries and non of that compares to the pain of these cramps. i hope this rather strange way of getting rid of the cramps helps.  Anne Godden-Segard
  • Posted

Hello, I find the best way to relieve my thigh cramps is to vigorously rub Ralgex Heat Cream into my thighs. The heat from the cream and the massaging action seems to work for me. I also keep a can of Ralgex spray handy for initial application whilst I hobble for the cream. Beware of overspray hitting your  privates as that hurts more. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Also google Theraworx.  Helps alot!  how are you doing now?

Suzie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.