Upping Zoloft from 50 to 75 . Positive feedback please!

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hello fellow members

I was on 50 mg for 8 weeks with some slight improvement but was not where I wanted to be. I still experienced anxiety which cause me to hardly eat. I upped my dose to 75mg today and I just really want to hear some positive insight and stories from those who upped their dose and finally started to feel like themselves! Does it take 4-6 weeks or shorter? I have some people who tend to tell me that “ I should be seeing more results this far in the game and maybe switching meds would be best” I on the other hand dont feel the need to switch yet as I still am at a low dose. Anything positive would be great from you all! Thank you. 

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenna - I've been on Zoloft (50mg) for years and have had some breakthrough anxiety so 11 days ago my doctor upped it to 75 mg so we are in the same boat! In that time, I've felt marginally better (I can sleep, I have less anxiety), but I'm not quite there yet. I have ZERO appetite - it's crazy! I was here four years ago and the increase worked like a charm in time (I went back to 50mg a year later). You just have to be patient (easier said than done, I know). Zoloft has been wonderful for me - it's kept my anxiety at bay but hasn't made it disappear altogether. How long have you been on the 75mg dosage? It's still early days for me so I know I have awhile to go. But just know that in time, it will work. Best of luck to you - it's never easy in the beginning, but when things settle, it's worth the wait. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Posted

I was also on Zoloft ( 50 mg) about 2 years ago and it worked wonders for me. I never had any anxiety while on that dose and I never had to increase. This time I did. Today was my first day of 75 so I have some ways to go. I also have zero appetite either ( only in the evenings) I’m hoping this improves once the 75 kicks in. I also hope that this dose is the right one for me! It’s scary but at the same time I want to get to the point where I feel like myself again and 50 mg was not doing it for me. 

Thank you for your feedback and we can continue this journey together. Hoping 75 mg is our magic doseage! 

• Posted

I am the same with the appetite (evenings are the best time to eat). I find that sometimes I don't help my anxiety when I make poor choices that don't assist in the healing process: not exercising (even a brisk walk helps to lift me), staying in bed too long in the mornings (overthinking is not helpful), and spending too much time on Google (if I were paid hourly for my research, I'd be a wealthy woman). I am cognizant of making the right choices, but sometimes it's easier to be lazy. 

And yes, fingers crossed that 75mg will do the trick!

• Posted

Hello Joanne: How are you doing on 75 mg of Sertraline? I am going to increase to 75 mg as the 50 mg is not working. I do hope you are feeling better. I am similar to you that the evenings are better for appetite, staying in bed for a long time, and on Google all the time. Best wishes. Helen
  • Edited

Hi Jenna!  I’ve been on Zoloft for 31 days.  14 days at 25 and 17 days at 50mg.  I’m thinking I need to increase to 75 as well, but trying to remember it’s only been 31 days.  I’m still getting at least one panic attack a day and I’m still reliant on Klonopin which I want to wean off of ASAP.  

I wish you the best of luck and hope 75 does the trick!

• Edited

Thank you and I hope 50’works for you! It’s been a struggle for me but I know once I hit the right dose for me it will work!! 

Keep on trucking 

• Posted

Hi katelyn,

I too rely on klonopin (.5mg pill cut in half AM and PM). I’m switching from 50mg to 75 mg because my mood is still low, my racing thoughts, I worry about everything I can’t control, like families health etc.. (5 weeks now on sertraline and klonopin) did you switch to 75mg? If so, how are you feeling? 

• Edited

Hi ladies! 

I'm so glad I found this forum as I struggle with severe anxiety (GAD) I was on sertraline about 2 yrs ago on 25mg and was doing great and never had to increase. Then I went off with the ok from my Dr. Then in October I had some health issues and relationship problems so we broke up and I moved out. I went back on sertraline in November and it has been so hard. I started really low at 12.5mg and increased every 2 wks and now at 50mg.  I was doing well on 50mg the first 2 wks then I hung out with my ex bf and had an anxiety attack. I took a step back and haven't been myself since. Back to waking up anxious and low appetite. It sucks cause I thought I had found my therapeutic dose but now wondering if I need to increase again. Which means reliving side affects. I've also had a cold/virus which I don't think has helped my anxiety. I'm looking for advice/support and encouraging people to talk to who understand and have positive experiences. I'm wondering if I should stay at 50mg a little longer or increase. Thanks ladies! ??💫💖

• Posted

Hi Alissa 

Sorry you’re going through this rough patch. We are all here for each other. I would personally recommend staying on 50 for at least another 2-3 weeks and if no change then increase. That way if you do increase to 75, the side effects won’t be as bad. I’m currently at 75 and so far I haven’t had many side effects. I hope it stays this way! 

• Posted

Hi Jenna, 

Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel good that we're all here for each other. I've been on 50mg for 5 wks and gonna call my dr this wk to see what I should do. I'd like to keep in touch with you and see how you are doing on 75mg. Can I ask you some questions? What made you increase to 75mg? What symptoms do you have or not have that you don't feel quite yourself yet? Are you working at all! May I ask how old you are? I'm 33 and have had anxiety since I was 21. 

• Edited

Hi Alissa 

I increased to 75 from 50 because I still had a lot of anxiety and low mood and some bad thoughts. I gave the 50 8 weeks and then increased. I feel a lot better than I did at 50 but still get some anxiety when I wake up. I’m hoping this goes away in time. Yes I work part time and it was a struggle for me in 8 weeks ago. I could barely get out of bed and do what I had to do. I am a mom to a 4 year old and also 34. 

• Posted

Hi Jenna,

I will be increasing my dose from 50mg-75mg as after 5 weeks, my mood is low, my anxiety is coming back, racing thoughts, worrying about everything, families health, things I can’t control.  How are you doing in 75mg? 

I’m also a mom of a 13 and 10 year old and am 32. 

• Posted

I am 34 with a son. I know exactly how you feel. The constant worrying and thoughts. I am doing much better on 75 than I was on 50 that’s for sure. My anxiety is still there but much less. I’ve only been on 75 for 2 weeks so I’ll wait a little while longer and see how it goes. If not I’ll up to 100
    • Posted

Thank you so much for responding to both my posts. I really appreciate it. 

Hopefully my anxiety doesn’t increase going to 75mg. I have generalized anxiety and wish sometimes that if I was going to have anxiety at all, that I would have a specific anxiety so I could contain it but of course I have to have anxiety about everything. I can’t watch the news, be on Facebook anymore because it’s worse than the news or hear sad or terrible stories. It hits me like it’s actually happened to me. Or makes me start to think that what if the bad news WAS happening to me and then my mind spirals. 

I would say the 3rd-4th week I was seeing a tiny improvement and was feeling hopeful but the past couple of days I just feel like I’m slowly decreasing. 

I’m glad to hear that 2 weeks on 75mg, you feel a bit better and I hope it keeps up. 

I understand that anxiety will never go away and that it’s actually important to have but when it takes over your life, it just plain sucks. 

• Posted

No worries. I know the feeling. I worry about everything especially illness towards me and my family. It’s awful. Actually, I was on Zoloft a few years back and it took my anxiety completely away. So don’t think it won’t go away because it can. I plan on upping my dose because like I said, I don’t want to have manageable anxiety. I want it completely gone. You may not experience any side effects when upping since it’s been in your system for some time now. Thankfully I haven’t had much ( besides headaches and some insome and decreased appetite ) morning major though. Let me know how 75 goes goes for you! 
    • Posted

Can I ask your advice on how you came off the sertraline and how long it took to come off them and if you had any effects coming off them? Did your anxiety stay gone until you had to start them again and how long was you off them before you had to go back on them? I’m at 62.5 mg and would like to start coming off them but would like some advice. Thanks in advance. 
    • Posted

You’re so right. We shouldn’t have to live with manageable anxiety. I’ve been on medication since my son 10 years ago. I had really bad PPD. I had to switch medication because I woke up one day and it was like the medication just stopped working and I was dibilitated with my anxiety for weeks. 

I hope you’d like to stay in touch to keep track of our progress. 

This weekend is a long weekend for me so that’s the best time to increase my dose. 

Brandi. 

• Posted

Yes !!! Let me know send me a message if you’d like so we can keep in touch! 
    • Posted

I have been on 50mg Sert for over 12wks, and don't feel I am 'quite there' with the anxiety part of my illness .... I have that 'morning dread' for no reason, feel nervous, anxious ... 

I am thinking about upping to 75mg (speaking to my GP next week) but am so hoping I do not get a repeat of the awful side effects I had to begin with - terrible nausea, etc, etc. 

How did you feel when moving up from 50 to 75 mg ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.