Ups and Downs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm on day 34/35 and getting crazy ups and downs, even within the same day which is so unmotivating. Generally my mindset is ok (much better than it was a few days ago) and my anxiety is reducing, which I guess is a positive sign, but struggling with the inconsistency. 

I know by reading this fourm, this is pretty typical at this stage (early days) and should continue to improve (fingers crossed) over the next week or two. 

Has anyone got any tips dealing with this stage?

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi guys maybe you could give me some guidance ... I'm 21 years old and I have really bad panic attacks . I have tried so many meds and this is my 5th mostly antipsychotics in low doses . I'm now started on prozac for anxiety and panic attacks and it's summer . I feel like a failure , I quit 3 jobs because of panic attacks and have run out of jobs and often classes aswell because of my panic attacks .. I am doing nothing for the summer ... this is my last resort to try and sort my mind.. and I can't stop worrying , I am on day 12 and my thoughts have become worse!!! I am fixating and obsessing on things that I don't want to even think about some of the thoughts scare me and some revolt me ... and I can't get them out of my mind since starting the med .. I feel like my thoughts have gotten so bad and I'm blaming the med .. what do I do sad I'm so upset and it's feel like I can't help myself anymore that nothing works and I just want to give up and it's day 12 ... I just not sure if I'm wasting my time and the tablets are doing bad for me instead of good for me ?? The psychiatrist wasn't that much help ... I said I'd take it and she just goes ok .. no one gives a sh*t .. I'm stuck at home unable to work afraid of people and going out .. and may aswell be mom existent .. for this torture is unbearable sad I just want to be fixed . rolleyes I can't do anything normal like most people my age i.e. Drinking or anything ...:////// not that I want to but it would be nice to be happy ... rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Spice 

My situation is quite different, but I don know day 12 for me was an absolute nightmare - panic attacks, crazy crazy houghts and no sleep. At the time i didn't know what was going on, as my GP had simply not explained it to me - I was a mess!

For me things got slightly easier at the end of the fourth week and then very slightly eaiser week on week from there. I'm 7.3 weeks and still get moments of anxiety (the really crazy thoughts are gone - just dobut the meds somethimes) and have other side effects that come and go (but they are easing very slowly). My sleep has improved, but I still have some time to go. 

Everyone says you need to take your time on these meds - normally 12 weeks+ for them to fully settle. I am hopefull I will continue to see improvement throughout the next three -four weeks. 

Hang in there - there is plenty of support here!

• Posted

Thanks craic I just don't understand how the meds can fix my problems since everyone's problems are different .. what would your anxiety be based around and how would ur panic attacks feel? Or what would they feel like.

• Posted

Hi Spice 

My anxiety came from a long period of personal and work stress which I did nothing to manage. Eventually I became anxious about not being able to sleep and I broke down from there. I don't have an anxiety disorder, however my personality type and habits lead to a breakdown. 

It's not for me to offer/give medical advice, but I got the right specialits around me and seeked advice from a quality psychiatrist. At the time I questioned everything and everyone as I didn't think this would help. 

• Posted

Hi Spice,

I know it feels impossible at the moment to get well and trust that anything or anyone can help.

You are right, every person's anxiety/panic attacks/depression can be different and for sure will have different causes.

What the medication does, however, in long term, is that it creates a new and increased and balanced level of serotonin in your brain, so it helps to manage the anxiety, whatever the cause or symptomsa are. Like you will feel that  when the anxiety comes on, it bothers you less.

However, these meds are a long journey solution. They definitely first make you worse before they make you better, so the anxiety can really worsen at first and then it feels very hopeless. I even had suicidal thoughts in weeks 1-4, very bad anxious shivers, bad sleep and appetite and was very fearful of everything and had a very hopeless feeling that I will never get better. But that was the medication.

Eventually I got better. I am 3 months into Fluoxetine 20mg and I feel great now, back to old myself enjoying life.

So my advise would be that you need to stick with one type of medication/one dose consistently for at least 10-12 weeks to see improvements. I know it feels so long, but please stick with it, and remind yourself this is very early days, and that it is normal to feel worse.

Once you feel calmer it would be also good to look into the causes of the anxieties. I would recommend psychotherapy. It really helps me. Once you get better awareness of what is causing your anxieties, you will be also able to recognise and manage the triggers better.

All the best!

Luci

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.