Urethal stricture

Posted , 10 users are following.

i had TURP done three months ago. My Uro tells me I have developed a stricture.  Today I had my second dilation and he put a foley in to keep the uretha open to heal. Any one had similar procedure done I would like to know your experience. Thanks 

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I got mine for kidney stone surgery.  Never know I had one until they try to put a catheter in  After 3 times I told them enough.  Mine is doing good right now I see my urologist next month well be having it checked.  When my doctor and I talked about treatment he said dilation was good and it should last a year.  You have had it done 2 times in 3 months  Maybe you should not have had the turp and went for something else  Good luck  Ken  
    • Posted

Thanks, no I had the first done last week and today on follow up he did it again. Maybe another time and see how it goes. The Dr will gauge the next on how I have progressed with this treatment.  
    • Posted

When he did the treatment were you put out.  The dilation my doctor told me about was different he would put me out and use different size rods.  I hope mine stay good because the throught of metel rods being pushed in me I can feel the pain Lets hope this is you last time  Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

No, it was done in his office. Yes, he did use metal rods. He inserted 4 sizes. It's a little uncomfortable, but not unbearable. 

• Posted

I just find it odd you go into a procedure to fix something and something else goes wrong  Good luck this time  Ken
    • Posted

It is why I am avoiding surgeries as long as I can. In the mean time, I'll do CIC and takes drugs as long as side effects are still acceptable. Hank

• Posted

I had a TURP 5 weeks ago and have had no problems apart from some initial discomfort when I started to pee again. I don't exactly pee like a horse but at least the system seems to be working again. I tend to pee with more vigour at night rather than during the day. I hope your post-op difficulties are soon resolved. Going back onto a Foley would be my worst nightmare!

• Posted

So what causes stricture? 
    • Posted

Hey buddy.  A stricture can be caused by any procedure you have.  It's going in an out of the urethra with the instramants.  It turns into scare tissue which froms the strictures which can cause more problems  Ken  

• Posted

I guess it could it just depands on how carefull the doctor is.  I got mine from kidney stone surgery.  I had to go 3 times and he when in and out of the urethra which cause scare tissue which turned into a stricture.  Never know I had one.  I throught all the year I had a small steam was just from getting old.  Yes FLA will not case a strict put in the other end  Take it easy  Ken  
    • Posted

Somewhat similar situation. I had greenliight laser about 12 years ago.

About 3 years ago I had back surgery. Recently, in evaluating my currrent prostrate situation, the cystoscope would not pass into the bladder--a stricture.  Doc wanted to do a DCIU.  But this procedure has a poor long term record.  I have become very leary of surgery because of complications that can result.  Dilation sounds interesting.  Do you know if any docs specialize in this procedure or is it so routine that generally done?  Did you have other studies done to evaluate the dimensions of the stricture?

• Posted

I have my stricture checked every 3 or 4 month's my doctor does a scope he sheckes the stricture the prostate and the bladder.  He checked to make sure the implant.are still in the right place.ai would have it again.  Was not much trouble and no side effects.  Which I love.  We have talked about dialation but he said the it can only last up to a year the best is surgery.  But the only one I would do is the graft one not the end to end.  Not going to cut anything off of my urethra.  We shell see I go nect month  Ken  Before you had the cystoscope done did you have a small steam and have to force yourself.  When I wentto the doctor on one of the times I had my stricture check it went through the stricture but he could not get it in the bladder prostate was close tight. He only told me about the urolift nothing else.  I bet another doctor would have wanted to do a turp or a GL  Not for just keep moving    

• Posted

I had a urolift done 2 1/2 years ago.  All is good  They put 4 implants on by prostate and pulled it apart...Ken 
    • Posted

Did not have a major problem before the stricture was found, as I was concerned about moderate BPH symptoms. Never had to force myself to urinate, although urination at night usually takes a little while to get started.  I am fortunate at this point to have the luxury of being able to listen to guys like you, and speak with different urologists.  Probably will have image sudies done. Possilbe I may not have any remedial actions taken for some time.  Wonder--if I need major surgery elsewhere on my body, how do they proceed if they can't catheterize me?  Also wonder if I can just leave the stricture, and have some non-invasive procedure (PAE,FLA GAT GOREN) to deal with BPH symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.