Urethra Pain while urinating [NO STD : MRI & CT SCAN NORMAL] Lasting over 2 months

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there,

I am a 24 year old, rather healthy male , experiencing extreme pain while urinating. More specifically, Its painful to start the flow of urination, after I get started , pain persists during urination, but is most painful upon initiating. I can still gets erections & ejaculate with minimal pain, but Urinary pain is amplified after sexual activity.

In late February I was tested for all STD's (HIV, gonnoreah, clamydia, trich ect) , I also gave multiple urine samples to my doctor which came up as normal. All blood work and urine samples showed normal. with urgent care and urologists.

In March I started a 4-5 week course of doxycycline & also adding Bactrim in later weeks, with ZERO signs of getting better.

Also in March (I had a flare up) I went to a urologist who perscribed me "Uribel" which amplified my pain to an instant 10/10 , in which i almost went to the emergency room. i feared I wouldnt be able to use the restrrom anymore. The pain was devastating & I still have pain in my bladder from that medication

I also had a CT scan (w contrast) & an MRI (with & without contrast) All showing normal , with nothing wrong.

At this point Im frusterated & begining to lose hope. My doctor would like me to visit a urologist & nurogologist for possible "Nerve response or damage" issues. My dr. also recomended a cycstoscopy (which im terrified of doing, since my urthra is in constant pain)

SIDE NOTE TO KEEP IN MIND:

-My testicles have begun to feel pain the past 2-3 weeks, hanging lower than normal

• All symptoms seem to feel worse at night, 3- 5 hours before bed, it worsens
  • Lasted roughly 9-10 weeks so far,

PLEASE HELP !

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all. Here is what I've learned. Sharing in case it helps someone, but I fully recognise that each case is potentially quite different.

I have had the same symptoms - constant feeling at penis tip of needing to urinate, some urethra irritation etc. No infection showed from urine culture and urine dipsticks always normal. Cystoscopy had no unusual findings. No bladder infection.

A few points:

Semen culture found the bug - an E. coli strain in my case. Multi-antibiotic resistant. Showed as heavy growth. This allowed the choosing of an antibiotic that had sensitivity. Microscopy showed same i.e. abundant presence of bacteria. Was simply not being captured by urine culture. This can happen. Semen culture is often not done for a variety of reasons (practical reasons as well as microbiological ones), but sometimes the interpretation of the result is very clear. Consider it with your doctor.

Try to see if D-mannose helps. I have managed to somewhat control urethra symptoms (not eliminate) with regular intake of D-mannose. This is only of benefit with E. coli. If you don't have confirmed E. coli infection it still may be worth trying in off-chance that it is E. coli. This bug is the most common cause of UTI and bacterial prostatitis. D-mannose is a naturally occurring simple sugar present in some foods. It has various functions in nature, but here it works by binding the outside of E. coli. Hence, the E. coli can not attach to the tract, and gets more easily eliminated with urination. According to most manufacturers, it is safe to use, as the body does not use this sugar readily for energy and most of it gets eliminated in urine. Its available in health food shops. Many women use it for bladder infections. Its use in men is less common. Consider with your doctor, esspecially if diabetic.

These are just some of my experiences. I hope they are helpful to someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.