URGENT HELP NEEDED - DIAZEPAM

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi was hoping someone can help me. I suffer with severe anxiety disorder. I went to the doctors 2 weeks ago and I was in an extreme state of panic. He prescribed me 5mg diazepam (14 tablets) to take twice a day. I did this for a few days and then just started taking 1 at night and had a follow up appointment with my GP who prescribed me 7 more tablets to come down off them slowly. For the past week I have just been having 5mg at night and have taken them in total for 13 days. I still have 3 tablets left. I have got myself into such a state of panic now that I am going to get withdrawal symptoms; I have a massive fear of having seizures and having read this can be one of the withdrawal symptoms. Can anyone shed some light on this after only being on these for 13 days. Thank you and sorry for the war and peace story x

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi . Stop panicking. You will be okay. In order to build up an addiction where you'll get withdrawals , you need to be taking them daily or nightly for 3-4 weeks.

You 100% won't get seizures , please stop taking them if they have worked for you , then please stop.

If you continue taking them , you will build up a dependency. But right now you'll be fine. Good luck...

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Raymond. I'm going to see my GP on Thursday. I've still got 3 tablets left but do not want them. I haven't been on them 3-4 weeks only for 13 days. They worked for me when I was in a state of panic but don't think I will ever take them again. The withdrawals are far too scary.

• Posted

Ashton manual specified the dangers of benzos and how they must be tapered very slowly.

NICE Guidelines now specify that benzos must NOT be prescribed for insomnia and not prescribed for longer than 2 to 3 DAYS.

It is not just the problem of addiction that has to be considered nut their effects  on the brain and body. Personally I think  benzos should be banned as they cause more problems than they could ever solve.

• Posted

2 to 3 DAYS?  I was prescribed them for 7 days and then given a few more to taper off with, which I did but ive still got 3 left. I havent had any now for 5 days. But ive had bad insomnia and restless legs at night even after this short duration of time.
  • Posted

There is a reason that you are suffering with anxiety dosorder and diazepam won't take that reason away - it will just mask how you are feeling for a while but not for long. It is best to lllook at and release the core of the anxiety. It doesn't sound like you have been on the drug for long so you should be OK to taper off the diazepam quicker than most people would. Please dont just stop taking them start reducing gradually. Diazepaam has a very long half life and that should help. 

• Posted

Yes thanks Coby I reduced from 5mg twice daily just to one at night over the last week.i definitely do not want to be on these again for anxiety. I'm going to look more into mindfulness etc. The withdrawal effects I bet for people on them longer than 3 weeks must be horrific.

• Posted

I agree with raymond08985 that you should stop panicking - it will get you nowhere. Just slowy taper off the drug - don't CT. i don't agree about the 3-4 weeks that raymond08985 talks about. Diazepam takes around 3-4 lweeks to be fully integrated in the body - you can become dependent after 2 weeks which is why doing off the drug slowly is a good idea

• Posted

Thanks coby I have three 5mg tablet so left and haven't taken any now for 2 days so I am unsure how to taper those last 3. 

• Posted

Hi, try not to panic about withdrawal symptoms. I know it’s hard not to do, when we suffer from extreme anxiety we tend to worry and fear the worst. You were on diazepam for a very short time at a very low dose. Do the taper and withdrawal should be very mild to none at all. I tapered off of the smallest dose of Ativan after a year and I have little to no withdrawal symptoms and I have been off completely for well over a week. Just a little bit of anxiety here and there but I am managing. Have you tried CBT therapy for your anxiety? I have just started and it’s already helping and I am looking into natural supplements to help. Also journaling and getting back to my faith has helped greatly. These Big Pharms are not truthful about how dangerous these drugs are. I read that for every pharmaceutical medicine out there, there is a natural alternative that is just as effective. Take some deep breathes and try to go do something you enjoy. You will get through this just fine. Also, seizures are more of a concern for stopping cold turkey and being on a Benzo for a much longer time and at higher doses. Good luck and try to stay positive! 
    • Posted

Hi Chelsea thanks for your reponse, i agree absolutely about the pharmaceutical companys, some of the side effects and withdrawals are hideous!!  Yes i am currently receiving CBT at the moment for my anxiety. Like i said i have 3 tablets left and havent taken any now for 2 days so i am unsure as to how to taper?? Thanks x
    • Posted

Valium has a very long half live ( stays in your blood for a long time) If you are going to experience withdrawal symptoms it will probably a delayed reaction. You haven't been on too long so if you decide to not take any more you are probably not going to experience the same withdrawal symptoms (if you experience any at all) as other people have who have been on higher doses and for longer periods of time. 

• Posted

Hi. Well done for not taking any diazepam for 2 days, especially having a few left.

You could split the tablet in half if you felt like you were getting any sort of withdrawal symptoms, but I would only do that as a last resort because every day you stay away from these horrible tablets is a triumph for you, it might not feel like that at the time but it definitely is.I

You are on a low dose and having been taking them for to long , so you should be fine.

Try not to listen to other people's experiences because more often than not their usually horrific and then the mind goes into catastrophe mode.

Have you tried meditation or mindfulness. It's very , very good.

• Posted

Thanks Raymond. I’m trying my very best not to take even half of the 5mg because I don’t want to be back to square one.  I just feel a little sick at the moment. It’s nearly 48 hours since I had one. I really don’t know how people come off who have been on them for months/years my hat is off them 😃

• Posted

I agree with Raymond. If you haven’t taken any for 2 days then I wouldn’t take anymore. You may feel icky for a little bit but you will be better off for it. I honestly can’t imagine you having any bad withdrawal symptoms and if you do they should be very short lived. I have been off Ativan for a week and half now after being on the lowest dose for a year and I am doing good. A little rebound anxiety here and there and headache but it’s hard to tell if that’s from withdrawal or just my allergies and stuff going on right now that I am nervous about ☺️ Not everyone’s tapering and withdrawal stories are horrible. I felt the same as you though when I wanted to get off, I read so many horror stories that I had caused myself to go into a panic! This website and the people on here were so supportive and got me through! 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Chelsea. I have read so many horror stories from people who have only been on them 14 days like I have so I assumed it would happen to be especially as it's exacerbated by my anxiety. My mind tells me right that's it these withdrawals will be awful and you will be really poorly....wouldn't wish anxiety on my worst enemy it's robbed me the last 6 years of my life. I really really appreciate everyone's support through this 😀

• Posted

I read the same thing about people who were on similar doses and similar time frame as me. All horrible! But just remember, the reason we read nothing but horror stories about withdrawals is because the people who go through horrible withdrawals are the ones who talk about it, who need too and are looking for support. We don’t hear the good stories because those people don’t talk about it as much or have the need to. I wish more would, it would bring more hope to people then fear. I didn’t have a bad taper or withdrawal at all. Of course I am freshly off, but Ativan has a short half life and I should have seen symptoms by now if I was going to. Also, remember not everyone is the same or will react the same. Keep us posted and let us know how you are doing ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.