Urgent Help. Newly diagnosed IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone. I hope I get quick responses to this since I'm sooo soo tensed. 

so this thing started more than a month ago. I had a bad stomach flu. Went in emergency and the doctor treated it with instant drips and a week's medication. it was fine till then and soon after the medicines ended, I started having episodes of diarrhea again. I notices that this was happening whenever I was eating outside food or something spicy. This time I consulted a gastronentrologist and he gave me a medication for another week and uncountable blood and stool tests. i got all of those done and everything came out to be normal. On 16th july i again had diarrhea. This time I went to another gastroentrologist since the previous one's appointmenet wasnt available. i took all the reports and he told me that this according to him is IBS. As it started after a stomach flu and it triggers specifically when you're eating bad or taking dairy products. 

Now since then ive started to take care of my diet a lot. Im a big foodie and I havent even tasted anything junk since then. But I'm loosing weight despite my stools are now normal. I get stomach cramps whenever i take some kind of tension or stress and feel like i need to empty my bowel. But as soon as I relax myself, the symptom goes away. 

My major concern is that Im eating way too less like hardly one time in a day properly and that too extremely nonspicy and nonoily. So can I suppose that this is the reason why I'm loosing weight? 

Did anyone else too loose weight in IBS?

Or is this really IBS or some kind of cancer? ( according to google) sad 

Im just soo worried that Im unable to eat anything properly. 

Can anyone else please too share if they have faced similar issues like mine?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds like post infectious IBS.  When all your tests are negative, IBS can be confirmed.  You have had many tests.  Once you accept your diagnosis, you will start to cope with it better.
    • Posted

Yes post infectious IBS is what my doctor said. I had my blood and stool tests done and yup they all were normal. But no internal test like CT scan or endoscopy has been done yet. Do you think there is a need of one? 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with IBS without any of these two tests because my doctor thought it was unnecessary.  I would trust your doctor’s diagnosis and not bother with these tests unless they are recommended or something else crops up that requires these tests to be done.
  • Posted

Hi. I have IBS and I had very bad and regular diarrhoea attacks together with bloating and very painful cramps.  Yours sounds like IBS too. You can try taking probiotics to help digestion. There are many types available. I am taking Pro-Gut with every meal 3 times a day which has helped me. I also take peppermint oil capsules 200mg 3 times a day before a meal. This helps to control bloating. The brand I use is Colpermin. If you have bad cramping try Buscopan. Also google Low FODMAP diet and the research done by Monash University. I have been following this diet and it has helped to control my IBS attacks. If you are worried that you may have something more sinister like cancer, then go see your doc and have all the necessary scopes and tests done to rule it out. Hope this is helpful and you feel better soon. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.