Urinary track infection

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had uti before and also uterus infection due to E.coli 2/3 months ago. Again Blood was seen (no idea where it came from, either urinarytract or uterus). i went to my doctor who suspected me of uti and pescribed cefixime. I started the antibiotic, i had it for two days already, but now the urine culture reports came and its shows all normal and my doctor says the blood is from uterus. If i have no uti, do i still need to have the antibiotic to complete the dosage? Or should i still have it for 3 more days to complete dosage. It is causing me terrible gastritis.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your doc probably gave you Cefixime as you'd recently had a previous infection.  It's quite a strong antibiotic which is no doubt why you have gastritis.  I take it the doc got someone to tell you the results of your culture or you could have asked about continuing then.  I suggest you phone and ask about continuing the course.  It does seem stupid to take any antibiotic if you haven't got an infection and they should have said whether you could stop taking it when they gave you the results.

I can't tell you to stop, obviously, so you would have to ask the doc!  I CAN tell you to take probiotics (a good live natural yoghurt would do the trick) to help repopulate your gut with the good guys as the AB will have knocked out everything, good and bad.  Good luck!

• Posted

I visited a senior gynaecologist and she suggested me that if i have no infection, i need not continue AB. So i discontinued using cefixime. I hope if the UTI appear again on some later date, it won't cause me much trouble. Thanks, for your response smile . I am certainly having yogurt as u suggested.

• Posted

That's good to hear and great that you needn't continue with the AB. 

I'm just going to take this opportunity to warn you about fluorquinolone antibiotics as you may be offered Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin (or one of the others ) one day.  They can be much worse than the cefixime and can also have devastating and long term disabling side effects (the FDA announced about this last July and now Europe are reviewing them).  Stay safe and take care - and warn others!

• Posted

Your comment really scared me. I had UTI for the first time two years back, my urologist pescribed me cifran 500.. since then i m having back and knee pain as well as confusion. I don't know if this is my speculation. Is there any way to recover the damage?

• Posted

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you but perhaps it's a good thing that I mentioned it.   Cifran is a new name to me for Ciprofloxacin, although I know it goes under many different names - I certainly didn't know you'd taken it previously when I wrote my warning.

The best thing you can do is to make absolutely sure you never take Cipro or another FQ ever again (e.g. Levaquin, Avelox etc).  Make sure you check with your doctor/pharmacist whenever you have an antibiotic prescribed and ask for something that isn't an FQ - say your allergic which is technically true as just a couple more tablets might give you a full-blown floxing (FQ toxicity). Joint and muscle pains are common symptoms as is confusion and other CNS problems (insomnia, anxiety).  Having said that they may not ever be  connected - there's no way of telling now.

Check out this discussion on here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

and take a look at Floxy Hope.  Most people on there have been affected much more badly than you have (or possibly have!) yet most recover in time  - and know never take any more.  Healthy diet, gentle exercise (never strain) and stay positive ar all keys to recovery.

Your urologist should never have prescribed it for a UTI unless it was so severe that your life was in danger.  Sadly, most doctors don't realise the dangers. 

Stay safe and look after yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.