Urinating problem

Posted , 9 users are following.

Most of the participants in this group know my story with prostate cancer. I just have a question about an issue that I am having while urinating. Urination burns and is painful. I went and had my urine tested, and it came back clear. I am a month and a half behind my biopsy. It feels like a urinary track infection or bladder infection. But, like I indicatefd my urine test is clear.

Just asking if any one else has had these symptoms after a biopsy or any time.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rodger

I've been folowing your posts since you joined the forum.

Please excuse me if I am too blunt. As I recall you are 75 and suffer from health anxiety and other health issues. You have had a biopsy showing Gleason 6. 

You have posted asking about  opinions of surgery and radiation as I recall. At the same time myself and others have repeatdly told you to slow down and that at your age you have a 90% chance of dying with rather than from prostate cancer,

You subjected yourself  to a biopsy and it seems you, like many others are uffering from the side affects of the procedure.

Again, everyone must make their own decision, but from my reading of your posts you seem determined to have treatment. I  would just caution you that treatment does not equal cure. I'm a few years younger than you but there is no way in the world I would subject myself to any form of active treatment at 75 with your Gleason score.

I know from your posts you have  daughters that no doubt they are pushing you to treat, as is my daughter and young wife. But for me the quality of the life I can give them as I grow older is my primary concern, Having a dignosis that could kill me far in the future is not something I will burdon them with today.

With a Gleason 6 we can go down the path of treatment after treatment with more and more side effects or we can just monitor our diagnosis, I don't know you or your situation,  but from the outside looking in, with a Gleason 6, at 75 I would enjoy life and forget I even had that biopsy that shows  you, like 75% of the men you age have PC that will never kill you

Of course do what you think is best for you and if this offends you please disregard as its not my intent.  

• Posted

jwrhn1951,

No way I am offended by your posts. Your words have given me hope that this dreadful disease can be manageable by active surveillance.

before I had the biopsy I was consulted by my family Doctor he advised me, that they were an equal  argument for, and an argument against a biopsy.

I elected to have the  biopsy, because I wanted to know if cancer was in my body. MY Gleason score showed two cores 10% cancer. One core was a 3+3= 6 and the other was 4+3=7  My Gleason was 6 but, I also had a 7.  The 7 is why I am so concerned and of course anxiety.

The prolaris score of my biopsy remains will give me some direction I might take. The score will determine the aggressive, non agressive of the cancer cells. And much more. I invite you to google Prolaris, if you havn't already and tell me what you think of the genetic testing.

You are absolutely correct saying I am suffering from the side efects of the biopsy. I truly appreciate you have taken your time to give me your opinions, Your opinions make a great deal of sense. However, I am going to pursue all medical advice and tests that are avilable to me, and be proactive. Thanks again for sharing your opinions and advice, I am most appreciative!

Roger

• Posted

Hi David,

I don't know what an uptick is, but I assume you agree with jwrhn. Which is good!

• Posted

I wholeheartedly agree with jwrhn. Put simply, around 75% of men aged 75 will have Prostate Cancer. All you have done by having a biopsy is confirmed that you are in that 75%. Personally, I would be ecstatic that you now know that your PCa is only 3+3 (barely PCa at all!) This is very unlikely to have any impact on your life and I would put it all behind you. My dad had a GS of 4+3 (untreated) for almost 20 years and died of something completed unrelated. Now is the time to get on with your life and stop worrying.

All the best

• Posted

David,

Like your Dad, My Gleason was 4+3 and one core 3+3.

You Guys are certainly helping in easing  my anxiety and worries. Yes, at age 75 and beyond your body is Susceptible to any thing. Lots of my friends my age have already died from something else. I am very grateful that I found Patient, and you guys in here. You just don't get sincerity and honest of mind any where else. That, I am also grateful!

Roger

• Posted

I fully agree. I am decades younger than roger and am due to have a biopsy in June. All the literature  I have read indicates that aged above 70 or 75 not to bother with any significant treatment. In fact I know some highly regarded physicians, who are neither urologists nor oncologists, who at aged in their 60s don't bother checking the PSA, much less undergo a MRI or biopsy.

the fact is that 3% of folks diagnosed with PCa will die of it. 97% will die with it. The older you are the more likely something else will get you, and it won't be PCa.

Thid is not a cancer, say like lung cancer. It does not have to be acted upon immediately. Certainly not at a Gleason 6, not unless the patient has other things medically going on that may impact on the cancer if nothing  is done.

• Posted

I'm 79, had EBRT 15 mos. ago and have had intermittant painful burning on urination since then.  Tests reveal no infection.  On Tamsulosin & Pyridium--neither helps.  Drs. are stumped and I don't want to go through anymore painful testing.  PSA within norm.  Wish I had never had the radiation treatments now.
  • Posted

Did you try to have a healthy diet with lots of vegetable and less sugar and dairy? Also try to do exercise, even walk or jog every day would work as well.
    • Posted

rob,

My exercise consist of walking at the mall. I walk 2 miles . sometimes just one. I do all my yard work, mow trim and general maintenance. I eat a lot of asparagus and broccoli. I take 4 tabs if IP-6 & InositolI daily.

My  libido has declined since I had a biopsy. My erections were good for a 75 year old, but since biopsy not so good.  But not completly gone.This week I will learn form Prolaris wheter or not my cancer is non agressive ot agressive. I had one MRI that showed cancer was still within the prostrate.

• Posted

How many biopsies have you had?

Are you saying your libido declined after your first biopsy?

Was it a transracial or transperineal biopsy?

After the biopsy and before you noticed a fall in your libido were you on any medication?

• Posted

sorry, my iPad spell check played up. I meant to say " trans rectal or trans perineal"
    • Posted

Hi Barney,

I have only had one biopsy. And one is enough as far as I am concerned. Yes, libido did decline after biopsy. It was a Trans rectal biopsy. I was on medication Tamsulosin, protonic and Lovastatin. Libido was good for a 75 year old before biopsy. Erections was good also.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear of the libido problem. Do you or  your urologist attribute this to the biopsy per se or to the medications? Has the libido returned to what it was prior to the biopsy?
    • Posted

Barney,

I didn't discuss the libido problem,but I did tell him about their burning and discomfort I was having uriinating. He contributed that to them biopsy. No, my libido has not returned to what it was. I am 75 years of age, so I probably cannot expect to bounce back like a younger guy. MO. The biopsy is invasive and takes time to recover..

• Posted

Sorry about their instead of the my device is not working right

• Posted

I know that urination pain and discolouring is due to the biopsy. This settles down in time. Semen may also be discoloured. A drop in libido is a known function of Flomax (Tamsulosin).

if I were you I would, ask

why you are in Flomax?

howlong you'll be on it? and

whether you can be put on a drug with less severe side effects?

• Posted

I was taking Flomax (Tamsulosin) before the biopsy and my libido was normal. I did look at side effects of this drug and decreased libido is one of them. Instructions on the drug is taken twice a day. I only take one.I will discuss  this with my Doc. 
    • Posted

You are correct about Flomax lowering libido. This is further exacerbated by the fact that in some cases a biopsy may cause erectile dysfunction for up to  three months before the erectile performance returning to pre biopsy status.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.